Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

How to design your home

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

We have just accepted tender and about to start selecting all our interiors and I am extremely overwhelmed with both my design direction (or lack thereof) and also trying to stick with a budget. Worried that my tastes may change and I will hate anything I do within a year and not sure what I should prioritise and what I can compromise on.

Any tips or tricks which helped you through this journey?

Thanks in advance,
K
Hi K - In my experience designing display homes and in doing many prestart consultations, my advice is pick something really classic for your main surfaces and finishes - spend some money on a stone top you love for the kitchen or porcelain bathroom floor tiles, then simply par back everything else - let the walls of the bathrooms be simple white tiles for example and perhaps do one feature wall. A mix of cabinetry in the kitchen consisting of white or grey contrasted with some timber laminate always always works. Introduce colours only with appliances and towels etc and keep the materials selections to a maximum of 3 colours in any room.
Thank you for the for taking the time to provide me with very valuable advice!

I will definitely keep this in mind when making selections.
That's really sound advice, going for classic. It's just like fashion where you won't worry that your pieces will be "out" after a season or two. Doesn't mean you can't limit yourself in accessories, which translate to accent pieces at home.

My home design.
yuk
Related
1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

13/02/2024
Charged Rainwater System Design

General Discussion

Once you know the basics, the rest is easy. Read my post in the thread linked below. viewtopic.php?p=1919271#p1919271

24/06/2023
Slab design

Building A New House

Although I am a big opponent of using waffle pod slabs over H2/P soils under any circumstances, in your case I would certainly opt in to keep piers under central…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum