Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Alpaca Wool Carpet

Page 1 of 1
This product was mentioned to me in passing by a carpet merchant. He said it is stronger than wool. The only website I can find the product looks lovely but they have only been manufacturing for a couple of years.

Has anybody had any experience with this product? Is it any good? What are it's unique properties?

Thanks.
I have never heard of it (are you sure he wasn't having a lend of you?).

If such a thing existed, I would find it hard to see that it could make better carpet than wool does....

When the mainstream carpet mills release it, then I might take it seriously.....

It's gotta be a joke though!!!
Here's the link to the website I found. It does exist!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.spec-net.com.au/links/link368.htm
Warranty is very restricted. Beware.
Alpaca wool carpet does exist, but it is very limited. The wool is softer than your tradtional wool carpet, but more expensive (as you could guess). I don't have a lot of experience in it, but it is an import, very few ranges, and very little choices. More than likely a salesperson trying to make themselves sound smart.
The softer wool is fine for a while, but is not what I would call a 'high' traffic carpet.
A little too ''boutiquey' for my go, personally.

Scott
I've heard of it but haven't come across any. As others have said... a boutique carpet with limited market. Some people will pay big bucks regardless of how something performs just because it seems exotic and special. I'd expect them to be very expensive, and not real great value for money.

Ash.
I have seen it and it's spectacular. Unbelievably soft and i think i'd spend the whole time sitting on the floor! We are actually considering it for a rug. I can tell you it's extremely pricey. Can't remember how much, but I would guess upwards of $600 b/l metre.
I have just found this subject of alpaca carpet. I have heard of an alpaca shop which has been using alpaca carpet on their floors for many years, it being hard wearing, and keeping the alpaca fibre attributes. As an alpaca breeder this is another avenue that can be achieved by using alpaca fibre. As anything made with alpaca has been put in the high price area, in the short term it will be dearer than wool, but in time will come down in price.

Alan
I see Alpaca wool as having a limited market in floorcoverings. It is well recognised that THICKER wool fibres are suitable for carpets. New Zealand and Scotland supply most wool for carpets as they have the required thickness and other characteristics that make it suitable. Australia grows a lot of wool, but it is generally considered too fine for carpets, and so is mostly used for clothing.

Ash.
I know this thread is a bit old now, but saw this product advertised in a home mag while waiting at the physio today. *drool* LOL. alpaca on the floor sounds dreamy but $$$. If my DH sees it, that's it we'll have to get it!! I think for a small area not used by children (def not my children!) would be good. Will chase it down and have a bit of a feel I think. I am interested in low toxicity flooring and carpet can be a bit tricky in this regard.
http://www.onlinecarpet.com.au/search-o ... !&fibreIds[]=&styleIds[]=&useItemId=&priceRangeId=&patternTypeIds[]=&colourIds[]=&purchaserTypeId=&searchFormSubmitted=true#searchResultsAnch

This link lists some of Alpaca carpet prices, click view details and get quote for more info and color range.
Related
17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

2/08/2023
Ramping Carpet Up To Bathroom Level

General Discussion

they can, it's a fairly standard solution when the slab isn't recessed. the falls need to be in the main floor, if it hasn't been done then you need to ask them to redo…

29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum