Join Login
Building ForumLaundry Appliances

URGENT- top loader or front loader and Why!

Page 1 of 2
Ugh! Our washing just blew up (seriously there was smoke!) and we're in the car off to get another one! Our old one was 5kg top loader! And it was okay . . . But need suggestions for a new one!

TIA!
We have a front loader LG Inverter 7.5kg washing machine. LOVE IT. Can fit the doona in there. The agitator (sp?) bit in our last top loader used to eat our stuff!. The only downside to front loader... you cant open the door and add something in after you've started!!!
Aaron & Erin
We have a front loader LG Inverter 7.5kg washing machine. LOVE IT. Can fit the doona in there. The agitator (sp?) bit in our last top loader used to eat our stuff!. The only downside to front loader... you cant open the door and add something in after you've started!!!

I have an Electrolux front loader and I can pause it and add things mid wash.

Front loaders are generally a better wash (subjective) and generally more water efficient than top loaders. But on the negative more expensive.
Thanks guys! E, your quick response was good enough for me - we brought a Moon 7.5kg Front Loader. 50% off at the moment. So came down to a little under $500. It'll do for the moment, and we'll upgrade to a slightly larger one when we're in the new house!

I'll take photos on Tuesday when it arrives.

We did however get a beautiful Westinghouse 610lt (side by side), in pretty pewter
I'm in love!!! That beauty is coming with us!!
*frosty*
Thanks guys! E, your quick response was good enough for me - we brought a Moon 7.5kg Front Loader. 50% off at the moment. So came down to a little under $500. It'll do for the moment, and we'll upgrade to a slightly larger one when we're in the new house!

I'll take photos on Tuesday when it arrives.

We did however get a beautiful Westinghouse 610lt (side by side), in pretty pewter
I'm in love!!! That beauty is coming with us!!

oooh! Cant wait for pics, your fridge sounds just dreamy!!!
50% is fantastic! You'll love the front loader

Huggy_B

Doesn't water gush out???
Huggy_B

Aaron & Erin
Doesn't water gush out???

Only lets you pause early in the cycle, once it fills it won't let you for the reason you pointed out.
Seeing as frosty's original question has been answered, I don't feel guilty about hijacking the thread

My wife has the idea that we should get a combined washing machine/dryer unit for our new house. Laundry space is at a premium (see houseplans in thread linked in my sig). Nice idea, saves space, but for a couple of grand ...

Does anyone want to either convince me to agree with her? Or warn me against it?

Bear in mind we are a family of 4, eventually will be 5, and also are using cloth nappies (kids are 2 1/2, and 10 months)...
Chuq
My wife has the idea that we should get a combined washing machine/dryer unit for our new house. Laundry space is at a premium (see houseplans in thread linked in my sig). Nice idea, saves space, but for a couple of grand ...

Does anyone want to either convince me to agree with her? Or warn me against it?

Bear in mind we are a family of 4, eventually will be 5, and also are using cloth nappies (kids are 2 1/2, and 10 months)...

The space-saving sounds like a great idea, but my problem with those is that it would take FOREVER to do a load, if you have to wait for it to wash and dry. We're a family of five, and I have both washer and dryer running often in winter. You can be drying one load while you wash the next.... Ours have been going non-stop all weekend for the past few months. Which probably explains the $500 electricity bill.

If you only use the dryer once in a while, it's probably not a big deal. Mind you, when people say they hardly use their dryer, it always make me wonder why they bothered buying one.
Chuq
Or warn me against it?

I will warn you against it, we have one and while it does clean - it takes around 4.5hrs to go thru a cycle. Front loaders are generally slower - but we found ours to be over the top. Our next one will be a top loader for sure
Lunchtime
Chuq wrote:
Or warn me against it?

I'll second it, we got one as it was the difference between buying just a washer or getting a dryer thrown in, and at the time we lived in the tiniest apartment, so it was meant to be handy..

The washer component is fab, wouldn't trade it, but the dryer is crapola.. the clothes are continusously crumpled up, it can't run without a wash (eg if you forget to press the dry button, you have to run through at minimum a rinse cycle to get a dry out of it) and you can't just use it to fluff up your towels. And it does take forever...

The only thing it is good for is that you don't have to remember to change machines, eg take clothes out of the washer to put into the dryer, it just does it all in one hit. But it also ties up your machine for that long too...

Ours is an LG, and its about 3 1/2 years old.
We have a LG washer/dryer combo and while it is a good space saver, if you want to use the dryer often at all I wouldn't get it. We can do a dry only cycle without the spin as mentioned above but it is so slow- 3.5 hours for a load and even then its generally not dry. It also has a safety function that doesn't let you open the door for about 5 minutes after the dryer turns off. The thing that annoys me most is you can't just throw a couple towels/PJs to warm up a bit

When we finally get our new house I'll be getting an extra dryer, but there's nothing wrong with the washer.
I was talked out of the washer/dryer combo by the sales guy. I don't think he got paid by commission. The reasons already given were some of his comments but the other was that it might be a 7kg washer but a 5kg dryer. Which means either smaller wash loads or remove things before the dryer starts. He also noted that repairs were exxy and if the dryer is broken it might mean the entire thing needs replacing.
I love our front loader. Bosch, yes it's a long wash cycle but there is a 15 minute cycle too, great for those couple of items you need in a rush. The maximum cycle is 2.5 hours. Wall mouning a dryer is going to make more efficient use of space of course too. Front loaders are more gentle on your clothes too, so they will last far longer and you can get a great spin out of them 1200rpm so much is almost dry when it comes out.
I'm afraid I'm another "warn against". A friend I stayed with in England had one and it was certainly crapola. As all previous posters have said the dryer part just isn't that good & takes forever.
If I were you I'd buy just a FL washer. Hope that helps
I have a top of the range expensive Maytag Front loader and personally think it's crap but we have bench space over it so that's the good point. I find front loaders don't use as much water and totally crush all your clothes - I almost need to iron undies! When I lived in London houses all had combined washer dryer and were forever breaking down with clothes locked inside. I'd recommend putting a separate dryer in your garage wall if short of space.
A front loader and a dryer stacked dont take up anymore room than just the one really, other than possibly some cupboard space.

But the good thing with sperate units is you can always dry one load while washing a second. Otherwise as mentioned, its a veeeeeeeeeery long cycle start to finish with a combined unit.
Huggy_B
A front loader and a dryer stacked dont take up anymore room than just the one really, other than possibly some cupboard space.

But the good thing with sperate units is you can always dry one load while washing a second. Otherwise as mentioned, its a veeeeeeeeeery long cycle start to finish with a combined unit.

This is what we have. We have a miele washer and dryer stacked on top. It even has a little pull out "bench" thing in between. I lurrrrve my front loader. Getting that after a top loader, my clothes felt soooo much cleaner. Mine has an express cycle which is 30 minutes and some of the other cycles give you an option to go shorter (although, that can still be 50mins or so). The longer cycles don't bother me as I am constantly doing washing anyway with a family of 5, so it gives more time to make room on the line or for the dryer.

Those two in one machines scare me. I'm sure they are safe, but the idea of them still seems strange to me
Rizzo
Huggy_B

This is what we have. We have a miele washer and dryer stacked on top. It even has a little pull out "bench" thing in between. I lurrrrve my front loader. Getting that after a top loader, my clothes felt soooo much cleaner. Mine has an express cycle which is 30 minutes and some of the other cycles give you an option to go shorter (although, that can still be 50mins or so). The longer cycles don't bother me as I am constantly doing washing anyway with a family of 5, so it gives more time to make room on the line or for the dryer.

Those two in one machines scare me. I'm sure they are safe, but the idea of them still seems strange to me

My system is perfect - I set my washer on a cold water eco cycle which takes ~ 2 hours which coincides perfectly with my 2hr drying cycle so they finish together! But same as you if I am in a hurry I can do the wash in 30 minutes.
I have an electrolux front load and I despise it more than anything on the planet. The wash is horrible and it doesn't matter what setting you have it on, what washing powder or fabric softner you use or how much. It is just a piece of ****. Everyone talked me into a front load and I've been completely put off- although everyone raves about their different brand ones so.... I still wish i'd gone back to a top load.

Having said that, Chuq- def go for the washer with seperate dryer. You can also get rubber mats that go between the washer and dryer if you want to stack them. At least then as other people have said you can use your washer and dryer at the same time. If you're willing to spend a bit more you can get a condenser dryer so that it will eliminate the moisture from the room that a normal dryer gives off.
Have had a Fisher & Paykel top loader for years. Great for big family as it washes fast. On holidays we had to use a front loader and could not believe how long the wash cycle took. May use less water but It will take you forever to wash 6 loads of washing.
Top Loader all the way.

Front loaders take far too long. That's enough for me never to get one.
Related
6/05/2024
spacing between trench mesh and top of footing

Paving & Concreting

Hi, I'm in the process of making a footing with two pieces of trench mesh (4L12TM ) at the top and bottom. I'm wondering if anyone knows how far beneath the top of the…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

26/03/2024
Help! Why are my hybrid floors coming loose?

General Discussion

A Sabco spin mop, minimal moisture, not very regularly. I was told these hybrids are water resistant 🤷‍♀️

You are here
Building ForumLaundry Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum