Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Bamboo/Timber Flooring and Dogs

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

Has anyone here had any experience with bamboo/timber flooring and dogs. Im planning on buying a dog when I eventually move into my next house. Was worried a dog might scratch up wood flooring. Is this the case or not?

Thanks for any replies.
I love timber flooring, but we have 3 indoor dogs so had to go with tiles with our build. I have timber in this rental, it was stuffed already, but the dogs definitely scratch it. We do keep their claws under control, but it makes no difference.
In our current home we have cypress pine, a very soft flooring, & with 16 paws running over it, it is very scratched.

In our new home we are having timber, undecided as to which one, but will be going with one of the harder timbers to reduce impact of scratching.

Obviously the heavier the breed of dog, the greater the likely hood of scratching. Go for a smaller breed to reduce this.
We have 2 dogs and we decided to install Vinyl Planks in our new house, the main reason is water resistant (dog pee), and it still makes the house looks good. It looks more like laminate flooring, but it's not.

Originally we looked at timber, bamboo, and laminates. But if water gets into it, they are stuffed!
We have Bamboo flooring in our townhouse which we lived in for two years with our two dogs Hannah and Max. The floor is extremely hard and the dogs never made a mark on it even though they are quite active. The only time I marked it was when thoughtlessly moving heavy furniture and even that was just a very fine surface scratch.

JohnnyD
We have Bamboo flooring in our townhouse which we lived in for two years with our two dogs Hannah and Max. The floor is extremely hard and the dogs never made a mark on it even though they are quite active. The only time I marked it was when thoughtlessly moving heavy furniture and even that was just a very fine surface scratch.

Max is the tan coloured dog? Looks like one of my dog called Diffy, he is a cross Zhit Zhu x Australian Terrier.
Quote:
Max is the tan coloured dog?

No Max is the Grey and white. Hannah is the tan one.
We have 3 dogs and have had wood floor boards, carpet, laminate floor boards, tiles and vinyl

Everything except tiles and vinyl have been a problem for us. Claws and doggy accidents dont fare well with the rest!

We will be having good quality vinyl floors in our new house. Tiles are a bit too expensive (well, for the nice ones I would want anyway
) and I found the grout was a bit of a pain (getting dirty) when we had nice large light coloured tiles before.

My Dad works at a flooring place and he's forever trying to warn people about dog claws and bamboo flooring
What about the parador branded laminate? I've been trying to choose on a floor and this seems ok to me . . .
It was such a pain to be looking from one shop to the other, especially with some of them being far away from each other. None of them had the wide range of options I was looking for. Some had quality but no sophistication while some just lacked different shades I wanted. Finally, I came across MAFI, who were able to provide me with all that I needed. Not only were they high on quality and sophistication, they also had different shades of timber like dark, medium and light along with textured surface timbers. A highly satisfying experience for someone who looks for a lot of variety, after all, you don’t renovate your house everyday.
Mark do you work for Mafi?
My only suggestion if you are opting for bamboo flooring and if you are having dogs is to go for strand woven bamboo flooring as opposed to carbonized bamboo flooring.

Strand woven bamboo will never guarantee a 100% scratch free floor but the dents can very well be tackled as this type of bamboo is extremely durable. However do not ever opt for carbonized bamboo flooring.
Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

24/09/2023
Flooring option for bedroom and passage

Flooring & Floor Covering

Newbie question for flooring options. We are thinking of changing the flooring for bedrooms and passage area. Last time we looked at flooring options was almost 8years…

25/11/2023
Laminate flooring and curved brick hearth

Flooring & Floor Covering

Just about completed a renovation project and hit a small issue that we didn’t see We have laminate floors now where we had tiles before (turned out it was actually 2…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum