Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks

Mirror splashbacks

Page 2 of 2
purpleninja
Southies
And what about the problem of the edges getting discoloured from either moisture getting in or poor manufacturing - it does happen. Can't be fixed - you need to replace the entire mirror.

Wouldn't that also affect glass splashbacks (with a painted back surface)?

Are the mirrors more susceptible to this than normal painted glass?

We've got glass splashbacks in our office kitchen, where we had a water leak. The paint didn't lift at all, just dried up. However, mirrors go black where exposed to water & nothing can be done to repair it, as far as I know anyhow.
Southies
We've got glass splashbacks in our office kitchen, where we had a water leak. The paint didn't lift at all, just dried up. However, mirrors go black where exposed to water & nothing can be done to repair it, as far as I know anyhow.

That's helpful to know as we're considering mirrors vs. glass right now.

Thanks
Southies
And what about the problem of the edges getting discoloured from either moisture getting in or poor manufacturing - it does happen. Can't be fixed - you need to replace the entire mirror.

My wife loves the mirror effect also . as for edges etc, this was from Stonecutters original post. I agree with the comment about the reflection of the sun, I think that could be a bigger problem..

Mirratech is Grade A safety glass and is toughened glass to Australian standards As 2208/1996 (known as tempered glass) in accordance with As 1288/2006 therefore making our product suitable for most conditions, recommended for use in domestic and commercial settings. Normal mirror is not grade A safety glass, as normal silvered mirrors are vulnerable to moisture, humidity and susceptible to corrosion and mirror creep rust.
purpleninja
Southies

Wouldn't that also affect glass splashbacks (with a painted back surface)?

Are the mirrors more susceptible to this than normal painted glass?

i work in the glass industry
in regards to mirrors fading/discolouring due to moisture etc it shouldnt be a broblem if your mirror splashback is properly sealed with the correct silicon. as long as the mirror backing is not exposed it should last for a very long time this is the same with regular painted splashbacks. as long as proper paints are used with the correct hardener additives the paint wont peal/flake or discolour.
make sure your supplier is using the correct silicon for the job. regular silicon can damage painted surfaces.
Sorry, I'm going to drag this to the top again

http://www.auroraglass.com.au/
Personally, I wouldn't have a mirror splashback as I am another one who likes low maintenance.
I have also requested tiled splashbacks in our wet areas (standard was a mirror all the way down to the bench top) as I can't stand the sight of toothpaste sprayed all over them after DH has brushed
bluesteel
Does anyone know the approx cost of toughened mirror splashback? Also does anyone know of a supplier in Adelaide? Was thinking glass but could not really decide on a colour I loved except white..... thanks

netadelle
oddly enough, I really wanted a smoked mirror splashback in my kitchen, and have been looking into it in Adelaide.

I have a quote of $600 sqm for toughened smoked mirror, $400 sqm for glass splashback and $30 for each powerpoint cutout.

Seems about on par for what I have come across elsewhere.

Rick Hooper Glass ph 82781987 they are on marion rd, mitchell park.

Hi guys,
Did either of you go ahead with a glass or mirrored splashback? I am Adelaide and am looking at this at the moment but I want either clear glass or mirror and the two places i have called don't do either. Haven't called Rick Hooper yet as he is on the other side of town but might have to
Sorry but I dont think I could stand a mirror splashback all those reflections would drive me crazy! you would see 2 of everything on the benchtop and when cooking would see yourself I couldnt think of anything worse

I do like the glass ones though and at least they add a bit of colour
Taffy
Sorry but I dont think I could stand a mirror splashback all those reflections would drive me crazy! you would see 2 of everything on the benchtop and when cooking would see yourself I couldnt think of anything worse

So right Taffy
imagine that, first thing on a Sunday morning, getting a cuppa ewwwww
double ewwwwww with a hangover, what if you're accidentally naked getting a cuppa
"Accidentally naked", SuH? How does one get accidentally naked?
MagicJ
"Accidentally naked", SuH? How does one get accidentally naked?

You are right though, SuH, I couldn't stand looking at myself all day with my clothes on, let alone if they accidently (or on purpose) came off!!!!!
MagicJ
You are right though, SuH, I couldn't stand looking at myself all day with my clothes on, let alone if they accidently (or on purpose) came off!!!!!

It's bad enough getting out of the shower some mornings
lisanne
MagicJ

It's bad enough getting out of the shower some mornings

Yes
now why did I put such a large mirror in the ensuite, I scare myself some mornings
SuH
Taffy

So right Taffy
imagine that, first thing on a Sunday morning, getting a cuppa ewwwww
double ewwwwww with a hangover, what if you're accidentally naked getting a cuppa

Now thats a thought

I suppose the DH's would love it double the viewing pleasure
Big T

Hi guys,
Did either of you go ahead with a glass or mirrored splashback? I am Adelaide and am looking at this at the moment but I want either clear glass or mirror and the two places i have called don't do either. Haven't called Rick Hooper yet as he is on the other side of town but might have to

No we went with tiles. Small tiles, which I am now re-thinking, but since it will cost me $250 to change my mind I am just going to have to suck it up.

A few people have put up photos where they have used polished rectified large tiles, 600x400 size. I wish I had gone with that and seen those before we had our colour selections.
Oh my Gosh!! I've gone from white glass splashback to mirror splashback...back to white glass...and now I'm into the mirror splashback again!!
I need to make a decision soon.....I really do not know which one to choose!! PLEASE HELP! Anyone???

I'm having an all white handle-less kitchen with caesarstone calacatta benchtops. If I decide on glass splashback, it's going to be white...I don't want any other colour!
Or should i get mirror?
They say that the toughened mirror splashback used in kitchen is very east to keep clean and is not like your normal mirror.
Please help.................
Also...the mirror comes in 2 colours - Smoke or silver grey. WHich one should i pick???
Hi everyone ... ItalianGal, I'm in the same boat. Smokey Grey mirrored splashback or white for me too. Was set on the mirror but having second thoughts after reading this again. Also wanting the same caesarstone as you. HELP!
suh
Hi everyone ... ItalianGal, I'm in the same boat. Smokey Grey mirrored splashback or white for me too. Was set on the mirror but having second thoughts after reading this again. Also wanting the same caesarstone as you. HELP!

I've just made my decision. White on starfire glass. ?
Related
18/04/2024
Hang 10kg mirror on dry wall.

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Ditto 3M Claw, expensive but best thing I've used to date. I put two of the 11kg ones in for a 12kg mirror on the wall, and its been great for 4 years now.

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks
Home
Pros
Forum