Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

All opinions welcome...photos of wood floors.

Page 3 of 3
Mrs B, found a pic of the wide plank for you.

I must say the Ironbark looks like red not grey - Grey Ironbark is much more brown than that.
Timber suppliers have been known to give someone one species whilst saying its something else
Dukekamaya
I must say the Ironbark looks like red not grey - Grey Ironbark is much more brown than that.
Timber suppliers have been known to give someone one species whilst saying its something else

I agree luke, but Phoenix hasnt been on line yet to confirm the exact colour. She did say grey but it looks so red to me
You said that you had a house with blackbutt flooring (I think) do you still like the floor?

Beautiful wide planks Paula...sigh, it isnt going to happen in this house as we are having floorboards up and down stairs so it would cost us a small fortune. I love the floors so much that Phoenix had in her old house and if had a smaller area I definately would use them as a feature...for the whole house, do you think it would just dominate too much? I use to love spotted gum until I moved into a place with these floorboards...too busy ,although I like it in other peoples houses.

Mrs B
Hi Mrs. B, you know my taste is a bit left of the centre, but I would never put the first two floors into a house with your exterior - to me it's a completely different thing. I would consider the floor from the picture that Paula posted.

I reckon the ideal floor for your house would be polished concrete, but it's probably far too cold looking for most people.

Sorry to be a party pooper.
Brushbox.
Yeah I'm happy with the blackbutt floors in my house. They are 108mm boards finished with Intergrain Tung Oil. I would have liked grey ironbark or spotted gum but they are not run in the 108mm width.
Mrs B said
Quote:
is blackbutt a rengerative Australian grown timber

That I don't know - but from a search it looks like it depends on the real source of the timber - & from what I can see - who's web page you want to listen to.

http://www.sutherland.nsw.gov.au/ssc/rwpattach.nsf/viewasattachmentPersonal/LYANA+DAUN~SSC~Sustainable+Building+Materials.pdf/$file/Sustainable+Building+Materials.pdf

http://www.rainforestinfo.org.au/good_wood/oz_avoid.htm

Duke will be able to answer that one a bit better I am sure.
Steve
Spotted gum, coastal blackbutt and Sydney Blue Gum (containing hybrid rose gum) are all grown as plantation timbers.
This does not necessarily mean a particular pack of flooring you buy has come from plantaion timbers.
Related
15/02/2024
Welcome to 2024 - Gyprocking prices have increased 40%!

Building A New House

Tradie may sit at home but will need to get house plastered as well or will you sit it out?

7/06/2023
Radiant or Convection Wood Fire

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

We are tossing up between a Jarrahdale radiant wood fire (the Pioneer) and a convection wood fire (Innovator or Countryman) but cannot decide on which type of wood fire is…

16/11/2023
Plaster meets wood - how to fill

Building A New House

yeah i couldnt picture it issue either, but i could clearly picture what they were doing wrong haha

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum