Join Login
Building ForumBuying Land

Conveyancer didn't pick up an overland flow path

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Our conveyancer failed to notify us of an Overland flow path & drainage pit at the back of our block of land when I gave them the section 32 & engineering plans to look over.
Using their good advice that the property only has a sewerage pit at the back we went ahead and purchased.
We have built a home on a slab and with the big rains it has come very close to flooding each time. 4 times in 7 months actually.
We are living in a nightmare and wondering how this overland path was not picked up by them?
Our neighbours down from us are also affected by this overland flow path and had no idea it was in their section 32's as well. Their conveyancers didnt pick it up either.
Any ideas what we do from here?
It is affecting our mental & physical health, not to mention devaluing our brand new house.
Thanks for any advice
bluberry
Hi,
Our conveyancer failed to notify us of an Overland flow path & drainage pit at the back of our block of land when I gave them the section 32 & engineering plans to look over.
Using their good advice that the property only has a sewerage pit at the back we went ahead and purchased.
We have built a home on a slab and with the big rains it has come very close to flooding each time. 4 times in 7 months actually.
We are living in a nightmare and wondering how this overland path was not picked up by them?
Our neighbours down from us are also affected by this overland flow path and had no idea it was in their section 32's as well. Their conveyancers didnt pick it up either.
Any ideas what we do from here?
It is affecting our mental & physical health, not to mention devaluing our brand new house.
Thanks for any advice

Did you pay a fee to the conveyancer to review the document prior to purchase?

If so, then you may be able to sue the conveyancer for a breach of their professional duty to inform you of the overland flow path and drainage pit.

The conveyancer should have Professional Indemnity Insurance to protect them from Errors and Ommissions on their behalf.

You will need to engage with a lawyer if you want to go down this path.
Thanks for your response, Im pretty sure I didnt pay the conveyancer until the sale of the block of land.
bluberry
Thanks for your response, Im pretty sure I didnt pay the conveyancer until the sale of the block of land.

You may still have a case, but your next step is to speak to a lawyer.
Related
1/01/2024
Back-flow Prevention Valve ?

Building A New House

Good luck with it. I don't know what the cost of a nice bidet seat with a 25mm air gap will be but you are obviously deducting the cost of a RPZ valve and its…

11/08/2023
Path around drop edge beam

Paving & Concreting

Hello everyone, After some suggestions and ideas about how to put a concrete path around the drop edge beam area on our new build. We are required to have a concrete path…

27/01/2024
Porte cochère - separate pedestrian gate/path?

Building A New House

Thank you so much for your response. I have drawn a pedestrian gate in - for curb appeal, let's see how much costs come in at. I think you're right - if we decide to…

You are here
Building ForumBuying Land
Home
Pros
Forum