Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Sooooooo confused about flooring!!! HELP!

Page 1 of 1
I have chosen Amtico Vinyl Panks in Rustic Smoked Wood but something is holding me back from "locking it in" I am worried about it dating or putting people off buying if we need to sell in a few years time (no plans but you never know)
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/shellb78/IMGP3393.jpg

I have been reading this forum all weekend reading everything I can, for a minute there after reading about Quickstep I considered this an option but is it any better than vinyl??

Maybe I should go for tiles (but then I have to clean grout)

Or maybe real timber is the go (if I can get it at a good price) but I do have a budget to stick to and don't want to spend much over what our laminate is costing (I think it's $70m2 laid)

We do have 3 young kids and I want it to be liveable and to not get wrecked to easy (hence why I was considering vinyl)- we don't wear shoes in the house but I don't want to be yelling at my kids all day "careful of the floors!" and I also don't want to look at footprints on my floors everyday and feel like I HAVE to mop them.

Can someone please explain the pro's and cons of each type of flooring?

Is vinyl and laminate really as cheap looking as everyone says. I don't want it to look cheap but I also don't care if people aren't "oooohing and ahhing" over my floors. I just want them to cover the damn floors and blend in as well as looking nice- not make a huge statement. Am I making any sense????

Aaaaargh! I am drving myself insane!!

Please help me!

Michelle
I love the look of real timber but I wouldn't have it in a house with pets, kids and visitors - too much worry and maintenance! I would prefer vinyl, tiles or laminate for a busy household. If you spend money on a quality product, laid professionally, they will all look and perform well. We went with Quickstep for its durability, good looks, and good reputation.

Personally, the dark grey floors aren't doing it for me- I couldn't tell you how they'd date but I certainly prefer 'safer' timber colours
Thanks Vundaful, have been around to the flooring shops this morning and have been told by all of them that vinyl is the pick over laminate but I am still unsure of colour. Like you suggested, maybe I should look at a "safer colour" beacause this is my biggest concern that it's just not safe enough.

When do your floors go down? Can't wait to see them!
I'm waiting to hear it meself
the shipment didn't arrive last week but my installer said he'd give us a tinkle today to let us know what the go is.
I just laid vinyl planks in my hallway in my unit and I am absolutely chuffed with the result. I think they are awesome, warm under foot and I have 2 dogs which have been running up and down on them.
I too am not sure about the gary colour but it's your floor, your choice.
Putting in cool colours, is all the rage nowdays. Fastest growing colour in carpet is dark charcoal

Deep chocolate browns and egg plant purples are all selling.

When it comes to hardfloors, there had also been a slow move into more stylish deliberate flooring selection.

For example I am doing my own floors next year and will have to buy a reject grade timber (with lots of cracks and knots ) abd then dent it and mark it heaps, then stain it dark charcoal !!!

If you like the floor go for it. Greys big. Charcoal is big. Rustic is featured floorig is also big.

I think orginality is great and reckon you've made a cool choice
Michelle,

Lock in the vinyl planks. DO IT!

There, doesn't that feel better?

Ash.
I know its just a personal opinion but I don't like the colour you posted, and many future buyers may not either. Unless you love it and intend to live there for a long time, I would get something more normal...
This is so funny!!!!!

Today I have ercieved so many comments to this thread and another one in a different forum about my floors.

I actually had another colour appointment 2 weeks ago and completely changed all our colours INCLUDING the floors!!!
We now have tiles!! And I am sooooo much happier!

Thanks for everyone who has posted a response!

Cheers
Michelle
My partner and I were confused between real timber and timber laminate and now we changed our mind completely after spending so much time shopping and researching and decided to go with Tiles, and yes we are much happier…
I'm in the same boat, what to do, real timber, bamboo, laminate, tiles, it's sooo confusing, I initially started out with Tiles then changed my mind to bamboo, now after doing all the running around for months checking timber flooring out I think I also might go back to tiles (I wish they werent so cold and could afford underfloor heating) but still have months to go, so goodness knows what I might end up with.
Your not alone it is so confusing but I guess in the end you just know in your gut what to get when you see it - dont second guess if your happy with the vinyl - go for it
We pull up (jack hammer) a couple of houses a week (just my one shop), and replace them with timber or laminate or vinyl.

I am not in the tile indutrsy, so I can't tell you if the same happens in reverse, but my guess is it doesn't.

Tiles are cold, they chip, they crack, they can be slippery......

IF you insist on it, PLEASE make sure you buy several M2 more than you need and stash them in your garage for when the inevitable occurs
I do agree with you but it is the same with real timber or laminate, I guess you will never win and it all falls to personal preference.

Me personally I like timber, but real timber dents and scratches easily and expensive too, whereas laminate timber may be more resistant to dents and scratches yet, I don’t think it is strong enough and in wet areas such as kitchen I’m not sure for how long it can hold and ofcourse I can’t risk a laundry flood!!
Tiles is not our preferred preference but it is the safest option until we find a better alternative =)
Here's a probably stupid question, but with laminate flooring can anyone recommend a good laminate company we could start looking at e.g. brand, I do like how you can be not sooo fussy with laminate floors, as I know with bamboo or timber after a few years we will get slack and wear heels etc. the only thing that turned me off laminate was the sound when people walk on them with shoes, it sounds hollow/fake and the laminate I have seen at a few places did not seem to have very nice patterns/colours, they looked too fake, mind you only been to Bunnings and Carpet Call - they had the Parador brand which I thought was a good brand but their colours/patterns were not nice at all.

Can you recommend somewhere in Melb where you can see a few different brands on show?

Many thanks
If you want something that is hard wearing (30 yr warranty) and looks flash, like this:

then give me a call. 2.26mtr long boards, so they look like long timber planks.
Related
19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum