Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Appliances

Gas cooktop to induction

Page 1 of 1
I just realised yesterday that the lady in the selections have mistakenly written the ‘gas cooktop’ instead of the electric cooktop in the selections. Gas cooktop has never been an option for me so I know it wasnt my error. I even checked the selection book and it shows I ticked the electrical cooktop.

Anyway, it’s too late for us to change the selection since our house is nearly on completion.

Now, we asked the builder to leave the cooktop and oven uninstalled so we can buy an induction cooktop instead.

Now my question is since our kitchen was originally set up for a gas cooktop, will it be complicated to install the induction? Will it require a major change to be done by sparky?
sociangal
I just realised yesterday that the lady in the selections have mistakenly written the ‘gas cooktop’ instead of the electric cooktop in the selections. Gas cooktop has never been an option for me so I know it wasnt my error. I even checked the selection book and it shows I ticked the electrical cooktop.

Anyway, it’s too late for us to change the selection since our house is nearly on completion.

Now, we asked the builder to leave the cooktop and oven uninstalled so we can buy an induction cooktop instead.

Now my question is since our kitchen was originally set up for a gas cooktop, will it be complicated to install the induction? Will it require a major change to be done by sparky?

You will need to run a new circuit from your board to the cooktop. Induction cooktops draw an enormous amount of current so the cables are extra large. You will also need an isolation switch somewhere near the cooktop.
There's a bit of work to get it retro fitted.
Plus you will need to make sure your new induction top will fit the existing cut out. If it's bigger you can get the hole made bigger but you obviously don't want the new top to be smaller.
[quote="chippy":1tbut30x][quote="sociangal":1tbut30x]I just realised yesterday that the lady in the selections have mistakenly written the ‘gas cooktop’ instead of the electric cooktop in the selections. Gas cooktop has never been an option for me so I know it wasnt my error. I even checked the selection book and it shows I ticked the electrical cooktop.

Now my question is since our kitchen was originally set up for a gas cooktop, will it be complicated to install the induction? Will it require a major change to be done by sparky?[/quote:1tbut30x]
You will need to run a new circuit from your board to the cooktop. Induction cooktops draw an enormous amount of current so the cables are extra large. You will also need an isolation switch somewhere near the cooktop.
There's a bit of work to get it retro fitted.
Plus you will need to make sure your new induction top will fit the existing cut out. If it's bigger you can get the hole made bigger but you obviously don't want the new top to be smaller.[/quote:1tbut30x]

Do you have an idea of how long the work would be? Will it require removing the wall for the new circuit? Do you have an estimate for the cost? I think fitting would not be a problem because the ones I will buy will have the same dimension as the ovens and cooktop that I have previously selected.

Sorry for the many questions but I am so clueless about these things
There are many variables that will affect the price.
What is the structure type, brick or frame, single or double storey? How far from your switchboard to the kitchen? Can the sparky get the new cable down to the cooktop without having to open up walls?
It's not a simple task. It's easy during construction but as a retro fit it can be costly undertaking.
Not all appliances have the same cut out size, not all 600 cooktops fit in the same hole. You will need to be careful when choosing what new induction top you get.
The other thing is what other electrically hungry items do you have in the house (AC, HWS, ovens, etc). Some induction cooktops draw so much current you almost have to have three phase power so you don't overload the circuit.
chippy
There are many variables that will affect the price.
What is the structure type, brick or frame, single or double storey? How far from your switchboard to the kitchen? Can the sparky get the new cable down to the cooktop without having to open up walls?
It's not a simple task. It's easy during construction but as a retro fit it can be costly undertaking.
Not all appliances have the same cut out size, not all 600 cooktops fit in the same hole. You will need to be careful when choosing what new induction top you get.
The other thing is what other electrically hungry items do you have in the house (AC, HWS, ovens, etc). Some induction cooktops draw so much current you almost have to have three phase power so you don't overload the circuit.

I understand now. Thank you for the info. I wish ours would not be too complicated. I guess we have to prepare ourselves for a massive bill. Still better pay now than regret later. If only I did more research and paid more attention to the paperworks, I wouldnt have this kind of hassle.
Related
25/03/2024
900MM Cooktop over a 600MM built in oven

Building A New House

My daughter and son in law are about to start building, they are having a 600mm induction cook top and 900mm oven. It's personal preferance >

6/09/2023
building a deck and gas hot water

General Discussion

I want to build a decking to the drawn shape outlined in black. The problem is how close can I build to the gas hot water unit? Will I be able to build around it and be…

20/12/2023
Nitrogen gas left in the compressor, is it normal practice

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

you need a fridgie to answer but I would think you vac the whole system then add gas if you have a leak, unless it is new install with the gas already loaded, in that case…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum