Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Options for laying wood floors over existing tiles

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I'm new here and have had a good search and read of relevant threads. We have bought a place and are wanting to lay wooden floors in all the living areas that are currently tiled (excluding bathrooms) - looking at about probably about 100 square m in total if we do the bedrooms (currently carpeted) as well.

From what I've read so far, it sounds like people have had mixed results with the Boral Silkwood product, but Readyflor and Big River Timbers seem to garner good reviews.

I'm very interested to hear other people's thoughts, recommendations or experience with laying wooden floors over tiles?

For people who've done it, what option did you opt for (solid timber vs floating pre-finished etc) and were you happy with the final result? Can you give an approximation of what it cost? What advice would you give someone about to do the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any comments!
You couldn't really lay solid floors over the tiles as you would have nothing to nail into for fixing. I would be inclined to rip the tiles up, if nothing else you floors will end up quite high.
Dukekamaya
You couldn't really lay solid floors over the tiles as you would have nothing to nail into for fixing. I would be inclined to rip the tiles up, if nothing else you floors will end up quite high.

I'll second that. Bad idea!

Definitely solid timber flooring in preference to floating floors.

And think carefully before going ALL hard floors.
A mix of timber and nice quality carpeting is a 'home'!

Ash.
Thanks for your replies!

Good points you make about the tiles. I imagine ripping those up will be a total nightmare?!

Still leaning towards doing bedroom floors in wood (although this will mean postponing the job for a bit to save a bit more), for the purposes of allergy reduction, but have certainly taken your comments into consideration.
Leaf,

Suggest you get contractors to rip up the tiles. Not an easy job! DIY and by the time its done, you'll kick yourself!

FACT: Not having carpets has been scientifically and conclusively proven to have no benefits in terms of allergen control. In many cases, the opposite is true!

Ash.
Thanks for that feedback, Ash. We've shelved reflooring plans for the time being. Agree with you re ripping up the tiles, and the whole thing was getting bigger than Ben Hur. Just doing a bit of painting instead for now.
Related
24/10/2023
Need advice - vinyl over kitchen tiles

General Discussion

Levelling compound Ardit is the best but buy a bag of sand and make sand dam to protect your wood floor

22/04/2024
Floating floor boards over slate tiles

General Discussion

To put anything over slate you will need to put self level compound over the entire area as slate various in thickness and is very un even. To install most types of…

21/02/2024
Oil under boards before laying

General Discussion

I'm about to put down some Merbau. Is it necessary to oil underneath the boards before laying?

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum