Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks

Offseting green of clear float glass

Page 1 of 1
We're looking at splashback colours in an off-white, and don't wan't so much of the effect of the green in standard glass. The marketing people then push you straight towards low-iron glass, but my first inclination was if there's a colour cast, then just choose a paint colour that when combined with the green gives you the colour you want.

Looking at the colour content from photos of white on clear, it looks it would mainly need some red component, so some light pink paint should give a fairly neutral grey result. But then I was thinking surely lots of people have done this before and I would find lots on the web about the results. But after lots of searching I came up with virtually nothing, as if no-one was really even considering it.

Maybe I'm just not using the right search terms, but I'm hearing figures of around 200/m2 extra for low iron glass, and I'd expect if you could get a similar effect by just tweaking the paint colour then people would be trying to make it work. So does anyone have any ideas on this?
White on clear glass
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/stewiesno1/Whiteonclearglass_zps7fe3cf41.jpg

White on starfire glass
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/stewiesno1/WhiteonStarfireglass_zps5a5f20a5.jpg
$350 m2 for float glass
and $450 m2 for starfire

Stewie
That's good to see the comparison. However, I can answer my own question. After going to a different splashback place, it looks like it is something they do. They use a colour with a bit of pink in it, which takes the green out of the glass, and you're left with something not far off white.
oneJohn
That's good to see the comparison. However, I can answer my own question. After going to a different splashback place, it looks like it is something they do. They use a colour with a bit of pink in it, which takes the green out of the glass, and you're left with something not far off white.

Sounds a bit hit and miss to me.

Far better to do it right from the start. Go for Starfire!
I been doing splashbacks for 10 years and no amount of paint mixing will make a Clear glass splash look off white. You can tweak it to get a beige colour but thats about the extent of it. The difference between Low iron and clear glass should be no more than $50 sq/m difference but yes maybe in total cost of whole job the difference could be $200. Unless you know what colour will work paying a painter to mix different paints to try and achieve this would be more that the extra difference.
Hi oneJohn... did you end up choosing a splashback colour and glass?

I basically thought the same thing as you and did a test on some scrap glass I got from a glass store:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ba0pcxzq1129ae/IMG_20150427_220224.JPG

It is really hard to offset clear float glass and achieve an off white as you can see in the above link...
I ended up going to a different splashback company who actually had lots of colour samples. They had one that was quite a good off-white on plain glass. It's probably not as bright a white as on the low-iron glass, but still clearly off-white. So it's easier when the glass company has already done the work for you..

I had been guessing a starting colour as Dulux Fairy Wings Quarter for a slightly warm off-white through the 6mm glass, but would have been aiming to try some glass over the top of some samples.

In the end we changed our colour scheme anyhow, and ended up wanting more colour in the splashback, so just going with one of the pre-done samples.
Stewie D
White on clear glass

Stewie

This is the look that I want for my polar white kitchen, do I just ask for "white on clear glass"?
thanks,
Sharon
Yes, you should just be able to ask for white behind standard glass. Be aware that the colour will vary a bit depending on the angle that you look at it from, so it would be good to check a sample from your splashback supplier.
Thanks John for your help

oneJohn
Yes, you should just be able to ask for white behind standard glass. Be aware that the colour will vary a bit depending on the angle that you look at it from, so it would be good to check a sample from your splashback supplier.
Related
25/09/2023
Invisible Channel Fix Glass Fencing

Pools & Spas

Need to remove glass panel out of concrete without wrecking the glass to get the spa room in, any recommendations on how to do that. Thank you

26/10/2023
Which glass for stacker doors

Windows & Doors

What do you need them to withstand? If it's normal wear and tear, then either will do, if you want resistance to ingress then laminated would be the favourite, but only…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks
Home
Pros
Forum