Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

Sealing Pavers - Pool

Page 1 of 3
Is it necessary to seal paver around a pool.

If yes - any suggestions and tip to watch out for.

Can I just apply it with a roller - like painting.
Also - is it like paint - re squares.

And - can it just go over the grout without trouble ?
Yes you seal for the sake of easy cleaning etc. dont use concrete sealer ect...there are pool sealers the do not skin the stone, paver, capping, saving it getting slippery when wet. crommelins make good stuff. apply 2 coats with long haired roller.
...pool sealers that do not skin....
Thanks mate.

Do I need to give it a good clean before - or if they've just been laid - ie new - is that OK.

Any idea on costs for the sealer ?

And - how long does a seal (2 coats) last - on average ?
I'll joint the topic.
We have granite pavers that been pre-sealed, however we've been told that we still need to seal them.
Paving people told us that they would change colour when we seal them, i.e. go darker than original.
Is it possible to avoid that transformation, is there any way to seal them without them changing colour.
Thanks
AubinGroveFan
I'll joint the topic.
We have granite pavers that been pre-sealed, however we've been told that we still need to seal them.
Paving people told us that they would change colour when we seal them, i.e. go darker than original.
Is it possible to avoid that transformation, is there any way to seal them without them changing colour.
Thanks

I thought pre-sealed was meant to be better - ie no need to seal and keep the colour ?
Saint Mike
AubinGroveFan
I'll joint the topic.
Thanks

I thought pre-sealed was meant to be better - ie no need to seal and keep the colour ?

That's what we thought but apparently they still need to be sealed...
is someone trying to feed me whole bunch of bs about extra sealing?
4-5 liters will cost you about $60-70. a typical pool (8X4) capping stone and surround (approx 5-6m2) would use about 1 Liter for 2 coats. Clean pavers and let them dry for a few days...ideally 3. 2 coats with an hr between coats...re-seal as necessary. Pool sealer is matte and has not changed the colour of any capping we've done in the past...(mostly clay pavers)
da_cleaner
4-5 liters will cost you about $60-70. a typical pool (8X4) capping stone and surround (approx 5-6m2) would use about 1 Liter for 2 coats. Clean pavers and let them dry for a few days...ideally 3. 2 coats with an hr between coats...re-seal as necessary. Pool sealer is matte and has not changed the colour of any capping we've done in the past...(mostly clay pavers)

Thanks for that
Saint Mike
Is it necessary to seal paver around a pool.

If yes - any suggestions and tip to watch out for.

Can I just apply it with a roller - like painting.

Missed this and note sure how, sorry.

The important thing I must ask first and foremost that has been missed in this thread is is the pool a salt water pool and what type of material are you sealing. If the product is a porous paver you must consider consolidating the stone to avoid salt attack. This help with the strength of the stone and avoid any delamination further down the track.

Regardless, we believe it is important to seal around pool areas. Where possible use a good quality product by a reputable manufacturing company. Penetrating sealers are better around pool areas as you don't have to worry about slip issues. They sit below the surface of the stone and should not change the colour of the stone. Two coat application for all sealers is recommended. With a life span of 3-5yrs in general.

Any tips to watch for - the main one I recommend is just to have an eye for detail when sealing. If the area isn't cleaned down properly you will seal it with stains left behind. Don't use hydrochloric acid to clean with. Nasty stuff.

Roller is good to apply. Low pressure spray better in my opinion. If you use a roller, medium nap roller is fine.

Let me know if I can help further.
Thanks for that.

Yes - salt.

Sandstone pavers - so - yes - porous.

I think I will go for a professional to do it - ie - clean - thorough clean - 2 coats etc.
OK, so if you have a salt pool AND sandstone I would definitely get it consolidated.

Do some research and if your in Vic I can help out if required. If your elsewhere let me know, I still may be able to help.

The consolidator is used on the coping and in and around the splash zone of your pool area. You must let this dry for a couple of days before sealing. This is important. It will act as a sealer of sorts but must not be used as a sealer by itself. Generally a penetrating sealer should be applied over the surface.

There are two schools of thought about the application of the consolidator. One is to dip seal and completely submerse the stone. That way you will get a complete binding of the stone happening. The other is when an area has already been laid. Apply as much as the stone will take. One coat after another after another. That way you will get total penetration depth and excellent results. Ensure that when you have finished that the consolidator is sitting to the surface of the stone but not on the stone.

Once drying has taken place as mentioned above ,seal using a high quality penetrating sealer. Ensure you re-seal after a period of time (3-5yrs) to ensure you keep the area fresh and protected.

Please note the above is based on my products, not others as we all slightly differ. Hope this helps
miteq
OK, so if you have a salt pool AND sandstone I would definitely get it consolidated.

Do some research and if your in Vic I can help out if required. If your elsewhere let me know, I still may be able to help.

The consolidator is used on the coping and in and around the splash zone of your pool area. You must let this dry for a couple of days before sealing. This is important. It will act as a sealer of sorts but must not be used as a sealer by itself. Generally a penetrating sealer should be applied over the surface.

There are two schools of thought about the application of the consolidator. One is to dip seal and completely submerse the stone. That way you will get a complete binding of the stone happening. The other is when an area has already been laid. Apply as much as the stone will take. One coat after another after another. That way you will get total penetration depth and excellent results. Ensure that when you have finished that the consolidator is sitting to the surface of the stone but not on the stone.

Once drying has taken place as mentioned above ,seal using a high quality penetrating sealer. Ensure you re-seal after a period of time (3-5yrs) to ensure you keep the area fresh and protected.

Please note the above is based on my products, not others as we all slightly differ. Hope this helps

Thanks.

And - after - say 4-5 years - would I just do a clean off and apply more sealer ?

One other question - I notice some slight "peeling" on top of a few pavers - ie like a slight amount is coming off. Is this normal - its quite solid under the thin layer that's peeling.

I love the little fossils in some of them - but I gather many peole don't.
Sorry - in SEQ - not Vic.

And yes - salt and sandstone.

BUT - very hot sun - even now. So water dries very quickly. As the stones are not all perfect - ie like bathroom tiles - some have small indentations - where water can sit. Even this dries pretty quick though.
What about if you have chlorine pool and granite pavers around it. Do you need to seal it even though pavers are supposedly pre-sealed?
Saint Mike
Thanks.

And - after - say 4-5 years - would I just do a clean off and apply more sealer ?

One other question - I notice some slight "peeling" on top of a few pavers - ie like a slight amount is coming off. Is this normal - its quite solid under the thin layer that's peeling.

After the 4-5 years yep, just clean and re-seal. Ensure you use the same product so as not to worry about any compatibility issues.

As for your peeling I'm not to sure about this. Depending on the type of finish your sandstone is will depend if this is normal or not. Unfortunately my area of expertise is in sealers, not stone. Ask the place where you bought it from or a local stonemason, they may be able to shed some light for you.
AubinGroveFan
What about if you have chlorine pool and granite pavers around it. Do you need to seal it even though pavers are supposedly pre-sealed?

Pre-sealed stone is a bit tricky. I have found that most stones that are presealed are done so with a very cheap sealer. One that generally doesn't last long. They pre-seal it for transportation and storage so as to ensure it can be cleaned down to look new again. I have found most of these sealers will not really give any sort of stain resistance.

I would always recommend sealing once the product has been laid.
miteq
Saint Mike
Thanks.

After the 4-5 years yep, just clean and re-seal. Ensure you use the same product so as not to worry about any compatibility issues.

As for your peeling I'm not to sure about this. Depending on the type of finish your sandstone is will depend if this is normal or not. Unfortunately my area of expertise is in sealers, not stone. Ask the place where you bought it from or a local stonemason, they may be able to shed some light for you.

Thankyou.

No problem, let me know how you go.
Related
3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

20/04/2024
Sealing Gas heater brevis underground duct

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi everyone Question about Brevis gas heating undergound - was recently installed by previous owners (<1 year old) but live in a relatively large house - 4 bdr - and only…

19/11/2023
Expertise on keeping large pavers in place driveway

Renovation + Home Improvement

Appreciate that Chippy. I won’t do sand under pavers and will connect all up under pavers, however I was going to do: 1) Roadbase compacted with manual hand tamper 2)…

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum