Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

Pool quote - did / can you negotiate?

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone.

We're in Brisbane and we're building in Coffs Harbour. We want to get a pool however, these are our quotes so far:

1. $48,000.00
2. $45,350.00
3. $33,500.00
4. $26,500.00

Yes quite a difference! The pool we want is a 7x4m in-ground pool, salt water.

We've totally said no to quote 1 & 2.... quote 3, have a good reputation however, I'm yet to experience the goodness. In November 2012, after 1 week of phoning them, and 3 emails, we decided to go with quote 4. I also met someone who is also building a house with a pool in the Coffs region and they're getting their pool from quote #3.....for about $28,500.00. So when I enquired as to why ours was costing more (for the same pool) they told me on the phone yesterday that we have extra things in ours (beams and other bits)....then they sent me an email today telling me there has been two price increases in the pool since my friend got their pool. Pools can't just increase, surely? What sort of product increases? Getting a pool from a different supplier or a different type of pool, costing more I can understand. But the same pool? ....I just don't buy it.

So you're probably saying "just go with quote #4!" Problem with quote 4, not a good reputation..... our builder hasn't had good dealings with them and my friend who is building with quoter #3, has nothing but good things to say about them.

So what should we do? what would you do? have you negotiated a pool quote before?
Are you comparing apples with apples.
I often see low quotes which don't take into account many essential items. Last week I did a quote for a 6m pool with the lot for $65000 . She showed me a quote from another company $28000. It didn't address any of the site issues including rock, access, retaining wall water features, infinity edge, paving, waterline tiles, fence landscaping approvals, home warranty insurance, it didn't even include getting rid of the dirt
Advice is read the quote very closely. Don't sign any contract till you are completely comfortable with it. If its not in writing its not included
I got three quotes for our 10x5m pool. No excavation was required as it was built within an existing old shell, but poured as if any new pool would be. Our price included paving the sour pound which was approx 50sqm. All three prices were between $42k and $ 43k. Hope this helps
Actually the low quote included the usage of a crane AND our tiles....the only reason we're not going with them is because of their reputation. Otherwise, the product and its necessary extras & tools to install it are all the same.

We're not having the pool builders do any landscaping, fencing, and they don't need to excavate completely - the house builders will be flattening the land for them. All we want is a pool - installed.

Access is easy, there is an empty block of land next to ours....and they haven't even been to do a site inspection. I've sent them a contour plan but that's it.

Do pool companies negotiate?

wow doczim, is that expensive? I mean, they don't even have to excavate anything and 10x5m isn't that big.....
The pool is quite big. 50sqm of granite paving layed cost a fair bit. It was more than we budgeted for as we were going to renovate and resurface pool but turned out this wasn't an option. The three quotes all from companies referred to us were all very similar so we just accepted that's what it was going to cost and chose the right one for us.
have sent a pm to you but i do know that there was a price increase in september.
do not know of the second increase.
We are looking into pools at the moment.

We have been in contact with Colin from Masterbuilt Pools, not sure if you were after a similar design to what he has, but seems very reasonably priced. Maybe see what he has and see if you can save some money here if you supply your own pool.

We are currently shopping around for a pool installer !!

Masterbuilt Website
Typically,

If they have a good rep...your doing yourself a favor spending the extra.
If they have a poor rep...invariably expect to pay in the future.

Talk to as many passed clients as possible and don't rush, even for the sake of the coming summer.
You must ask your friends or neighborhood to know the reputation or maybe they can help you with it. I would suggest to get a Good Reputation with a Good Price. Rather than Bad Reputation with Cheap Price.
Related
8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! ๐Ÿ˜Š so, itโ€™s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

7/08/2023
Kitchen Quote advice please!

General Discussion

I was being kind to the builder. With the amount charged for the upgrade the builder is probably charging closer to 100% margin. There are a few variables as I…

29/08/2023
Sandstone crazy paving quote

Landscape & Garden Design

I had 28m2 of engineered pavers laid six months back and it was difficult to find someone not taking the pi$$. Internet suggested it should be $85-100/m2 to lay them.…

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum