Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Question re built in shelving

Page 1 of 1
We are having a gas log fire in our lounge room and on either side we are getting some custom made shelving (2 cupboards at the bottom and 4 shelves above). They will be built in and the cornices will go around the top so it all looks integrated.
My question is in relation to the colour. The furniture maker can only paint them in a white laquer (they will be made in MDF). Should we stick with the white or get the painters to paint them in the same colour as the walls (1/4 strength Hog Bristle)? My main concern is they won't have the same type of quality finish if the painters spray them (but at the same time don't want the white to clash with the wall colour).
Which finish/colour do you think would look best?
Thanks
why can they only lacquer them in white? I dont get it
if its a custom furniture maker it shouldnt be any more trouble

cant they do 1/4 hog bristile lacquer?
they would look nice, Ive had similar before looks lovely/elegant

white would also look nice but stand out a lot more, and be more modern
do you have white elsewhere in the area for white to work?
bec - we offered to bring the paint to the furniture maker but apparently the paint for walls etc is too thick for the spray gun and the laquer is a special type of paint which only comes in white.
The house generally has lighter colours so I don't think the white would look out of place. I guess it would also save on the need to keep repainting them if we changed the wall colour of the house.
We have a similar setup, ours all matches in.

If you wanted to, you could make them a feature and hang something above the fireplace to tie in with it?
natava1
We are having a gas log fire in our lounge room and on either side we are getting some custom made shelving (2 cupboards at the bottom and 4 shelves above). They will be built in and the cornices will go around the top so it all looks integrated.
My question is in relation to the colour. The furniture maker can only paint them in a white laquer (they will be made in MDF). Should we stick with the white or get the painters to paint them in the same colour as the walls (1/4 strength Hog Bristle)? My main concern is they won't have the same type of quality finish if the painters spray them (but at the same time don't want the white to clash with the wall colour).
Which finish/colour do you think would look best?
Thanks

I think the white will look stunning!

It will dress your shelving area and make it look quite classy!!!
Thanks for your responses - still tossing up between the two options.

Paula - does your shelving have a semi gloss paint on them or are they matt like the walls?
I would match them to your door colours - if your trims are white then I would stick with the white on the shelving.
natava1
Thanks for your responses - still tossing up between the two options.

Paula - does your shelving have a semi gloss paint on them or are they matt like the walls?

Ours a re high gloss, cupboards on the bottom, shelves on the top with a glass door. The mantle and surround on the fireplace are all high gloss to match.
Related
9/08/2023
Built-in Shelving

General Discussion

Strong enough for what? For linen, absolutely. To climb on, no. I've got similar shelving in my garage and it holds a decent amount of weight. 900 wide shelves will carry…

29/07/2023
House possibly built on spring (1960's home)

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

We purchased a 1960s property that is on timber stumps mostly, and a newer section is on concrete stumps. We had a building inspection initially and they reported some…

11/09/2023
Built-in wardrobe: MDF?

Building A New House

Probably a not bad thing to mention particle board should in case anyone else reading this got the two confused.

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum