Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Carpet issues - advice needed!

Page 2 of 3
d15, was the carpet problem there before the water damage & 'repair / restoration' or has it happened since?
Anthony: Thanks again. We are hoping to have the carpet replaced - because of the damage and becuase the concrete is still wet under the carpet in the bedrooms cupboards - I'd hate to see under the rest of the carpet. I fill you in tomorrow after the inspection, when we see the carpet again.

Catjim: The problem with the carpet only began after the flood - before that it was great, so unless your place floods, it should be okay. At least I hope so.

What bricks have you chosen - we choose 'Boral Mist' and are having a few problems with the 'Mist' bricks: see http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38341

I will post tomorrow after the final inspection with what's happening with the carpet, and if they plan to fix it!
No resolve on the carpet unfortunately - we have to do another report for the builder about the carpet. What a long process - we had to dot, number, record and then photograph approximately 50-60 faulty areas of the carpet, which we have to provide to the builder with our comments.

Then we wait again ... probably for another none response from the office. Six months of building so far, and it looks like we will have to wait some more.
I guess that's better than a 'we think it's good enough and we don't want to discuss it any more'. Still not good enough though.

Have all the other issues been resolved ie the leaks?
We listed about 60 or so items on our final inspection 'defect/incomplete work list' - one being the carpet, another the bricks, and the rest being other issues around the house. Most look like they will be fixed, including all the scoring marks on the bricks (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38341).

On a funny note, guess what: we found another leak! The pipes in the bathroom have been leaking water and the vanity shelves etc. have expanded so these need to be replaced.

The other leaks, which I have provided photos of, haven't been located in the roof yet, so they said they will keep a look out for them. We didn't make it into the roof cavity during the inspection to see whats going on there, as the inspection ended up being 4.5 hours and our little one couldn't handle it any more!

Our site manager couldn't comment on the carpet as he has no information/feedback from the office of what they plan to do, if anything - hopefully the new report will help aid the office in the decision-making process, although the first one didn't. Will see what happens.

[catjim] I see you're making progress with your slab - it's exciting to see it finally begin!
I will be building soon. Hopefully not your builder !!!! It's so sad how many bad reports I hear. Selling carpet for 18 years and not a week passes with someone telling me another nightmare.....by the way. The latex holding your primary and secondary backings together in your carpet may be worse for the water too, causing premature delamination. Get it replaced !!!!
Well ... apparently the carpet has been stitched. But after going to the house today the holes are still not repaired, there are still gaps around the edges where you can see the slab, and edges where you can see the carpet backing. What a joke! Looks like we're moving in with terrible carpet, and then taking them to VCAT. Seriously over this carpet and the builder!
You'll win. Pity you have to go through the ordeal though.
There's no point arguing with them any more and having more repairs. it will never be the way it's supposed to be and you might as well get someone else to make the decision.
anthony_carter
You'll win. Pity you have to go through the ordeal though.

Agree. Stand up for your rights. Unfortunately it may be drawn-out affair.
Well at least an independent carpet inspector can get access to the house now that we are in! Have to book it in to get a report for VCAT, and also get a quote to fixing and replacing certain areas of the carpet, which is Quest, Clarence Square in pepercorn.

We also made sure we took video and photo evidence to prove the state of the carpet on handover, as they keep stating there is no issues with the carpet - I think a video that shows us and the SS at handover going through the carpet issues will fix any thoughts that the damage was caused after handover.

Does anyone know if we can get the carpet fixed and replaced where needed ourselves, and then ask through VCAT to be reimbursed. Or do we have to give the builder another opportunity through VCAT to fix it.
I think VCAT would make a ruling in your favour stipulating he has to provide you the flooring the way it should have been prior to the flooding, so perhaps best to wait.
More carpet issues at our place. When I vacuumed the floor the carpet has lifted around the edges - so now we have areas of 'floating carpet'! Also, more loops have come out. It's not even a strong vacuum. The next house we build, will have no carpet for sure

Getting a quote for new carpet soon.
Disappointed, did you end up contacting the independant carpet inspector you referred to above for an evaluation? How did you get on?

John
We have been in contact with a few people on what to do, including an indendent carpet inspector. He hasn't been out yet, as we wanted a free opinion first before we pay the $500 it's going to costs for the inspector.

We had a local person out today to see what they think, and he is referring it his boss to come out and have a look, and back up what he thinks - he is also under the opinion that it needs to be replaced. The carpet has dried so hard and stiff that the carpet won't stay down. The nails (tacs or whatever they are) are rusted, and the backing of the carpet just keeps ripping with the nails. He also thinks the loops will keep pulling, especially those not on the edge of the carpet. He'll can provide us with a quote, which we need for VCAT.
Just an update: we finally got our VCAT hearing against prostruct in Feb 2011. Let's hope for a good reolve on the carpet problems. On another note, we've just found out that the flooding under our front portico area is because they didn't connect our downpipes to the stormwater --- bobcat out today re-doing the pipes, which we were promised by our site manager that it was fixed when they broke the pipes during construction. So fustrating!!!!
Good luck with the hearing. Let us know the outcome.

The plumber seems to leave a bit to be desired. We'll keep a good check on what he's doing. Problem is the bits you can't see.

Ours is zooming along with the brickwork nearly finished, interior painting finished and all cabinets in. Looking good.
Hi dissapointed15
The problem is simple, but the solution is not.
If you have a loop pile carpet stretched over smoothedge (the wood strips with the spikes around the edge) and it gets wet. The proper method is use a stretcher to remove carpet. I can see the smoothedge under the carpet in the photo.

I don't know how much you know so it may read condescending.

Each line of loops is actually 1 continues length of thread just like pulling a woollen jumper thread. Someone has pulled the thread and i'll tell you how.
and it won't cost $500

"missing loops" & "join" & "edges around doorway"
You see the spikes run at a 45' angle away from the centre of the room and they hook into the carpet as the carpet is stretched to wards the wall they automatically grip. If the carpet is not taken past the point of grip before being pulled back the loops get pulled out.
AND CAN'T BE PUT BACK IN

"Edges and missing loops"
When the pile run parallel with the wall, the installer needs to put their stair tool behind the loop and push down from the backing. (Takes longer)
Someone has caught the pile and pushed it into the gap between the smoothedge and the wall.

"Bedroom cupboards"
Probably used to reach the wall. What happens when cloth or material not designed to be wet, gets wet. Shrinkage. If not, then it was cut short.

"edges around doors" & "overstretched"
Lifting wet carpet and returning it into place Never looks brand new.

BOTTOM LINE
water and carpet do not mix
Carpet is brand new ONCE. Take it up wet or damaged it is now second hand.

I would never take that job on because it can't look the same again with that type of carpet. How do I know.

23 years experience.

sorry for the bad news.
When is your hearing disappointed?
there are some real concerns there

A report stating the carpet was returned to pre incident condition means nothing if the condition of the carpet is unacceptable, with or without flooding, restoration etc
Related
6/06/2024
Advice Needed for Renewing Balustrades in Melbourne

Building A New House

I am in the market for renewing the balustrades for my Melbourne home. I am keen to hear from you about your experiences and tips especially around the…

12/06/2024
Advice needed for first time build in Perth

Building A New House

Many thanks indeed! Much appreciated! Noted re: limitations of sound insulation within off the shelf designs. However what measures can I take to at least improve the…

11/07/2023
Any issues?

Building A New House

I am looking at building a house. Has anyone used Construkt Homes (based in Adelaide)? Does anyone have experience with this builder?

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum