Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

I work in flooring - do you have a flooring question?

Page 31 of 50
This is what I am referring too

http://www.zealseaflooring.com/products/super-tough-european-oak

Super Tough European Oak Engineered Timber Flooring

"Super tough timber veneer compressed from 6mm to 2mm, absolutely new innovative product."
We don't sell it.... but it still comes back to the thickness being the toughness
How tough is Engineered Timber Oak from getting scratches/dents etc?
What is a better choice a ceramic 450*450 tile or Oak leaf 12mm thick laminate?
nemisis
How tough is Engineered Timber Oak from getting scratches/dents etc?

It can scratch if you drag sharp objects over it, if you have stones in your joggers.
Its timber, they react the same as timber. Oak not being super hard.
Treat your floor well and you will have it for a long time.
I love the oaks.
Kvav27

That s a personal choice.
Not everyone has the same thoughts on this.
I personally am not a fan of either.

If you are having a laminate the best one is a 12mm for sure.
Michelle
Kvav27

Thanks a ton for your input. My full question is on below link, Please advise :https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=1773366#p1773366
nemisis

"Super tough timber veneer compressed from 6mm to 2mm, absolutely new innovative product."

I'm very sceptical they can compress oak to 1/3 of the original size.

Say oak is 700kg per m3, compressing it to 1/3rd would make it 2,000kg or double spotted gum.

Why not just make it a 6mm layer and save the cost to compress it?

Kvav27
Michelle
Kvav27

Thanks a ton for your input. My full question is on below link, Please advise :https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=1773366#p1773366

Re try that link.....
brokenstick
Hi, I haven't read the whole thread so you may have answered this already....
We are building a double story house and planning to do floating floors upstairs as well (ie no carpet), but concerned about noise. We are already putting in soundscreen insulation between the floors, but wondering what underlay you would recommend, and whether upgrading it would make a big difference?? For some strange reason the builder is not keen on upgrading it.
Thanks

Hi Michelle
Not sure if you saw my question, but would love to get your opinion on underlays for noise reduction
Thanks
JB1
nemisis

I'm very sceptical they can compress oak to 1/3 of the original size.

Say oak is 700kg per m3, compressing it to 1/3rd would make it 2,000kg or double spotted gum.

Why not just make it a 6mm layer and save the cost to compress it?

I agree with you. There isn't much information on this new "innovative product" as well. I think I'll stick with Engineered Timber Oak (4mm veneer).
brokenstick
brokenstick
We are building a double story house and planning to do floating floors upstairs as well (ie no carpet), but concerned about noise. We are already putting in soundscreen insulation between the floors, but wondering what underlay you would recommend, and whether upgrading it would make a big difference?? For some strange reason the builder is not keen on upgrading it.
Thanks

Hi Michelle
Not sure if you saw my question, but would love to get your opinion on underlays for noise reduction
Thanks

No sorry, I missed that! My internet is dropping in and out tonight. Will try and get in when its sorted. Too much water I think.
Hi Michelle,

What is the difference between Signature Carpet Cashmere Touch Nysoft and Solution Dyed Nylon?

We are a couple, no kids, no pets, no shoes inside and intend to stay that way

Is Signature Carpet Cashmere Touch suitable?

Thanks!
Hi, I have removed the carpet from existing subfloor. Can I directly sand and polish it instead of putting another carpet or vinyl flooring??? And also what is the best way to stop squeaky sound from floor?

Thanks
Pramod
ebarpra
Hi, I have removed the carpet from existing subfloor. Can I directly sand and polish it instead of putting another carpet or vinyl flooring??? And also what is the best way to stop squeaky sound from floor?

Thanks
Pramod

Hi Pramos, yes you can sand and polish those boards. To get rid of squeaky boards means to screw down the offenders. Make sure all the nails are well into the floor before sanding, you will rip the sanding pad otherwise.
Vascariz
Hi Michelle,

What is the difference between Signature Carpet Cashmere Touch Nysoft and Solution Dyed Nylon?

We are a couple, no kids, no pets, no shoes inside and intend to stay that way

Is Signature Carpet Cashmere Touch suitable?

Thanks!

Hmmm, don't know that one. Sounds soft....they mean more vacing to keep the pile up. ! Look for a short pile twist nice and tight, they last longer.
Michelle
brokenstick
brokenstick
Thanks

Hi Michelle
Thanks

No sorry, I missed that! My internet is dropping in and out tonight. Will try and get in when its sorted. Too much water I think.

I'm so sorry.... are you still needing my hep??
Found this on Choices Floorings website, so a copy and past it is!!
All about underlay.... some people need to know and its way to much time for me to write.
Written by -
Kelly McDonough and she says it all!

That new floor smell. That new floor look. That new floor FEEL. That new underlay effect…. Wait, what? Who dreams of the right carpet underlay?
Unless you’re a seasoned flooring professional, carpet underlay is probably the furthest thing from your mind as you stare dreamily off into space, imagining your new floor. However boring it sounds, the right underlay can make all the difference to how your floor performs.
What does underlay actually do?
It helps to reduce wear on the carpet and absorbs shock with its cushioning, making your carpet look and feel more comfortable. It also provides insulation, absorbs sounds and covers small bumps in surfaces.
It’s kind of like the secret superhero of flooring. While it might be tempting to choose sight unseen, or foot unfelt as the case may be, your underlay might end up changing the flooring you choose. Crazy, right? I’ll explain.

You can choose the most beautiful, soft and plush carpet in the world, but if you pair it with an underlay that’s not fit for the purpose of the room, you’re going to notice a difference down the track. So, while you’re carefully planning out colour and style of your new carpet, it’s definitely important to plan what kind of underlay you’ll be needing to do all the hard work underneath your beautiful new floors.
These days there are a stack of choices when it comes to carpet underlay. Thickness, density, sound acoustics, price – they’re all big factors to consider. You’ll hear the words felt, foam and rubber and wonder what all the fuss is about. Well, when it comes to underlay, it’s definitely not one size fits all. High traffic areas will require an underlay that is dense and more durable, whereas bedrooms or lounge rooms may have you opting for something with a lot more cushioning to maximise comfort.
How do you choose the right underlay for you?
You put your foot down. Literally. Chat with your friendly Choices Flooring team about what you need from your floor. They’ll be happy to pop a piece of underlay underneath your sample of flooring so you can actually FEEL what it’s like when you walk on it.

Take your time in trialling different types of underlay with different types of flooring. You’ll be surprised at the difference it makes. And because price is always a factor, the Choices Flooring team will provide you with all the options and information you need to make sure your underlay puts the right spring in your step for years to come.
Michelle
ebarpra

Thanks
Pramod

Hi Pramos, yes you can sand and polish those boards. To get rid of squeaky boards means to screw down the offenders. Make sure all the nails are well into the floor before sanding, you will rip the sanding pad otherwise.

Thanks Michelle
Hi Michelle,

How will tassie oak floor boards come up after having tiles and a plaster sheet laid over the top in the kitchen. The house is from 1981. I am concerned that there will be a lot of nail holes and look bad.

The alternative is to use a laminate in the living areas, kitchen and hall. This would be a shame to waste the oak floors and will cost more.

What do you think?

Here is a pic of the board, sheet and tile.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy301/AlisonWinnall/IMG_4923_zpsgkaxvjq2.jpg
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

12/11/2023
Beginner advice - how can we make this house work for us???

Renovation + Home Improvement

I posted the floorplan on Houzz.com forum and got some really good ideas and advice from people there. Then we reached out to a couple of renovation companies and one…

25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum