Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Appliances

Dishwasher Recommendations?

Page 3 of 4
We don't rinse dishes - just scrape them off and put them straight in. Sometimes dishes sit in there for 3 days before washing and always come out clean (I have an AEG dishwasher, use Finish powder and white vinegar for rinseaid)
Mek - We have a single Dishdrawer installed directly underneath our sink and we love it.

All dishes should be at least scraped and if possible lightly rinsed before being put into a dishwasher.

If you don't at least partially clean your dishes before putting them in the machine then you are asking for trouble.

Anyone who has worked in hospitality will tell you that even when using a big Hobart industrial washer the plates get scraped and rinsed (with a high pressure spray) before going in the machine.
This is why dish pigs have jobs.

I can tell you from experience that the same big machines need to be thoroughly cleaned out at the end of every day - and the grease one pulls out of the various crevasses is AMAZING.

If you look closely at the filter/water intake inside a domestic machine it doesn't take a genius to work out how little it would need to block one of these up.
The instructions in any machine are also very clear on this point.
The filters must be regularly inspected and cleaned and it is recommended that dishes be lightly cleaned before going into the dishwasher.

Cheers,

Earl
Yeah agreed Mek - I always scrap and lightly rinse under the tap before putting them in as well! I just can't put them in covered in stuff sitting in there the whole day!!

However there is the extreme...my aunty who is more if a clean freak than me actually fills up the sink with hot water and detergent gives them a clean and then puts them in the dishwasher
We just laugh at her
I always rinse my stuff off the plates, especially rice because rice is small enough to travel into the rotating spray arms and block the spray holes.
Strumer - we use our dishwasher daily - plates, pots, roasting dishes all go in there. Once a week I clean out the filter - just brush off any food scraps into the bin and rinse in a bit of soapy water.

That's all the maintenance I do - never rinse off dishes - and my AEG has been going strong for 5 yrs - never had dishes that don't come out clean or a problem with the dishwasher.

However - I do use about 1/2 as much powder as is recommended and vinegar for rinse aid (which may help keep things clean)
rellie
Perth-1st Timer
I was keen on the F&P Dish Drawers until I saw this site:

http://www.productreview.com.au/showite ... em_id=1155

We had a Dishdrawer in our old house and loved it !! It was 8 years old when we moved and still going strong. Only ever had F&P out once to fix it. It was out of warranty but as it was only out by a couple of months they didn't charge anything ! We have found F&P's after sales service fantastic.

I have to agree
I only have a one drawer at the moment. But its been stable as all hell. So much so, that we hadnt even thought of choosing another type of dishwasher. Been very happy indeed (up until date).
This question has been asked and ignored so i shall ask again...

TECHNIKA ANYONE!!??

Not sure of the model but ours is technica, seems fine, no issues so far, not too noisy. Came with the house so not sure of prices.
I've done a bit of research on the brand and it is pretty average in energy consumption (2 star)

Depending on the model there's different levels of water rating - from 4* to 1.5*

http://search.waterrating.com.au/dwashe ... &B1=SEARCH

They haven't ever been reviewed by Choice mag either.
We got a Technika thrown in for a freebie on our house and i must say I'm not very impressed with it.

It also doesn't fit our plates in it (they are the square typre tho) and it doesn't seem to dry anything very well.

The door is very heavy which means when I'm trying to leave it half open to dry the dishes there is no chance.

I'm not sure the model but we moved in two months ago....
Westinghouse, F&P and most of thoses brans that are made in china all the working parts come out of the same 2 factories, the only difference is what they look like from the front so paying $800 or $1400 doesn't get you anything better.

Anything that comes out of europe is going to give ou 5-7 years more than one out of china and they have longer warrenties generally.

We have a Bosch at the moment but want a new one for the new house so we are looking at Miele (can't go pat Miele anything)
Hmm fair enough. I suppose if the Technika isn't that great we wouldn't complain because:

a) its free

b) we have never had a dishwasher before (since leaving home!)

They are easy enough to replace in the same hole aren't they?
Catty
They are easy enough to replace in the same hole aren't they?

Yep - and a good performing one (according to Choice Mag) can be as little as $1k RRP (one of the LG models)
Just letting any who is building with Henley know that their dishwashers are hopeless. We have been in 5 weeks and planning on replacing with either a miele or asko asap
We have a Tecknika in our Retal at the moment and it hasn't miised a beat in over 2 years. We scrape plates, never rinse (due to a waste of water). I think it also depends on your dishwahing detergent we use morning fresh, tried other brands and found this to be consistent. Our new home will have a Tecknika as well and we could not be happier
Thanks Adamtram for the info re: Technika dishwasher.

We are also going to have that brand, as it is the one used by our builder. We thought of upgrading to Smeg because we were worried that it might not perform well (no feedback ever heard about it). It's good to hear that you had no issues with the dishwasher.
We have a Bosch dishwasher in our rental and haven't had any dramas with it - though it very rarely gets used (maybe twice a month...) and I always do a quick rinse before loading it; re performance its ok, nothing special thats for sure, oh and everynow and then it gets a bit smelly and I have to give it a good scrub!!

One of the builders we are looking at offer a westinghouse SB907J as part of a free upgrade- if anyone knows anything about it, would appreciate it!! Is there a similar topic on ovens/cooktops??
We had (bought new) a Vulcan Dishlex a few years ago and I was not impressed at all with how NOT quiet it was... If I had a full dishwasher I wouldn't turn it on until after I'd finished watching the evening movie (in the room next to the kitchen) so I wouldn't have to listen to it.

Now we have a Blanco and I love it! It would be lucky to make about a quarter of the noise of the old Dishlex. Unless you are in the kitchen and there's not much other noise going on you can't tell the thing is on!

Does a good enough job on the dishes too...

P.S. There is a model of this Blanco one that is hidden as well. It has a facade like a normal cupboard and all of the controls are in the inside top edge.
anyone had any experiance with westinghouse?

Given that I dont have thousands to spend on a dishwasher, i only have $1000, what brand should I be looking at?

cheers
was also just thinking that dishwashers are a pain in the a$$ to buy.

When u buy a tv or stereo, you go , you look, you touch, you turn it on, you watch, you listen.

You buy dishwasher and you havent heard it running, you havent seen how well it works, you havent put it through its paces, you havent played with it. Basically not a very satisfying way for me to buy a product.

Maybe need to do a chasers style, rock up with dirty setting and put machine through its paces!!
Related
31/01/2024
Bosch dishwasher

General Discussion

I am installing a new Bosch SMU4HTS01A built under dushwasher. I have 2 questions. What is the function of the metal strip about 500mm long x 60mm wide the tell you to…

13/06/2023
Sound Proof Modular Fence recommendations

Outdoor Living

Hi We have a road close to our place and only an old flimsy wooden fence between us and the Neighbour closest to the road. Any ideas on a sound proof modular fence. Like…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum