Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Appliances

Kitchen Appliances: Brands and Recommendations

Page 1 of 2
Hey Guys

So we are building a small townhouse and getting the following appliances in the kitchen.. needed recommendations

1)

INCLUDEDTHINKING
CooktopSmeg 900mm CIR597XBosch PPS9A6B90A / PCR915B91A
OvenSmeg 600mm DOSPA6395X (double)Bosch (single)
RangehoodSmeg 900mm PUM901XSirius SL906-L 850 / L EXCEL 850 / Bosch DHL895CAU / Schweigen
DishwasherSmeg 600mm DWAU6314XBosch SMS88TI01A / SMS88TI04A

What do you guys think?

2) Oven - Don't know if we should go for double oven or go single.. we don't use it everyday atm.. small family of 3..

3) Kitchen Sink - Recommendation? Should we go granite or stainless steel?

4) Kitchen Mixer - please recommend brand?

5) Splashback - Thinking upgrade from tile to glass? any particular type or color ?

Would like to keep our budget mid range if possible..

More queries coming up!!!
its
What do you guys think?

With appliances, I would personally go Bosch over Smeg every time.

The oven is not about everyday use, but about what you need when you stretch it, such as for dinner parties. Personally, I have very rarely needed a double or wide oven, but it depends on what you like to cook. What I would recommend is that you absolutely stretch the budget to buy a pyrolytic oven. The self cleaning system actually works and will save you tons of time in the long run.

Stainless steel is a proven performer for a sink and at a good price - that is why most sinks are stainless steel. Other materials work, but generally cost more and have downsides, such as chipping and staining.

You can pay as little or as much as you like on a mixer. Brands like Dorf, are pretty reliable and will last a reasonable time and have a long warranty to back that. The alternative is to buy cheap ones and replace them often.

Glass splashbacks are easy to clean, but are expensive. You don’t really get a choice on type because the type of glass used is regulated. However, the back of the glass is just painted, so you can pick any colour you like and should match your decor.
arcadelt
its
What do you guys think?

With appliances, I would personally go Bosch over Smeg every time.

The oven is not about everyday use, but about what you need when you stretch it, such as for dinner parties. Personally, I have very rarely needed a double or wide oven, but it depends on what you like to cook. What I would recommend is that you absolutely stretch the budget to buy a pyrolytic oven. The self cleaning system actually works and will save you tons of time in the long run.

Stainless steel is a proven performer for a sink and at a good price - that is why most sinks are stainless steel. Other materials work, but generally cost more and have downsides, such as chipping and staining.

You can pay as little or as much as you like on a mixer. Brands like Dorf, are pretty reliable and will last a reasonable time and have a long warranty to back that. The alternative is to buy cheap ones and replace them often.

Glass splashbacks are easy to clean, but are expensive. You don’t really get a choice on type because the type of glass used is regulated. However, the back of the glass is just painted, so you can pick any colour you like and should match your decor.

Thanks

Yes will get pyrolytic oven.. was thinking something like Bosch HBG672BS1A

Will go stainless steel .. thanks.. any brand recommendations?

Will look at Dorf.. thanks..

What's better.. glass splashback or tile? or something else?
Noob question. If you are buying appliances on your own and your builder builds the kitchen, cabinets etc, how do you ensure they all fit properly.
its

None really, but just ensure the gauge number is lower rather than higher. 16 or 18 is fine, but 22 would be too thin and thus dent.

its

Without doubt, glass...but it costs more. You could also use engineered or natural stone, but natural stone, just like when it is use on a bench top, periodically needs to be sealed.
MiG
Noob question. If you are buying appliances on your own and your builder builds the kitchen, cabinets etc, how do you ensure they all fit properly.

My builder is very helpful (not major player).. either he will quote me the price difference... and upgrade.. still need to work it out with him
MiG

They come with installation manuals that you give the builder. Most appliances have standard widths of 450, 600 or 900mm, although there are others. Heights can be standard too, but vary for large or tall appliances. Your builder should tell you what space is available. For example, you would not be able to install a 900mm wide oven if only 700mm of space exists, or you couldn’t install an extra tall dishwasher if you have requested lower bench top height.
arcadelt
its

None really, but just ensure the gauge number is lower rather than higher. 16 or 18 is fine, but 22 would be too thin and thus dent.

its

Without doubt, glass...but it costs more. You could also use engineered or natural stone, but natural stone, just like when it is use on a bench top, periodically needs to be sealed.

Thanks.. Gauge Number? is that like "18/10 Stainless utility tray"?? Also thinking to go top mounted sink to get that extra drainer and go double bowl?

Will check out glass splashback cost.. thanks
No, gauge number is a measure of thickness. 18/10 is a type of stainless steel.
Thanks

So eg: https://oliveri.com.au/au/sinks/nu-peti ... th-drainer

0.8mm thick <-- is that it ? and thus too thin??
its
0.8mm thick <-- is that it ? and thus too thin??

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/5-tips-shopping-stainless-steel-sink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_metal
Lol still haven't understood as to what to compare for gauge from the oliveri link

In terms of appliances, we have now been shown Siemens cooktop and oven over the bosch ones.. getting expensive but are they actually better and worth it? Rangehood being told Qasair Lismore and Diswasher to go fully integrated Miele and if can't afford Bosch but fully integrated..

thoughts?
Siemens is owned by Bosch, as are Thermador, Gaggenau and Neff. Siemens sits higher than Bosch appliances, but in many cases there is little discernible difference despite the significant price margin.

What kind of cooktop are you getting?
We were looking into Bosch PPS9A6B90A but then were also shown Siemens ER9A6SD70A..

Liked Quasair Lismore as well as it sounded quieter buy much more exp.. Miele Dishwasher also looked good..
its
We were looking into Bosch PPS9A6B90A but then were also shown Siemens ER9A6SD70A..

You'll find the internals of those two will be the same, although the Siemens might have higher rated burners. They often do this, and just change the trivets to make them look different.

its
Liked Quasair Lismore as well as it sounded quieter buy much more exp.. Miele Dishwasher also looked good..

Qasair rangehoods are very good. Miele dishwashers are good too, but very expensive when compared to comparable models from Bosch and Asko. Miele also have a "no discount" policy, except for set sales reductions once or twice a year.
arcadelt
its

You'll find the internals of those two will be the same, although the Siemens might have higher rated burners. They often do this, and just change the trivets to make them look different.

its

Qasair rangehoods are very good. Miele dishwashers are good too, but very expensive when compared to comparable models from Bosch and Asko. Miele also have a "no discount" policy, except for set sales reductions once or twice a year.

Thanks for the insight..

So can still go for Bosch for dishwasher and cooktop and save money? and use that on Qasair instead of Sirius / Bosch?
its
So can still go for Bosch for dishwasher and cooktop and save money? and use that on Qasair instead of Sirius / Bosch?

Of course you can - mix and match however you see fit. By the way, I found these two photos which show just how similar those two cooktops are.

Yes I know.. they look extremely similar.. although I do like the wok burner look of Siemens but the price difference is about $1200 (based on face price - not negotiated)..

So it has come down to as of now

Cooktop : Bosch PPS9A6B90A / Siemens ER9A6SD70A
Rangehood : Sirius SL906 EML 850 / Qasair LIS900L2B
Oven: Bosch HRG6767S2A / Siemens HM676G0S1A
Dishwasher : Bosch SMV88TX01/2A

I think the face value difference between the two config is like $2600 - Main price hit are the cooktop and rangehood

Ofcourse negotiations could bring price down for both types.. But need to figure out which ones to go for..
Good choices. Haven’t check the specs on your oven, but if it’s not pyrolytic, I would definitely pay extra for that...it’s worth it.
arcadelt
Good choices. Haven’t check the specs on your oven, but if it’s not pyrolytic, I would definitely pay extra for that...it’s worth it.

Both are
must have in our list

difficult decisions
Related
25/07/2023
Tapware brands

General Discussion

Thank you fro your response, Simeon. It is good to hear that you have had a positive experience with Parisi. I am always on the lookout for reliable products, and personal…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

3/12/2023
Recommendations for quick and cheap updates for the exterior

Renovation + Home Improvement

1. Roof cleaning and paint - which colour do you recommend? I often see black/ dark grey in use these days but I would prefer…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum