Join Login
Building ForumLaundry

Drying cupboard

Page 1 of 1
I am in the fortunate position to be able to turn a walk in linen closet (in laundry) into a drying cupboard. I was thinking of just using an electric oil heater in there or possibly a ducted heating duct. Are there any other alternatives, and also, do I need to do something to compensate for the moisture (eg. Exhaust fan)? Thanks.
PS. Any suggestions for configuration? Plan posted below... It's approx 1.5 x 1.5.
Ok, never mind, I found info in another thread. Should have looked further before shooting my mouth off. Suggestions still welcome though.
I'd be running a heating duct in there and then adding some ventilation - a louvred door would probably be perfect.

We have a heating duct in the laundry and I just park the clothes airer under it, plus hang shirts on hangers from one of those over-the-door ironing thingies, like this one:

When I have heaps of clothes to dry, I hang a few extra t-shirts etc on hangers from the overhead cupboard handles. It's not pretty, but it works a treat. My "neat gene" would love a dedicated walk-in drying cupboard.

I'd love to see what you come up with.
Hey, thanks for replying Kek. Yep, gone with a ducted heating outlet and also added a ceiling fan. That's a very good suggestion of a louvered door, I will investigate whether M'con will do that or if it's something we should do after handover.

Cheers,

MP.
Hi MissyP,
Sounds like you have your drying cupboard sorted. I have just dropped in to ask if you have a build thread. I know you have dropped in on mine and I'd love to drop in on your build but don't think I have come across your thread. Where are you at with it??
Hi RS (I probably shouldn't call you that!), no building thread I'm afraid... Don't think I could maintain it well enough. Besides, the story is loooong, boring, and a bit embarrassing :/ . We are 18 months along the road and after a big false start, signed a prelim contract with M'con over the weekend. We need town planning approval, unfortunately, so nothing will happen until 2013. Who would want to read a thread with nothing in it?! I do, however, very much appreciate you asking. XO
Is this the thread you were talking about MissyP ?
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=47896

Here's what we are intending to do with our build for a drying cupboard.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/stewiesno1/DryingCupboardLChute1.png
Basically 40 x 20mm timber slats for the shelves inside a two door cupboard that has the gas HWC inside to provide the heat.
Never mind the glass doors on this and the laundry chute - they're just on there so you can see the cupboards behind a bit clearer.

Stewie
Google sketch up Stewie?

What have you done about ventilation? All that moisture has to go somewhere.
Quote:
Google sketch up Stewie ?

No , I use a CAD program - Vectorworks to do all my plans - 2D and 3D.

Quote:
What have you done about ventilation? All that moisture has to go somewhere.

Behind the flue ducted to the outside for the gas HWC will be another duct with an extractor fan to pull air out from the drying cupboard and the wall mounted dryer.
All hidden behind a bulkhead and possibly more wall cupboards to the right of the dryer.
The doors for the drying cupboard will probably be solid core with a decent size vent on as well.

My definition of a drying cupboard ( this is what they were when I was a kid anyway ) is also one that removes the last bit of dampness from clothes and not one designed to dry out wringing wet clothes straight from the washing machine.
I think you would definitely end up with a mould problem in Winter if you were intending your cupboard to be a defacto clothes line unless you installed a decent hot air vent in there.
In saying that though we'll probably also have another wall mounted fan above the outside door just in case it gets a bit steamy in there.

Stewie
Bump. MissyP, I'm looking at designing a drying cupboard as well. Can I ask how you have found yours? I'm thinking vents and a ceiling extractor fan as well. Any mould? Does it dry a load of washing straight from the machine? Cheers.
Related
26/06/2023
Restoration of old cupboard

General Discussion

Hi I bought an old cupboard that is in desperate need of some TLC. I was seeking some advice as to the best product to use to give it an oil but also bring it to life a…

3/10/2023
Laundry floor has recess under cupboard

Laundry

Waterproofing wet areas, including laundries is a requirement now. I don't know if it was 12 years (for a laundry) but I can't see why it would t have been. Have you got…

26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

You are here
Building ForumLaundry
Home
Pros
Forum