Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

timber flooring help

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I've been stalking here a little while and was hoping for some help.

We have brought our 'dream' house and are doing some renovations. We lifted the old carpet and found raw timber floorboards though out the house.

We think we want to put blackbutt over the top. We like the idea of overlay floor boards as the existing floor is very level and we like the idea of being able to just nail it down on top (not too keen on laminate or floating).

We are in Canberra and are not finding the prices very competitive. I found one company in Sydney who can provide prefinished overlay blackbutt (83mm X 10mm) for $57 sqm and $175 to ship to canberra.

I wanted to see if people thought this was reasonable? My partner and father (plumber/builder) will be installing.

I did like wide boards but were advised these couldn't be secret nailed? Anyone know of any other places I could get a quote?

Thanks in advance!
Gidday, Hope I'm not one of those who has provided an expensive quote

Sadly, Canberra is about as expensive as it gets for timber flooring options - both installation and finishing. For people in your boat I tend to suggest the following which can reduce the costs and still deliver a top quality floor.

For a 90 sqm floor say roughly:

a) Buy the packs of timber available from United Auctions in Queanbeyan for about $23 per sqm. These are reject packs from Hurfords, but are in fact good quality timber (probably returned to Hurfords because they are wrong colour, wrong size etc) The packs come in 40 sqm lots more or less. Plus about $150 delivery. Average house - $2000.

b) Install the boards as per timber manuals. Trowel glue, go with existing boards, undercut archs, remove skirts, secret nail etc. I am happy to poke out and give some advice and lend some tools if needed. Installation - $500. Glue/nails etc.

c) Get the floors professionally sanded and finished with a non-yellowing, non-toxic finish like Bona water base or Treatex Hard wax oil - $3500.

Total cost - $6000 for an A-grade floor or about $70 per sqm installed and finished.

Ive just completed a couple of floors in Cooma, where the guys bought the timber from Laws Auctions in Sydney and installed it themselves with the help of a few mates. I dropped down and finished the floors and they look stunning (if I say so myself) Anyway if you've got a snow trip planned I could arrange a visit and I reckon it would give you some food for thought on a possible way to go.

I know a few clients I suggest this method to, get a bit antsy because they are worried about purchasing timber from an auction house, but this stuff comes from Hurfords who about as good as it gets.

Cheers and best of luck

PS regarding the secret nail of wider boards, Boral last year started endorsing a process which involved secret nailing and troweling glue of their wider boards - which does give the process some credibility.
Laws Auctions in Sydney auction Hurford's flooring?? I heard DON'T buy from auctions
... but does this stuff have the packaging clearly saying it's from Hurford's ??
Sorry about the confusion.

United Auctions in Queanbeyan is selling reject packs of Hurfords timber packs.

Two clients from Cooma bought the timber for their floors from Laws Auctions in Sydney and freighted them down to Cooma. They were very happy with the flooring and it looks great - there will be some pics on my website sooner or later. I think one floor was Stringybark and the other was Mixed Hardwood - I think.

The United Auction timber isnt actually sold at auction but at fixed price, Im not sure about the Laws Auctions timber.

Auctions are definitely caveat emptor, however they are also one way to make siginificant savings - particularly for a DYI-er.
Thanks for the helpful reply.

I had been told auctions sold timber with faults. I haven't been to united auction, but might go out this weekend to have a look at what they have - Cheers for the tip.
The packs at auction are normally full of 'shorts' or have machining marks etc.

You can secret-nail wide boards - the suitable products are available in 130x14mm or 180x14mm overlay. They must also be laid on a full-bed adhesive and secret-nailed every 250mm rater than 450mm
Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

6/03/2024
HELP! External Sheathing on a timber frame. Builder unsure?

Building A New House

Thanks Pulse, thats really helpful and very much appreciated. Also thanks for the pointer on sheathing, thats me watching too many american youtube videos!

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum