Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks

Grey Glass Splashback - Help and advice needed please

Page 1 of 1
Hi! I need some urgent help picking a grey glass splashback. We are in the process of building at the moment and the tiles that we chose (originally to go with a grey kitchen) don't suit our white kitchen (our kitchen is now white and the tiles are very white making the cupboards look dirty/cream which we don't like). So we are going to get a glass splashback to put over the top of it and hide our mistake.

Here is what our kitchen looked like a couple of weeks ago without the tiles and prior to the rest of the overhead cupboards being put in (sorry, don't have a current pic).

Can we please get some help choosing a splashback colour. It will be a grey of some sort (I'm liking the look of Dulux Flooded Gum but might need to buy a sample pot). I would love some help (preferably some pics of other people's splashback's). Also what do people think about a straight colour vs something with some sparkle.

Thanks in advance!
Hi, We have Dulux 1/2 strength grey pebble. The same as our walls.
[IMG=http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6424/img0416s.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
We have Dulux Beige Royal 1/2 Splashback with Beige Royal 1/4 walls.

Pictures on Blog as below

Labels - Splashback
Unfortunately no pics yet. Our white kitchen is in and bench tops go in tomorrow. Glass will be after that. We are 99.9% sure we're going with Silkwort which is the colour under Flooded Gum on the paint chip. We did consider Dieskau but think it's a bit too light.

Initially I liked Ito, but then decided it had too much blue in it.

So hard picking a colour!
Dreamer
Unfortunately no pics yet. Our white kitchen is in and bench tops go in tomorrow. Glass will be after that. We are 99.9% sure we're going with Silkwort which is the colour under Flooded Gum on the paint chip. We did consider Dieskau but think it's a bit too light.

Initially I liked Ito, but then decided it had too much blue in it.

So hard picking a colour!

Our Silkwort glass is in

Wow, that looks great Dreamer, the splashback matches your benchtop very well. We've gone with the Flooded Gum after all which looks very very similar to your Silkwort. Hubby bought a cheap piece of sheeting from Bunnings which was the same width as a splashback and we painted it with a sample pot and placed it in the gap and it seems to look good. I will post a pic when it's in.
I bet it will look great!

Here's a pic of the Flooded Gum for those who are interested. We're happy with it.

Looks really good!
Love it
Nice, looks really good
Hi guys, please forgive my ignorance but how are you getting glass splashbacks matched to paint colours? Are you painting the back of the wall first and getting a clear glass splashback over the top or do the splashback companies make them to specific paint colours? Thanks!
bringiton
Hi guys, please forgive my ignorance but how are you getting glass splashbacks matched to paint colours? Are you painting the back of the wall first and getting a clear glass splashback over the top or do the splashback companies make them to specific paint colours? Thanks!

On a recent trip through the Simpson Desert, I took a large panorama photo about 150 Kms north of Oodnadatta, South Australia and it was printed on the back of specially prepared glass and then coated to seal it.

Phil

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac258/vk1dx/IMG_4478.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac258/vk1dx/IMG_4463.jpg
bringiton

Our glass is clear "starfire" glass and they painted the back of it with the colour we have chosen. I imagine they buy a pot of it from a hardware store or get a painter to mix the paint to match the specifications. I do know some people who painted the wall behind the glass rather than the glass itself so they could change it if they wish. We just didn't have that ability. Hope that helps.
Dream House 82
I imagine they buy a pot of it from a hardware store or get a painter to mix the paint to match the specifications. I do know some people who painted the wall behind the glass rather than the glass itself so they could change it if they wish. We just didn't have that ability. Hope that helps.

Pretty close to the mark. They should also have "sealed" the back to stop any growth or mould happening. Like they did to ours. Maybe something more than just a "pot of paint from the store as well". Remember that you cannot get to the rear of the glass to easily to "touch up" or give it another coat.

Phil
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

6/06/2024
Advice Needed for Renewing Balustrades in Melbourne

Building A New House

I am in the market for renewing the balustrades for my Melbourne home. I am keen to hear from you about your experiences and tips especially around the…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks
Home
Pros
Forum