Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Appliances

French door fridge recommendations?

Page 1 of 1
Starting to look for a new French door fridge / freezer with plumbed in water dispenser and ice maker.

Have read a lot of reviews and quite surprised the number of issues with Westinghouse, Fisher and Paykel, Samsung and LG.

Has anyone had a good experience purchasing their French door fridge and can recommend a reliable brand?
We have a F&P, but only with ice and no water dispenser. Have been happy with it over the first 18 months of ownership.
I suggest choosing a model that has doors for the freezer rather than a drawer.
We have an LG french door fridge with a drawer freezer. A few times now the kids have left it slightly ajar, resulting in the whole drawer and runners getting covered with frost. Once the runners freeze over it's a huge job to defrost the whole thing and get the doors to shut.

Interesting you recommend the Freezer doors because we looked at an LG fridge on the weekend and liked the 2 doors to the freezer, providing really good visibility into the freezer compartment.

Then I read reviews on this particular fridge and discovered the cost of the water filter is around $75 and needs replacing every 6 months, and another common complaint is that the doors don’t always line up and technicians are called out to adjust, but still have problems lining up the doors.

It completely put me off buying that model because I know how irritating that would be to see the doors of the fridge and the freezer all misaligned.
I was looking at an LG french door fridge (insta view model) research done found that there was major issues with the seals, and the only reason I was looking at it was I thought it had a great layout the instaview is a total gimmock IMO!

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/lg-708l-instaview-refrigerator-gf-v708bsl

Looking in store we found that we liked the appearance of the electrolux the best, that's currently what we have our sights set on but no doubt I'm sure it has bad reviews also (haven't checked yet!)

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/electrolux-681l-french-door-refrigerator-ehe6899ba
The Electrolux is one of the models I have been looking at, read a couple of negative reviews but they are outweighed by the rest.
Make sure you check the depth of the fridge as well. A lot of newer fridges are very deep so they protrude in front of your kitchen cupboards. Fisher and Paykel are one brand that makes their fridges shallower so they don't protrude in front of standard 600mm deep cabinetry. Whereas some Samsung fridges can stick out as far as 30cm.

Thanks for the tip, that’s very helpful.
We have the mitsubishi L7 Grande and it's been fantastic. It's big but we liked how the freezers are at the bottom. It's has soft starter on the compressor so is very quiet. I originally wanted ice and water dispenser but when you start reading some of the reviews it scared me off, especially with the Samsung's. The reviews on the mitsubishi are all really good and we went disappointed. We have had it over 2 years and it is good.

Related
23/03/2024
Fridge Freezer not working after trying to run on Generator

Kitchen Appliances

I had a similar issue with my fridge not too long ago. It wasn't the same model, but the symptoms were pretty much the same: the compressor would start and then stop…

26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

13/06/2023
Sound Proof Modular Fence recommendations

Outdoor Living

Hi We have a road close to our place and only an old flimsy wooden fence between us and the Neighbour closest to the road. Any ideas on a sound proof modular fence. Like…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum