Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Hardwood flooring engineered vs solid timber

Page 1 of 1
Hello

I went around to a number of flooring places today and all seem to have differing or biased opinions. I’m building a fairly big home and interested to hear peoples thoughts on the difference between solid timber and engineered timber floors.

I know about the thickness and lack of ability to sand it back if it’s damaged.

But the way I see it, if I install engineered as a floating system on my slab, I can just pull the plank out and change it if it’s damaged. We would be pretty careful with the floor so I envisage isolated incidents would result in a mark or scratch.

I like the wider planks in the engineered flooring which is unavailable in the solid tkmber. To be honest I saw them all side by side and couldn’t tell the difference.

Am I missing anything else?

Also with engineered, some people are saying glue onto ply others are saying don’t worry about glue and click it into place on a waterproof underlay (when laid on concrete).

Any opinions on which way to go?
afpo23
Am I missing anything else?

One is real the other is not.
You can sand engineered floor just as much as solid floor.
The engineered floors typically have solid timber down to the tongue which is the limit of sanding anyway.
I've had both floors. We currently have engineered oak. I prefer the matte look that's available with engineered flooring, you just don't get the same look with solid timber.
The stability and width of engineered floors are also a positive.
I like both and have installed both on many occasions for work.
I would always glue the floor. As soon as you float an engineered floor they feel cheap.
In WA we don't bother with the ply first. As long as the concrete is fairly good we us Sika MB as a moisture barrier then direct stick the floor to the slab. As long as the layer is good and trowels the glue at a good thickness you won't have hollows and the floor feels solid under foot.
chippy
You can sand engineered floor just as much as solid floor.
The engineered floors typically have solid timber down to the tongue which is the limit of sanding anyway.
I've had both floors. We currently have engineered oak. I prefer the matte look that's available with engineered flooring, you just don't get the same look with solid timber.
The stability and width of engineered floors are also a positive.
I like both and have installed both on many occasions for work.
I would always glue the floor. As soon as you float an engineered floor they feel cheap.
In WA we don't bother with the ply first. As long as the concrete is fairly good we us Sika MB as a moisture barrier then direct stick the floor to the slab. As long as the layer is good and trowels the glue at a good thickness you won't have hollows and the floor feels solid under foot.

Thanks for the reply. Not to sure about gluing straight to slab, if I ever wanted to replace the floor this would be a nightmare? Wouldn't gluing onto ply with the ply screwed into the slab offer more flexibility?
Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

18/08/2023
Engineered Timber Installation - Floating vs Direct stick

General Discussion

Thanks Simon, I guess I'm no concerned with the volume of the noise rather that dead and hollow sound and feel that is associated with floating floors. But I'm not sure…

20/03/2024
Dark line marking in hardwood floor

General Discussion

Hi All. I'm currently resurfacing the hardwood floors and when removing the old layers that there's a long dark line running across the boards. Does anyone know what or…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum