Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Which carpet to lay in house we're selling: nylon or poly?

Page 1 of 1
Went to Bunnings and got a relatively cheap quote for a nylon carpet to be laid in all 3 bedrooms plus hallway. I could knock an extra $300-400 off the price if we went down to the cheaper polypropelene carpet though...

We're recarpeting once we move out next week to sell the place, its a very small house and would either be bought as a first home or rental property. We want it done as soon as possible so dont want to much around with floorboards or anything.

Which do you reckon? Cheapest way possible or $400 for slightly nicer looking/feeling?

Cheers
Caz
anyone else? want to decide on a quote by tomorrow so i can get the ball rolling. moving in 12 days!!
Hi Caz,

I think it comes down to the overall standard of presentation you want the property to have. Put yourself in the shoes of potential buyers. Imagine entering the place and think of the overall 'feel' that you'd like the place to have.

Polyprops are usually quite stiff and wirey in texture. Nylons tend to have a warmer, more inviting and attractive appearance (and feel). Which do you think fits in with the finish of the property generally?

I'd think that potential buyers who want to let it out won't give a toss either way. But the buyer who wants to live there may find a nice new nylon carpet something that helps them to want to buy.

Hope it goes well for you!

Ash.
So the "better" carpet will cost $400.00 more.

My guess is that it will help you get much more than a $400.00 increase in resale value....and that's what you're after. IMHO it really is a "no-brainer". You are talking about the end of the market where small improvements have a big impact. This is easy and it's cheap. No problem with diminishing returns.

But it's still important to get it right. I suggest having a look at local display homes to see what colour and style look best in similar spaces and choose accordingly.

Also, if prospective buyers see a carpet that screams "CHEAP", they'll judge the rest of the house accordingly. The few extra dollars you spend on the carpet will be very obvious if you choose well and will sway the buyers impressions and feelings towards the house more than the same amount spent on most other areas.

Cheers
zeke
Zeke... right on!

Ash.
Good points Ash and Zeke - I am being a tightass I know! Trying to balance gaining an extra property (as of today!) and starting to pay rent too as of next week while trying to sell this

Booking the nicer carpet now! Thanks
Don't forget to put up photos of new carpet!
Related
29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

2/08/2023
Ramping Carpet Up To Bathroom Level

General Discussion

they can, it's a fairly standard solution when the slab isn't recessed. the falls need to be in the main floor, if it hasn't been done then you need to ask them to redo…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum