Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

I work in flooring - do you have a flooring question?

Page 36 of 50
Opinion on vinyl planks?

Michelle
Leksie5000 and wes2k.....are you both still good to go?
I don't want to reply to questions if you have moved on....

Thanks
Hi Michelle,

Yes if you have some thoughts on it, let me know.

Thanks!

melobious
Opinion on vinyl planks?

Vinyl planks are great, make sure sure you look at good quality though.
Leksie5000
Hi Michelle

Comments below.

I am seeking ideas to improve flooring in this apartment to make it suitable and comfortable for young children and also bring it up to date.

1. I used SmartStrand with deluxe underlay in my house build and will definitely go for that with carpet if I have carpet. It was worth every cent and stain resistant.

2. Kitchen area as marked on plan along with bathrooms have quite a plain 400 brown ceramic tile which I don’t really like.

3. Carpet needs replacing throughout. The open area and bedrooms are carpet.

4. Wondering if there is any suitable option to go over the tiles in the kitchen or I need to start again? Considering if to re carpet the kitchen dining or do the whole open area and kitchen in another floating option? If that’s an option? Or I could do something in the kitchen that will suit bathrooms but I’m not doing bathrooms for now.

You can go over existing tiles with Karrndean looslay or Karndean Corlok then take it through to the other areas. You will however have a bit of a step. If your only doing the kitchen either of those floorings will do. If your doing all of the areas I would recommend taking up the tiles to get the floor surface the same height.

5. I am concerned if I don’t carpet the main area it won’t look as nice with floor transitions in such a small space. Any ideas? The house build was a hardwood floor and I know little about other options.

Have I missed anyone??

Michelle
melobious
Opinion on vinyl planks?

Vinyl planks are great, make sure sure you look at good quality though.

Thanks Michelle,

Which brands do you suggest?
On a new build do they go straight into the slab?

Look for Karndean, yes they go directly onto a slab.

http://www.karndean.com/en-a

u/floors/easy-fit-ranges/karndean-looselay-longboard

Sadly I've been advised I need to go to the body corporate for vinyl planks as its considered a hard floor, and the next meeting is not until April 2019. For that reason I will need to replace carpet with carpet.
Does anyone getting really wild pricing differences when getting quotes? I got 3 quotes, one for $19k, $22k, and $27k for the same house.
Leksie5000
Sadly I've been advised I need to go to the body corporate for vinyl planks as its considered a hard floor, and the next meeting is not until April 2019. For that reason I will need to replace carpet with carpet.

Body corporate... hmm.

Make sure you get a good quality carpet, then you'll be happy.
All will be good.

AndyGee
Does anyone getting really wild pricing differences when getting quotes? I got 3 quotes, one for $19k, $22k, and $27k for the same house.

But are you getting quotes on the same products?
If not, yes your quotes will be way out.

Michelle
AndyGee

Yes, it is a quote on a specific Karndean product with the same floor plan given to 3 different shops.
AndyGee
Michelle
AndyGee

Yes, it is a quote on a specific Karndean product with the same floor plan given to 3 different shops.

So now you need to ask them all....what are they quoting for prep.
Michelle
So now you need to ask them all....what are they quoting for prep.

Sure, will ask them to clarify. Thank you.
I’m getting conflicting advice from different suppliers in regards to the Karndean Looselay planks.
We are researching flooring for a new house build which has concrete slab on the lower floor, and chip board on the upper floor.
One supplier has said we just need to ensure the chip board has been sanded and the Karndean Looselay will go straight down on top.
Another supplier will only quote with the inclusion of Masonite going down first.... which of course adds to the cost.
I had thought that one of the reasons for Karndean’s higher cost is because they don’t require as much floor prep as the cheaper brands?
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
My Karndean Mountain Spotted Gum

gcnicho
I’m getting conflicting advice from different suppliers in regards to the Karndean Looselay planks.
We are researching flooring for a new house build which has concrete slab on the lower floor, and chip board on the upper floor.
One supplier has said we just need to ensure the chip board has been sanded and the Karndean Looselay will go straight down on top.
Another supplier will only quote with the inclusion of Masonite going down first.... which of course adds to the cost.
I had thought that one of the reasons for Karndean’s higher cost is because they don’t require as much floor prep as the cheaper brands?
Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Hi gcnicho....they are both wrong, or supplier no/1 is not using the right glue. Karndean looselay are designed to be laid over all timber surfaces if they are fairly level and in good nick. They must be glued in with pressure sensitive glue. Some choose to hard set, but its not necessary.
You do NOT need to sand the surface first, the backing on this system is by far more advanced than all the other's and yes, that's why they are more expensive.

In the link below it tells you that hard board is necessary in some cases, that would be on a VERY un-level surface.
I meant to email home my specs I got directly from Karndean.... I'll try and get that over the weekend for you.
The problem here is since the looselay's came out installation has changed a few times which has left a few people confused. If you have any doubts at all give Karndean a call, they will help you.
I hope this has helped

http://www.karndean.com/en-au/commercia ... reparation
IamSAM
My Karndean Mountain Spotted Gum

Very nice, I bet your pleased with it!!
And for all interested, I'll be using the Karndean tiles in all my wet areas of my reno
Looselay Colorado. A concrete look vinyl tile.

Hi Michelle

Any idea about coretec proplus tacked (clip system) could not find too much reviews about them . I have check kardean but quite negative reviews .
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

12/11/2023
Beginner advice - how can we make this house work for us???

Renovation + Home Improvement

I posted the floorplan on Houzz.com forum and got some really good ideas and advice from people there. Then we reached out to a couple of renovation companies and one…

25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum