Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Choosing our first carpet?

Page 1 of 1
Ok

We've just bought our first house and will be repainting and recarpeting (and in that order!) before we move in. I've spent a fair bit of time reading up on carpets here on the forum, as well as on various websites online, namely Choice. I've also visited a few stores and so have a fair idea of what is out there and what it's going to cost us

We've found a beautiful Victoria Heavy Duty (maybe even EHD) SDN cut pile twist (I think its a twist). It was $179 per BL metre, plus underlay (top one quoted at $40 per BL metre) and install. He told us that he could do that for $200 for BL metre, given we're looking at about 30BLMs.

Now, I'm not the kind of person to take a first offer, so I will be asking for a better deal, but do you think it is a good carpet? It will be in the bedrooms, the hall way leading into the bedrooms from the tiled kitchen area, and the rumpus room-not a thoroughfare (which will ideally be for the kids when they come along).

We're well prepared to spend the most that we can afford, but really that could go on forever as we've been saving up for this lol.

Would love either a "Yep go for it" or "Nup forget it" from the seasoned professionals
what does "BL' mean? carpet is normally linear metre or square metre. what does the "b" stand for??
broadloom metre ?
Sorry yes I meant broadloom metre. The same is lineal I believe. That was how it was priced in the shop
The high end sdn's are around $300(+) per linear metre so at your price you'll be getting a midrange quality carpet which should be fine. I tend to think with carpet if you can afford more then spend more because it really is worth it with carpet in terms of quality, stain resistance, how long it lasts etc. It sounds like you're getting a good deal on the underlay so it sounds like a pretty good discount. Personally I would see if you could stretch it and look at the slighly more expensive ones ($200 ish per lm) because they seem to get better around that price.
$300 a linear metre? Really?

Western distributors is less than that for some very decent quality carpet AFAIK. Also McMahon's was advertising new SDN for under $200 linear metre and I believe it was stainmaster, they said it was new but I'm not 100% sure
theanonyuser
$300 a linear metre? Really?

yep, that's for the top end sdns
Thanks everyone.

We have decided to go with something a little more expensive. We are also leaving the tiles in the hallway and rumpus room ( I really wanted carpet for the warmth and comfort, but we'll just get a runner and rug-more practicle ), so we can afford to spend more on a better carpet since we need fewer metres.

We're going with a beautiful 65 ounce cut pile SDN. It's a smidge over $230 installed with top underlay. We love the look and feel and it's the most we can afford lol. We're also buying from an independant retailer which I would prefer too.

Thanks for your help
Related
29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

17/04/2024
Choosing easier lot for extension/renovation.

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thanks for the reply. Had a look at the suggested lot and found other problem on easement, which i will asked in separate thread.

26/04/2024
Choosing lighting pendants that will comply with standards

Lighting + Lighting Design

I am trying to find lighting for kitchen, dining areas but looking online, I don’t know if there are specific details I should be looking at to make sure any lights I…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum