Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Appliances

oven cabinet

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

We have bought a new oven and it is shorter than the old one. We couldn't find the same height in the market. Below is the picture that shows how it looks now. I'd like to lift it up and cover the bottom with a panel. Questions:
1- what material should I use to use as a base and lift the oven up? There is an opening in the middle of the cabinet floor for the cabling. should I make a pedestal with pieces of timber?
2- how do I get a 600mmx120mmx18mm panel with white vinyl coating for the bottom?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You need a false floor or 2 pieces of material that run front to back on either side.
Some ovens require a vent in the bottom hence the hole in the floor of the existing oven.
You can just use melamine particle board for the base.

With regards the trim panel. It will be either vinyl wrapped or 2 pack painted so getting the same colour can be a bit of a challenge.
If you know what the finish is you could get one made or cut and sprayed.
Not many cabinet makers will be interested in supplying one small panel.
thanks chippy, very helpful. About the false floor, is it again something I should get a cabinet maker to build it for me and you reckon they won't be interested to do a small job?
The false floor doesn't need to be anything flash as you never see it.
Depending on your skills and some basic power tools you can pretty easily make the false floor.
If you go to Bunnings and buy a bit of melamine shelving in the 595mm width and then cut it 600mm wide so you have a square it will fit in the space. Just put the edged side to the front.
Then you need a couple of strips that will hold the floor at the appropriate height. Probably 120-32mm (floor and base)so 88mm.
You may need to cut a hole in the base for ventilation, but again a rough 150x150 hole in the middle of the base is enough.
Great. I am sure I can do this. Thanks.
The doors are vinyl wrap so it will be hard to get the one small panel as they typically have a minimum order.
If it's plain white you can probably get a local small cabinet maker to cut you some 18mm white melamine and edge it to size.
It may not match perfectly but it will be cost effective and it's down low so shouldn't stand out.
Otherwise you just pay the minimum order fee and get the matching panel.
good idea. I was thinking along the same line. it is indeed down low and I am not worried.
ikea or bunnings may have a panel with a similar finish you could cut down or a drawer front the same size. Take a door off and take it with you to match with the display.

Here is a photo of the result. Not too bad fir 36 bucks for two melamine shelves.
Thanks for the advices.
Well done.
You saved yourself some money by DIY
Related
30/12/2023
Identification of Oven Make and Model

Kitchen Appliances

Hi Chippy, no there isn't, gave it a really good look through and literally opened everything and checked all edges as well. Hence the question, just hoping someone would…

25/03/2024
900MM Cooktop over a 600MM built in oven

Building A New House

My daughter and son in law are about to start building, they are having a 600mm induction cook top and 900mm oven. It's personal preferance >

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum