Join Login
Building ForumLaundry Appliances

Cost to have dryer ducted externally??

Page 1 of 1
Just wondering how much people are paying to have their dryers ducted externally? We've just been advised $350 and thought that was a bit steep. The laundry has an external door so not far to do..

Thanks!
Flexible ducting kits for external venting of clothes dryers usually can be bought from the manufacturer of the dryer for less than $100. Check applianceonline.com.au. I think I've also seen them in Bunnings too. If your dryer is to be mounted above the washing machine next to the external wall as a DIY job it should not be too hard. You'll need a hammer drill with a masonry bit to cut the bricks on the external wall to make a hole. You can buy external vent covers from Bunnings as well if the venting kit doesn't have them.

If your dryer is under a bench, you may need to run the vent thru the cupboard with the laundry trough and out an external wall.

I woudl agree that in any case $350 is a bit steep!
For our previous dryer my husband bought a kit, simular to the other poster I think and he did it himself. He was only ducting it into our roof cavity so not sure about the actual cutting hole out through wall to outside.

Our new dryer in one of the condensing ones which doesn't need the air vented which you might want to look into if you are going to end up spending that much money anyways.
If the 350 is supplied and installed, that sounds pretty reasonable for a professional job. I'm looking at a lot more things now where I could do it myself, but rather spend time with my family than half the weekend screwing around with some types of jobs. I guess if you are keen to save some money, then of course it's a do-it-yourselfer. There's probably 3+hours of labour involved without thinking about it to vent the drier to the outside.
Agree with Phippsy.

Its not just a matter of cut a hole:

Measure all cuts to be made with dryer in proposed place. This may require re mounting the dryer.
Cut plaster/brick/required areas and run ducting
fit off connections to allow good seal, check connections on dryer when re mounted.
patch brick/plaster.

Re paint as required.

Clean up.
Really $350 sounds about right, if you do not have them it will cost at least that much in tools to do the job right. Let a professional do it for you. Just make sure you don't pay until the job is done to your satisfaction. If when they arrive to do the job they start telling you that yours is a special case and it will cost more, just tell them you will have someone else do the job.

I hope this helps, let us know what you decide.
HouseFenster
Related
11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. Does this placement sound reasonable to you? Also, I plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. I think i plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room (mainly for entertainment so not used often),…

16/01/2024
Ducted air con insulation question

General Discussion

Hi there I have a Panasonic ducted air con system.…

You are here
Building ForumLaundry Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum