Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Advice on SDN carpet

Page 2 of 2
Hi All

I have two quotes for carpet that I urgently need to choose from. Both the same carpet so no issues there. My issue is underlay and reading on here it's mor elike a science than a simple choice.

Anyhow we have been quoted on using Bridgestone Blue with one company, and Dunlop Springtread by the other.

We want to go with the company using the Bridgestone as the carpet price is cheaper. However, I can really only find people reccomending Bridgestone Prime. We are a couple with a baby son with carpet on 2nd story and timber stairs. The only high traffic area will be the lounge room at the top of the stairs. The rest will not be used much as our living area is down stairs and tiled.

Can anyone please confirm if the Blue will be good for what we need/want, or should we really look at Prime? We like comfort and will be living in the house maybe 4/5 years.

Cheers
Hi Melton,

Sounds like the stores want you to buy what they want to sell (what they stock) rather than what you want.
This is often the case, and the stores will give you all sorts of assurances that what they want to sell you is the best etc.

But YOU are the customer, and they CAN supply the underlay of your choice if you are assertive & don't allow them to push you around. Here's some info...

Bridgestone 'Supa Blue' is a heavy weight underlay (even heavier than PRIME) and will have a similar value to PRIME. But it is about 2mm thicker which can lead to problems, as it is thicker than the gripper and more spongy, so it can bounce the carpet off the gripper. Supa Blue is only suitable for a very VERY heavy weight carpet. Prime is a better choice, and should NOT cost more than Supa Blue.

As I've often said, the best choice from the Dunlop range would be Excellay. If you really want something a bit softer, go for Dunlop Springtred Extra.

Ash.
Thanks Ash. The carpet we are looking at is 48 ounce twist pile SDN. In your eyes would that suit the Supa Blue? The other option is a 32 ounce shorter pile version of the same carpet.

Cheers
melton
Nup. I don't think Supa Blue is a good choice, with either carpet. The ONLY Bridgestone underlay I really like is PRIME.

BTW what carpet are you looking at? If you want a really good SDN, you should look at those made by Northstate Carpet Mills. http://www.northstatecarpets.com.au/pro ... ingSegment

Ash.
No worries. I'll find out the actual brand tomorrow. When sold by carpet choice its called the "eternity" range. But that's just the rebranded name. It's a charcoal twist pile SDN. We got the same carpet quoted by another company who were $1000 cheaper, and are happy to put whatever underlay we want down. CC would only offer "standard or upgraded" underlay...so no we won't be going with them.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know the real name of the carpet.

Cheers
melton
Hi All

Well have now lived with our new carpet for a week and still think it is the best thing ever!!!

I LOVE the feel of it and can't believe I spent so long with floorboards in the bedrooms. Everything is cosier, warmer and brighter and with a baby on the way feels like 'home'. I'm very happy.

The major problem has been that when the guys were laying the carpet they removed the doorstops (they are back on again) and somehow managed to smash one of the doors through the wall!!! So we now have a big hole in my little boy's bedroom wall. Have to say Carpet Court are being very good about it. The layer said he'd sort it but in the typical tradition of tradies, the guy he organised called once, never turned up and haven't heard back. But I'm sitting on $2K that I owe so not too worried!!!

Not 100% happy with a couple of the joins - one layer was older and the other just a kid and I think I know who did what. There are a few little 'tufts' coming up from the join. Not sure if I wil cut them off myself or see what happens. So will give it another week or two, see if it settles down then follow that up too. Again, I'm sitting on their money so feel very in control.

Other than all that, I love the colour, texture, look and feel. Just so pleased to have it done! No fluffing and no sneezing from my allergic husband. And he said last night he thought that carpets were meant to 'fluff up' for months after they were laid. Little did he know how much research I did!!! It looks clean all the time so I know I chose the right shade to hide the dust and fluff too.
So glad i found this thread! the carpet i have chosen (not locked in yet though) is the Beaulieu Cottage View too- Framboise what colour did you get, I have chosen Rice Paper...
chocolatenow?
So glad i found this thread! the carpet i have chosen (not locked in yet though) is the Beaulieu Cottage View too- Framboise what colour did you get, I have chosen Rice Paper...

We have Rice Paper from the Augusta Lane range. It's a really nice colour
excellent! cant wait to see ours laid now
Hi all this is a great thread and timely too!! We are also leaning towatd the Cottage View range, Weather'd Acorn colour. For the experts I have 2 questions:

What is the "Platinum" underlay and is this suitable under this carpet? If not, what should I ask for?

How does Norman Ellison - Studio range compare with the Beauliu Cottage View range?

Much appreciated
Francesco

>> We're alsmost finished our (modifed) Roselea Home in Eastwood
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

2/08/2023
Ramping Carpet Up To Bathroom Level

General Discussion

they can, it's a fairly standard solution when the slab isn't recessed. the falls need to be in the main floor, if it hasn't been done then you need to ask them to redo…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum