Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks

Glass splashback vs tiles

Page 1 of 2
We have been given a quote of $1188 for the glass splashback to the kitchen

I have actually been debating whether I want one at all and this price certainly has me leaning to tiling.

Of course I would like some nice tiling (not one that would date) and I find myself wondering if this would be just as expensive as the glass splashback.

What are your thoughts on glass splashbacks vs tiles. Does glass tend to look smeared when you clean it? Has anyone gone for a tiled splashback with a feature tile (in particular with M) and was it just as expensive.

Thanks
Hi penny,

I love the look of glass - very easy to clean with a bit of windex - no streaks.

Sorry I'm no help
I was thinking of glass mosaic tiles at one stage but when I pictured my spag bol in the white grout I quickly changed my mind, I am not a neat cook. I have heard glass is great, no smearing, easy peasy and that is my choice next
I would fork out the extra money for glass, I really hate grout!
Thats the same reason we went with glass - I could just imagine my mess ruining the grout of tiles (of course you could get dark grout and that might help) I'm not surew how much tiles could end up costing but I wouldn't be suprised if they were almost as expensive as the glass!
Penny73 it really is a personal choice after having both I am a fan of glass.
Very easy to clean.....even when its not clean it looks clean

choice of colours is fantastic and the thought of having to clean grout behind my cooktop again gives me a pain in my eye.

I love some of the tiles around there are some that I love especially the large ones.

But it may just end up costing you alot for the tile and then for the laying. The tiles that won't date well there are colours in splashback that won't date aswell. But then in a certain amount of years everything dates......Have a look at all you costs and time to clean. I would go glass
Ah yes I think I will just have to fork out the cash. IT is probably only a few hundred more after you factor in any tile upgrades.

Thanks everyone
I got glass splashback though the big M, and it is fantastic.
A quick OT here.....that is one cute baby Adrian B
That price does not seem too bad for glass splashback upgrade penny? I always thought they were closer to $2k?

I could be wrong, haven't looked into it as we are not upgrading
would have loved to, but we'll only have a very small piece of splashback (one side is a window) and preferred to spend extra on a stone benchtop.
I would go glass, we have tiles with glass mosaics as in insert. Next time I wil be going for a glass splash, they are much easier to keep clean.
donuts
That price does not seem too bad for glass splashback upgrade penny? I always thought they were closer to $2k?

Agreed, our quote was close to $2k hence we went with the tiles - would have loved the glass splashback but just couldn't afford everything we wanted, damn
Two months back M quoted me $950 for glass splashback, so your is pretty close to this amount, may be a little increase in prices of everything. glass is my choice as well.

I am a HUUUUUUUGE fan of glass splashbacks! I've had them in two homes and would never go back to tiles. In fact, my ultimate house would have absolutely no grouting (therefore no tiles) whatsoever!

Being a newbie here, I don't know who or what 'M' is, but If you hunt around for glass suppliers, they'll usually cut the bits you want to size for a lot less than the price you've been quoted!

I've got glass above the cooktop (approx 1000mm x 500mm) and over the sink area (approx 1500mm x 150mm) - not necessary anywhere else really. It's dead easy to clean without leaving streaks.

The type of glass is plain (flat) on one side and 'dimpled' on the other side (like bathroom windows), with the flat side outwards, away from the wall.

Highly recommend it!

We are currently making this very decision at the moment too. We had originally chosen tiles for our splashback however so many people are convincing me to go with glass. I love the look of glass and as the others have said, it's easier to clean. We have tiles in our rented house at the moment and they are a pain. We were quoted $1200 for a glass splashback in our new home, and I think it will be woth it. We will have to go back to the colours place though and find a nice one asap as our tender appointment is Monday.
When I built with PD the glass splashback was an inclusion with the promotion but I went for tiles because I liked the look. I have white rectangular tiles in a brick pattern. I treated them with a grout sealer and haven't had any issues with mess - although I do cook tomatoey things on the front burners just in case.
We elected to go for arcrylic splash backs- a product called Zenolight. Cheaper than glass but still more expensive than tiles. The downside is that it can't be used close to heat ie stove top. We have glass blocks behind our stove top so it was possible for us. Builders gave us a credit back on tiling allowance so was about $1,000 extra all up.

regards
sean
sounds good sdabel - have you got a picture of what it will look like?
We're fairly close to deciding that we will have a 20 Cm tall strip of granite to match the benchtops, and just plain old paint on the rest of the wall. It's just as classy to me, and I can wipe the wall down if I get a mess. I can also repaint any time I like.

To be honest, that's what we have now in our 50 year old house (except the strip is tiles) and we don't have any problems keeping it clean.

Greg
sdabel
We elected to go for arcrylic splash backs- a product called Zenolight.

Hi there! I've heard of this and was considering it but couldn't get any real indicative pricing...do you have any details on it?
Related
You are here
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks
Home
Pros
Forum