Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks

Mosaic splashbacks

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone have a mosaic splashback? I am thinking of plain white mosaic tiles but am affraid of the grout getting dirty and how difficult it would be to keep clean.

What are everyone's experiences?

Also, mosaic splashbacks, YAY or NAY?
Can look great, but too much grout!!
We had a splashback made of 100mm square tiles and that was bad enough, let alone mosaics.
White tiles+white grout=cleaning nightmare. Would look fantastic brand new, but give it a few months and.....
We are doing a mosaic splashback and this was one of our concerns. There is an epoxy product that can be mixed with the grout that prevents both moisture penetration and mould and is guaranteed for 10 years. It is expensive though at about $150 per square metre. Ask your tiler about it.

No question though, a mosaic splashback will not be as easy to keep clean as glass or plain tiles.
Depends on the colours and the colour grout... we too had a 100mm square tile splash back... light grey tiles with white grout... the place was 15 years old when we bought it and they were disgusting. However when we renovated we ripped the tiles out and put black gloss 100mm tiles with black grout and no problems... we wipe it down after we cook at night with Windex and a cloth but at least once a week when we do the big clean up we ajax it and then windex with paper towel and the tiles come up like new... but again it's black grout maybe that's why we can't see stains??!!
i've got red mosaics with silver grey (nearly white) grout and have no problems with it at all. Been in the house 9 months.
I have white glass mosacis (well they have a pale green/blue tinge) with white grout, it's a bit of extra work to keep clean, but I love them! Pics here: http://vintagemodernhome.blogspot.com/2 ... hback.html
I love glass mosaics but i will never have a mosaic splashback again. Unless you do as a previous poster & use dark grout, the cleaning is a nightmare (we had offwhite grout). I have way more important things to do than constantly clean a kitchen splashback & will never do it again.
We have porcelain glass tiles with grey grout. I'll be cleaning. Might stick some tin foil across the back when making messy things like spag bowel....lol.
We have blue/purple mosaics with light grey grout and haven't had any staining in the grout (and I'm one hell of a messy cook!). I just give them a quick wipe over after cooking, pretty easy really. Maybe its because of the darker colours in tiles but they never actually look dirty, I can only tell by running my hand across them and feeling for grease/dirt.
We recomend you seal the tiles so and grout, which make them easier to clean
We have tiny little mosaic splashback tiles. . . I scrub them with a dishwashing brush whenever Phil decides to cook spag bol and "forgets" to clean the splashback, or does a "boys job" of it.

I figure if I scrub all the grout away, I'll just re-grout them!
Eco Builder
We recomend you seal the tiles so and grout, which make them easier to clean

We are getting glass mosaic tiles. We have it vertical in the bathrooms and horizontal in the kitchen. Ours are quite a bit up from the bench as its under the top row of wall tile. Our tile mentioned that grout sealer is reccommend on all regardless of colour. We are doing this for sure, I don't want to have to get the cleaning toothbrush out very often
For the 1st few months I'll probably tape foil across the splash back.
Related
You are here
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks
Home
Pros
Forum