Join Login
Building ForumLaundry

Laundry Benchtop 1050mm height too high?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I building a house with a small laundry 2080mm wide.

To maximise bench space, I want to have a benchtop the width of the whole wall- 2080mm wide.

Therefore I will need a front loader. I've been looking at front loaders and the 10kg one I'm looking at is 985mm high.

To ensure there is sufficient clearance (accounting for the bench top itself) and airflow of a few cms at the top, I will need to make the bench height 1050mm.

Is this much too high? Or should I start looking for a smaller machine and lower bench height?
We've just purchased a 10kg washer for our new home and it fits under our 900mm high benchtop.
It is a snug fit because we have a shadow line underneath so that lowered the height slightly.
Which brand machine are you looking at that's 985mm high?
For me, a 1050mm high bench is too high, unless this is your forever home and your tall?
It's the Whirlpool 10kg front loader.

Looks like a massive machine.

I may make it 1020mm including a 20mm stone benchtop but that's pushing it.

I just wanted to know if anybody else had a 1000mm+ bench top height.

Unfortunately we are not tall, opposite in fact!

I'm 183cm tall , and I like tables at exactly 100cm. Yesterday (for another reason) I tried putting a couple of planks on that table to get to 105, and that was way too high for me. At least for the intended purpose of using a knife at that height. Folding clothes would be slightly more forgiving, but I'd still say it's a tad on the high side. If you have an ironing board you can set at that height, do try it beforehand. To me those last five centimeters would make for a world of hurt (to me, at my height).
100cm underbench + 20mm bench it is.

I purchased the machine today.

How about leaving the benchtop at the regular height, but make a section for the washing machine, where you can put the front loader on a base say 300mm high, then have a benchtop above the front loader, so it's house in/under the bench.

Whilst that part of the bench is indeed much higher than the rest of your bench, most of the benchtop is at the right height. The new top can be used to sit a tumble dryer on, or just the washing basket, leaving the rest of the bench for ironing/folding of the clothes.

The side benefit is that the front loader is at a much easier height to fill and empty the clothes.
I ended up having the bench at a regular height as recommended by my cabinet maker.

He didn't believe me when I said my machine was 985mm high until he saw my machine in person.

We just use the top of the machine as a bench anyway for laundry baskets etc.

Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

7/07/2023
blocked drain in laundry

General Discussion

Agreed. I just found out today the certifier has not given the final sign off.

You are here
Building ForumLaundry
Home
Pros
Forum