Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Wood-look Lino - anyone used & pics please

Page 1 of 1
We are building a holiday house near the coast.

Thinking of putting wood-look lino in open plan living area, kitchen etc as real wood floors would scratch from sand and tiles - well I have them now and don't like cleaning grout! Other friends/family will be using the house too.

Has anyone used the lino that looks like wood flooring? How did it come up? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Sharon,

A tip from me. I would be very careful about using a PVC floor in a non-perm dwelling.

The danger is that the heat that may build up there, if you are not living there, may wreck the floor. PVC is plastic, and plastic expands when heated.

So if you do want to use it, make sure you have adequate ventilation or insulation, use blinds and so forth when not there - or you may find it has buckled and warped after a 43 degree week in Summer.

A low gloss, highly textured laminate floor would be my reccomendation - to stand up to punishment from vistors and sand from the beach etc. Juts be mindful of not wetting it too much. It won't freak out due to heat, but will fade, just like everything (except timber) tends to when exposed to large amounts of sun.
Thanks Anthony for your advice.

Can you put laminate flooring in the kitchen? Or not, due to risk of liquid spills etc? I presume you mean laminate planks or tiles?
Just wanted to point out that lino (linoleum) and vinyl flooring are actually different things, although I guess people still use the term lino the way my mum talks about doing the hoovering even though she hasn't had a Hoover for decades.
Yes you can put it there. Only areas that are usually no good are bathrooms and laundries. A decent quality laminate will give you a good solution. Topical moisture, if left unattended will get soaked up by the coreboard and it will peek. That doesn't mean you have to have a heart attack if water gets spilt, you could finish doing dishes for example and clean it up at the end. No steam mops ever though ! Also, buy a clic system and buy a couple spare packs for the garage. If you do have a disaster, you can take the beading off, un-click your floor and replace the board(s). Time consuming, but easy enough.
Related
19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

7/06/2023
Radiant or Convection Wood Fire

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

We are tossing up between a Jarrahdale radiant wood fire (the Pioneer) and a convection wood fire (Innovator or Countryman) but cannot decide on which type of wood fire is…

16/11/2023
Plaster meets wood - how to fill

Building A New House

yeah i couldnt picture it issue either, but i could clearly picture what they were doing wrong haha

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum