Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

Suction issues

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I noticed today that my pool filter system has not been running for 2 weeks. I have a huge algae bloom so have shocked with chlorine and run the pump and pool cleaner all day. While doing this I noticed that even when the pump is running full speed the salt water chlorinator is not even half full.

In the last few months I have taken the chlorinator off to clean the cell but I did check for leaks when I finished and have not seen any. Today I have cleaned the filter cartilage, cleaned the skimmer basket and also cleaned the pump basket but it still does not seem to push as much water. My wife also commented recently that a water feature we have that runs off that pump does not seem to run as well as it used to.

Any ideas on where to look and what to try?

Thanks,
Checklist for a flow problem
Suction side
1 is pool full of water
2 is skimmer basket clean
3 is vacuum plate removed
5 is union on inlet to pump tight
6 is basket in pump clean

If all or above is ok the clear lid on pump should be full of water with minimal air .

If it is and you have a cartridge filter remove the cartridge , refit lid and run system without the filter . If you have good flow now you need to replace cartridge .

If a sand filter run on circulation to see if flow is restored .

If it is still not working the next steps are a little more technical
Cheers Andrew

Hi Thanks for the advice.
1. The pool was full.
2. Skimmer basket was clean.
3. Vacuum plate was not on.
4. The union on inlet pump was tight.
5. Pump basket was clean.

I tried what you suggested and removed the filter cartridge and the system worked a lot better the flow was better than I have seen it. I cleaned the filter cartridge again just in case but it was already very clean (I had cleaned it yesterday). I replaced the cartridge and the system still works well. Is it possible for air or a blockage to be in the system and running without the cartridge gave it enough power to push it through?

Anyway thanks for the advice seems to be running well now.
The cartridge over time becomes blocked and water will not flow through it . That’s when it is time to replace it
Cheers Andrew

Related
11/07/2023
Any issues?

Building A New House

I am looking at building a house. Has anyone used Construkt Homes (based in Adelaide)? Does anyone have experience with this builder?

27/07/2023
Slab design - contract issues

Building A New House

It looks your builder was trying his luck

3/10/2023
Issues with building contracts

General Discussion

Industry type domestic contracts are prepared by industry bodies for the benefit of the builders. This means that if you are the owner watch out. One of the points is…

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum