Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Foam underlay vs. rubber [Dunlop vsBridgestone ]

Page 1 of 1
Time to put this question to bed.I like Bridgestone more than Dunlop.Why:Bridgestone have bought me dinner twice as many times as Dunlop,Bridgestone have given me tickets to far more events than Dunlop,and more sporting goods and merchandising than Dunlop.
Hell,bridgestone is much easier to lay than Dunlop,and I use a third the blades on a whole house job with Bridgestone rubber.

But,the carpet at my house,my mum's house and my sister's house,is all laid on Dunlop Ultimate at my recommendation.It's really a no brainer.Foam retains it's "springy" qualities DRAMATICALLY better over time.I.e. most pull-ups I have done [90%] with rubber have the underlay melted literally to the sub-floor.It usually needs a complete scraping and sweep,then a vacuum before a [concientious] layer will begin work.

What's really surprising is that even the middle of the road Dunlop products out-perform the top line Bridgestone product [blue as far as I know] once the carpet has been down in excess of 5 years.

If you do the "walk on test" comparison at a retailer and choose a carpet,place it on top of both Dunlop Ultimate and Bridgestone Blue,and you will almost certainly agree that the rubber feels softer/better.
You bet it does,cause it IS softer and will break down sooner.

So if I was laying carpet at Joe blogs house for a laying service,I wanna be using Bridgestone,If it is a private job and the installation comes back to me,I'm only recommending Dunlop.

This is not conjecture,it is fact and every carpet layer knows it.The only reason to choose rubber is it might be $1 cheaper and oh yeah,rubber is a sustainable natural resource...........
Thanks for your honest post Rastus.

We have chosen our carpet (to go in 4 med- large bedrooms and large formal lounge) It is a Tuftmaster Solution Dyed Nylon sculptured loop, in Spring Ridge http://www.tuftmastercarpets.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_new&product_id=88&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

To supply & lay we have been quoted $3700 which may or may not be a bargain price??!!!

With this we are getting Dunlop Court-o-Pedic foam underlay and I have no idea as to whether it is any good - the technical specs are:

Density - 95kg/m3 normal

Thickness - 10.0mm + 0.3

Roll length - 10m Roll width - 1800mm + 5

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ruth
Judging by the court in the name you have bought from Carpet Court.Each retailer may have the same underlay,though different badging.As long as it is foam in your home it will last longer.Always worth getting the best you can afford,u'lay shouldn't cost too much to get a top upgrade.
Yay, very happy to hear that - that's what my (Cav Brem) carpet is laid on - the Ultimate. It feels divine, too - and lots of people have ccommented on that!
Thanks Rastus, appreciate your input and advice on the forum thus far!

Cheers
Cavalier Bremworth is almost definitely the pinnacle of tufted carpet.Nice to lay,looks great and goes on,and on,and on,...
I really wish I'd read this 8yrs ago! Our carpet throughout the whole house has been laid on Bridgestone Gold rubber underlay and is now disintegrating! The whole lot will need to be taken up and re-laid on foam underlay.
What are my chances of having some recourse with manufacturer or Carpet Court that sold it to me?
Related
24/04/2024
Ensure rubber gym floor is flush to floorboards in hallway?

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, looking to have a gym in a new build. Planning to install some sort of rubber mat flooring (on concrete) i.e. Asking the builder to not do floorboards in the gym…

2/02/2024
Patching Holes in EPS foam walls

Renovation + Home Improvement

Oh no! I would use a can of expandable foam ( there are some that will take render) then cut it back and render over the top

18/04/2024
Does concrete foam filler need to be sealed?

Building A New House

There is nothing in the various codes and standards that puts this requirement on the builder to do. I think that is what you are asking. Don't waste time trying to get…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum