Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Bamboo Flooring in Perth

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We are currently collecting quotes for flooring and I need to get an idea for the cost of bamboo.

I have visted Bamboo*le, but found it very $$$

I don't want to copmprimise on quality, but I would really like to hear from anyone who has received a quote for Compressed OR engineered bamboo flooring in Perth fro less thank $100psmtr.

I am south also south of the river, something close would be great.

Thanks
sheznay
Hi all,

We are currently collecting quotes for flooring and I need to get an idea for the cost of bamboo.

I don't want to copmprimise on quality, but I would really like to hear from anyone who has received a quote for Compressed OR engineered bamboo flooring in Perth fro less thank $100psmtr.

Thanks

Hello sheznay

You will be very lucky to find good quality bamboo compressed flooring for less than $100m2, the going rate for A grade Bamboo flooring is $105 - $110m2 and then moisture barrier would be on top of that price.

The place where you can get cheap bamboo is at the auctions, but these will be B-grade bamboo, then you will have to get an installer, there rates are about 30m2 just to lay it.The cost at the auction will be around 30m2. The glue is about $10 per m2, beading is about $5 l/m. The moisture barrier is $110 per 20m2. So all up you would be looking at $80.50m2.

Then of course there is no warranty

Sometimes just looking at price is not always wise, I think looking at the company how long they have been around, there product, who installs for them, what warranty they do, if the have any testimonials. If they let you see them install a bamboo floor. All these points must be considered as well as the price.

Tread you own path!!!!
Hi there,

Not sure why Perth is so much dearer than melbourne. I have also decided to put bamboo in our new house, and done all the reading here. Gone to a few shops on the western side of melbourne, and nearly all of them are around the $90-$95/m2 mark fully installed. Shops visited were Perfect Timber Floors, Carpet choice, Carpet court, Floorworld and a few others. Only managed to find one person who is dearer - Mossowood brand (note- not the mossowood bamboo), and one person who is cheaper ($80 fully installed including underlay etc).

My main concern is the level of formaldehyde in the the bamboo and being able to verify it somehow. Two levels, E1 and E0. I wanted E0, might be overkill, but being science background, less VOC the better. Managed to narrow it down to 3 brands, Mossowood, Genesis, and ARC bamboo. Best value was Genesis. Then came across these other guys who advertised in the local paper, visited their showroom, spoke at length to the owner(who is also the importer, they import directly), and was quite impressed with their product and product knowledge. They are importing directly from the guy who started Style brand, and now is seperated from them. They came in at $80/m2 fully installed.

Simply bamboo, I realise you are trying to help ppl on the forum while also promoting your business. You have given a ton of info that has helped me and others I am sure. But I just don't understand some of the things you keep mentioning, eg lower priced bamboo is B grade - that is not neccessarily the case, and shop warrrenty rather than mnf warranty - the shop warrenty is only as good as the shop, could be a case of here today and gone tomorrow. Same as the mnf. And once one reads all the fine print on the warrenty documentation, regardless of mnf or store, it is going to be a nightmare to deal with.

Regards,
K.
kermut
Hi there,

Not sure why Perth is so much dearer than melbourne. I have also decided to put bamboo in our new house, and done all the reading here. Gone to a few shops on the western side of melbourne, and nearly all of them are around the $90-$95/m2 mark fully installed. Shops visited were Perfect Timber Floors, Carpet choice, Carpet court, Floorworld and a few others. Only managed to find one person who is dearer - Mossowood brand (note- not the mossowood bamboo), and one person who is cheaper ($80 fully installed including underlay etc).

My main concern is the level of formaldehyde in the the bamboo and being able to verify it somehow. Two levels, E1 and E0. I wanted E0, might be overkill, but being science background, less VOC the better. Managed to narrow it down to 3 brands, Mossowood, Genesis, and ARC bamboo. Best value was Genesis. Then came across these other guys who advertised in the local paper, visited their showroom, spoke at length to the owner(who is also the importer, they import directly), and was quite impressed with their product and product knowledge. They are importing directly from the guy who started Style brand, and now is seperated from them. They came in at $80/m2 fully installed.

Simply bamboo, I realise you are trying to help ppl on the forum while also promoting your business. You have given a ton of info that has helped me and others I am sure. But I just don't understand some of the things you keep mentioning, eg lower priced bamboo is B grade - that is not neccessarily the case, and shop warrrenty rather than mnf warranty - the shop warrenty is only as good as the shop, could be a case of here today and gone tomorrow. Same as the mnf. And once one reads all the fine print on the warrenty documentation, regardless of mnf or store, it is going to be a nightmare to deal with.

Regards,
K.

Yes I agree with you saying that it might not be true with the price of bamboo flooring being cheap may not be B - Grade.
However I`ve been in business for over 7 years and have imported bamboo all that time, and must say in the beginning I went over to china and saw so many factory with not very good quality bamboo. And have been offered cheaper bamboo flooring all the time, and there as to be a point where how cheap can the factory go, and the product not be good quality.
So I go back to the question that good quality is always a certain price.
The main product here in Perth is solid compressed. Yes you can get engineered compressed bamboo with ply base and just a thin lay of compressed on the top. Of course this will be cheaper.
But in Perth you should be paying around $100-110m2 for the solid compressed.
I always say that you should always do your homework and visit at least 3 company that just sell Bamboo flooring, and not companies who do a bit of everything (which can give you wrong advise because they don`t know all aspect of all there products)
People who sell just bamboo flooring will know a lot more about there products.

Also I agree about the warranty that in fact the shop who gives it can also go under and not follow through with the warranties. So it is important you do your research into the companies you visit, for example if a companies offers bamboo a lot cheaper than everybody else and they have only been around for a short time. Would it be wiser to go for a company that as been around a lot longer even if you have to pay a little more?

The main reason I am here is because I`m passionate about bamboo, and I want to give people my honest advise and my experences, because not only do I import the bamboo flooring I also lay the flooring on a daily basis and have been doing so for the past seven years.

What was the name of the bloke who started the style brand?
Thanks for this guys.

We are still torn between wood and bamboo. I do like the idea of bamboo and more importantly the look... but if I can get traditional wooden floors for $80smt laid then... the wood will win.

Which is the reason the post
Hi Simply Bamboo,

Thanks for replying to my post. You are right in almost all aspects of your reply. And it is certainly good advice to visit several shops before deciding on something.

I have only been looking at sold strand woven bamboo (which is the same as compressed bamboo, I think). If you were in Melbourne, I would have certainly come to you to see what you had to offer anyway. lol.

I think melbourne is a bit more competitive than Perth due to more competition. eg. I rang Mossowood brand supplier and asked them do they sell under other names as well. their answer was that other suppliers do buy their bamboo and then onsell under some other name. A bit of detective work yielded another bamboo brand that is the same as Mossowood brand, but cheaper than buying mossowood brand!!! Go figure.

Regards,
K.
sheznay
Thanks for this guys.

We are still torn between wood and bamboo. I do like the idea of bamboo and more importantly the look... but if I can get traditional wooden floors for $80smt laid then... the wood will win.

Hello sheznay

It will be very hard for you to find solid hardwood for $80m2 fully installed, and in fact bamboo in most cases is still cheaper than solid hardwoods.
I think your budget only goes as far as the laminates.
Bamboo King
sheznay
Thanks for this guys.

Hello sheznay

It will be very hard for you to find solid hardwood for $80m2 fully installed, and in fact bamboo in most cases is still cheaper than solid hardwoods.

Yeah, we're in Perth and the solid hardwoods we looked at were very similar in price to the bamboo we went with.
Japonica26
Bamboo King
sheznay
Thanks for this guys.

Hello sheznay

Yeah, we're in Perth and the solid hardwoods we looked at were very similar in price to the bamboo we went with.

Hello Japonica26

What price did u pay for you bamboo flooring?
Bamboo King
Hello Japonica26

It was the pre-finished from Bamboozle, so I'd have to dig the invoice out. Either way, I'm happy with their install and the finished product, so knowing I could have saved $$ by going somewhere else is kind of a moot point now since that ship has sailed...
I love our floors...it really finishes off the house. Our neighbor has low end laminate and thinks we're extravagant, but then to each their own.
Japonica26
Bamboo King
Hello Japonica26

It was the pre-finished from Bamboozle, so I'd have to dig the invoice out. Either way, I'm happy with their install and the finished product, so knowing I could have saved $$ by going somewhere else is kind of a moot point now since that ship has sailed...
I love our floors...it really finishes off the house. Our neighbor has low end laminate and thinks we're extravagant, but then to each their own.

Your investment in the flooring will out last your neighbors laminate, and does in fact put value on your house, so really you don`t lose any money by putting in a good quality hardwood bamboo floor.
i have polished porcelain in my house....love it and looks awesome...at certain angles it looks like you're walking on mirror.

BUT...it's been a nightmare to keep clean....next time i build it will definately be bamboo flooring.
sheznay
Hi all,

Thanks

Hi Sheznay:

Recently I have the same idea to look for bamboo floor.

This Saturday I went to Osborne park to view four stores for bamboo floor.

The most expensive one is from bamboo**e. Quote for $140 sqm including the floor, delivery and installation. I was asked to put another 10 dollars/sqm to remove the old carpet.

The 2nd expensive is from floor*go. Around $100 sqm fitting/installation/delivery/bamboo floor. Remove the carpet will cost another $15/sqm.

Then I went one Chinese bamboo store. He charged around $80/sqm for doing the same thing. Remove carpet will be charged for $5/sqm. But he stated he only do the job for areas bigger than 30sqm.

The final one I bypassed was called as focus on flo**. They charged me $79-90/sqm for fully installation/bamboo floor. 2 yr installation warranty. 25 yrs floor warranty. They seem very nice and have been worked for the same company for 9 yrs.

Although I have no idea about the bamboo floor, I may go with them to find a quote.
wow! Thanks for all that info.
I might get on my horse to get some quotes too!!
Hey I just want to know how your bamboo flooring has held up over time. I am in the process if trying to decide if am going to use bamboo. I have 2 dogs at about 15kg each. I have looked at some forums but they are all american and very very very bad results. I have since requested that it be taken off our quote but I am not sure i am ready to completely write it iff just yet as its very very attractive looking in the home. i have looked at genisis bamboo flooring and so far it looks great i just dont know anyone who has used it yet.

please help!!!!!
kermut
Hi there,

Regards,
K.

Hi kermut, who did you end up goin with? Can you PM me the price you paid? Thanks.
caseyb
Hey I just want to know how your bamboo flooring has held up over time. I am in the process if trying to decide if am going to use bamboo. I have 2 dogs at about 15kg each. I have looked at some forums but they are all american and very very very bad results. I have since requested that it be taken off our quote but I am not sure i am ready to completely write it iff just yet as its very very attractive looking in the home. i have looked at genisis bamboo flooring and so far it looks great i just dont know anyone who has used it yet.

please help!!!!!

Caseyb, if you are looking for bamboo flooring that will hold up well against your dogs then I suggest compressed bamboo flooring. Very strong, very durable and not easily scratched or dented.
I am not impressed with my Bamboozle Bamwood floor. Looks shocking under downlights with so much debris in the surface after sand and finish.
Related
6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum