Join Login
Building ForumWindow Furnishings

Plantation Shutters - Timber or PVC?

Page 1 of 1
Plantation Shutters - timber or PVC? Help please.
I am confused.
Timber (basswood) - potential to swell if get wet.
PVC - how do they go over time? Would they distort in heat?
We live in Melbourne
We had both in our last house. You really couldn't tell the difference looking at them. The timber feels a little heavier and nicer to touch but otherwise if I get them again I'll be getting the PVC ones.
Did the PVC dint or warp in any way?
Would you put timber in ensuite?
I wouldn't put timber in any of the wet areas - we had PVC in the kitchen and timber elsewhere. The kitchen one always looked as good as new. The timber did swell a bit when it got only a few drops of rain on it and so the white surface cracked - if it was sealed/stained all round it might be OK but otherwise it didn't really work out. I won't say they're bad but the PVC obviously are a bit more hardwaring and as mentioned abovem the look is the same, the only time you'd know is when you touch them.
Thx Robbie. Planning on white painted ones. Did ask sales guy, but he only supplies the timber ones so of course said they are ok in bathroom.
Maybe have a look at the sample - if all the edges of the frame and louvres are sealed and not just painted white, you might be able to get away with it. If there is an option of PVC somewhere though I'd be recommending that. This is just my experience of course - I wasn't too keen on the PVC ones at first hence I went timber everywhere else, it was really just the sales guy recommending PVC and as they sold both and the PVC was cheaper I trusted his recommendation and glad I did for the kitchen.
In it true that any non wood shutter will give out a poisonous gas that can cause cancer?
Ca6leguy
In it true that any non wood shutter will give out a poisonous gas that can cause cancer?

Pretty much all products, adhesives, paints etc used to make PVC, timber or MDF shutters contain and release known and suspected carcinogens as do household paints, skirting boards, picture frames, vanities and kitchens, wooden Venetian blinds, indoor and outdoor furniture, plastic Xmas trees etc etc etc. There was a show a couple years ago about how "healthy" our houses are and anyone that's building anything other than an unfurnished mud brick house is pretty much affected.

I don't mean to sound like it doesn't matter but compared to other things in the house, I wouldn't stop getting shutters on that alone.
robbie55
Ca6leguy

Pretty much all products, adhesives, paints etc used to make PVC, timber or MDF shutters contain and release known and suspected carcinogens as do household paints, skirting boards, picture frames, vanities and kitchens, wooden Venetian blinds, indoor and outdoor furniture, plastic Xmas trees etc etc etc. There was a show a couple years ago about how "healthy" our houses are and anyone that's building anything other than an unfurnished mud brick house is pretty much affected.

I don't mean to sound like it doesn't matter but compared to other things in the house, I wouldn't stop getting shutters on that alone.

IMO things like that matter but I wouldn't stop getting shutters on that alone either. I reckon it's important to educate ourselves about what nasties are potentially in products and ask questions when deciding what to buy. Manufacturers have reduced things like formeldahyde, lead, VOC's, PAH's, etc and it's a good thing for customers to let them know that doing so matters to us and influences our purchasing decisions. But about your shutters, wood vs non-wood is too simple. What are the alternatives to wood? MDF? PVC? They are different materials with different potential problems. What is the wood painted with? Another potential problem. What else is in the room? You might already have something in the room and the amount that non-wood shutters adds might be negligible.
I have both in my home, and I really can't tell the difference at all, especially since they are white.

It was recommended to get PVC ones for the wet areas, and then I had to get them for the loungeroom, as they are slightly lighter in weight than the wooden ones (HDF), and I had a huge window that would have been too heavy in wood.

I highly recommend this company. They have done plantations in my Parents' and my home. They were very thorough in measuring and working out exactly what I wanted and which material would best suit. They've been in for almost 4 years and still look perfect (although dusty!!)

http://www.timbershades.com.au/

Feel free to have a look at mine on my blog here:

http://stormygirlscastle.blogspot.com.a ... re-in.html
The answer will depend on the company you have chosen to supply the plantation shutters. Some will treat their timber ones so that they are perfectly suitable for use in the wetter areas of the home and others won't, which means that they may swell or even rot when exposed to lots of moisture. In the same train of thought, some will use excellent quality PVC so that they don't warp in the sun and others won't, which means that they may damage easily. It will also depend on your personal tastes - do you like the look of timber or do you prefer more modern materials? If your answer is the latter, PVC will be the better option.

Personally, I love the look of natural timber but I don't always trust that it has been treated properly. This is why, for applications such as these, I would opt for the PVC option. You will have more peace of mind that nothing will go wrong (and remember that small dents and bends can actually be worked out of the shutters).
Thanks all for your advice.

Stormy - I did get Timber Shades in and was very happy with their service and going with them. Lots of options. Not just trying to sell me their product, they really spent time asking what I was wanting to achieve in different areas.
MummaDJ
Thanks all for your advice.

Stormy - I did get Timber Shades in and was very happy with their service and going with them. Lots of options. Not just trying to sell me their product, they really spent time asking what I was wanting to achieve in different areas.

That's great to hear! Yes, they were very detailed in every aspect to achieve just the look I was after, too.

I look forward to seeing pics of them!
In relation to the toxin issue I've been told that it's a good idea to have broad leaf plants, especially in new houses, as they absorb some of the toxins. This appears to make sense but perhaps someone with more expert knowledge could confirm whether this would make much difference.
robbie55
I wouldn't put timber in any of the wet areas - we had PVC in the kitchen and timber elsewhere. The kitchen one always looked as good as new. The timber did swell a bit when it got only a few drops of rain on it and so the white surface cracked - if it was sealed/stained all round it might be OK but otherwise it didn't really work out. I won't say they're bad but the PVC obviously are a bit more hardwaring and as mentioned abovem the look is the same, the only time you'd know is when you touch them.

Hey Robbie I'm slowly getting quotes, if you know of someone reputable let me know. I'm looking for DIY for most of the house, will need someone to do the front windows though.

Can't remember the name but the place we used were in Crystal St Petersham. I wouldn't say they were the best but gave good advice and a good finish on time. I'd be interested to hear how you go with the diy ones.
robbie55
Can't remember the name but the place we used were in Crystal St Petersham. I wouldn't say they were the best but gave good advice and a good finish on time. I'd be interested to hear how you go with the diy ones.

Thanks might go check them out. We have friends that DIYed using www.iseekblinds.com.au and recommended them. These are wood shutters though so I'm not keen on these for the bathroom (doing the entire house). But I quickly did costing from that website and it worked out to be around $5000 for the entire house vs $2700 for roller blinds for the entire house.

Related
23/07/2023
Fixing cracked stormwater PVC pipe

General Discussion

Plumbers 'can be' plumbers, made all the worse by self certification which the building surveyor invariably accepts as proof of compliance! The good thing is that you know know.

20/05/2024
Plumbing roots blocking PVC pipe

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

You might want to consider trenchless pipe replacement to solve the issue of roots blocking your pipes. By connecting the three upstairs bathroom…

10/05/2024
Damaged/repaired PVC pipe under concrete slab

General Discussion

The coupling, which is made from flexible PVC, needs to comply with AS/NZS 4327 which specifies the requirements for metal banded flexible couplings used in low-pressure…

You are here
Building ForumWindow Furnishings
Home
Pros
Forum