Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Pendant lighting above island bench

Page 1 of 1
We are currently building and have allocated two junction boxes over our island bench which will be 2.89 x 1.1m. My original plan was to put a cluster of 2-3 staggered pendants at one end and downlight at the other end but looking at kitchen thread a lot of people are still doing the three pendants over the island. What would you recommend? Also if doing pendant just at one end would you recommend one larger pendant or a couple of staggered ones?

Thanks for any help!!!
Don't know if this helps but I am doing 3 evenly spaced over the island. I'm a big fan of symmetry but I think it just comes down to personal choice. I just ordered these online...

Welcome to our new Metricon Henderson

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81978

https://metriconhenderson.wordpress.com

If it helps any....for the most effective use of lighting with pendents, they need to be hung a metre apart.
That might help you with your decision....

http://www.denovoconcepts.com/wp/

My island bench is 3m long. Would you recommend 2 or 3 pendant lights?

Hi Kylz4,

I'm having the same dilemma - but I've seen so much of the three pendants that I'm totally over it, even though I liked it at first.

What I've decided to do is entirely different.
Imagine you are standing at your island - we have high ceilings, so I'm gonna have those short classic pendants that have three glass lights in each, not quite a chandelier but a bit classic/fancy.

As you stand at the island there is going to be one over each shoulder, slightly in front of the line of your shoulders, and slightly over the edge of the island - and about a foot out to either side IYKWIM. That way we have 'task lighting' (jeepers I hate the jargon), whole kitchen lighting, and you aren't working in your own shadow. I'm also gonna have some classic wall lights, as I'm not having overhead cupboards. As it's a 'New England Transitional' style kitchen, that lighting style won't be out of place.

As for the light placement, you are going to get a good coverage with the 3 globe light pendants, and plenty of lumens, just as you would from three pendants. However I know that having pendants in my line of sight would bug the heck out of me when I'm prepping. I just couldn't stand for my kitchen to look like something off 'The Block', or out of a builder's catalogue, either.

I don't like downlights, either, I think they're ugly and spoil the ceiling sweep. I know a lot of house 'n' home mags photoshop them out. So that was the only solution I could see.

Things generally look better in threes, but as I have a massive space to dine in front of my kitchen, those same lights will be repeated into the room there, exactly in line. It will then be foursquare and look fine - it depends on how the rest of the space is going to be, to determine what works.

Hope that helps you to think of other options for your own space...
Good luck!
We have a 3.3m island with 4 teardrop shaped glass pendant. The light emits all over the room not just 'down' due to a light cover (if that makes sense)

I'm also not a fan of downlights so opted for fan light and wall lights in the other area of the open plan space.
We ordered three 'orb' handblown lights from Mark Douglass in Melbourne. They'll go over our nearly 4m peninsular arm of our u-shaped kitchen. We have three downlights over the middle of the kitchen so that we can have task as well as mood lighting. Each to his/her own (I see a previous poster detests downlights
)

We ordered them in medium, as we wanted pear-style Edison globes. You can hang this singly, in pairs or trios or en masse. They can make any colour you like, as they are handblown.

We are about six weeks away from handover and I can't wait to see our beautiful lights hung.

I hope you are happy with your eventual choice. Best of luck! So many choices!!
kylz4
We are currently building and have allocated two junction boxes over our island bench which will be 2.89 x 1.1m. My original plan was to put a cluster of 2-3 staggered pendants at one end and downlight at the other end but looking at kitchen thread a lot of people are still doing the three pendants over the island. What would you recommend? Also if doing pendant just at one end would you recommend one larger pendant or a couple of staggered ones?

Thanks for any help!!!

We have a 3M long bench so we have decided to have three pendant lights to provide a good coverage.

We didn't go with M lighting and sourced it ourselves.

Renman
kylz4

Thanks for any help!!!

We have a 3M long bench so we have decided to have three pendant lights to provide a good coverage.

We didn't go with M lighting and sourced it ourselves.

I like! We did the same & bought from Beacon.

We are going for this look, marble pendants, three over the kitchen bench.

But centred, these look at an angle.

Thanks Renman and Mink, 3 look great, I am still not sure though, think we will be doing 3, 1 feature on the end or just diwnlights? Dining room will probably have a pretty funky feature light so don't want too much going on!?

We have the three on the bench and a different pendant in dining

I found this on Pinterest the other day with some good tips
https://www.clairebellastudio.com/kitch ... ing-guide/

Related
14/06/2023
Brick movement above damp proof course

General Discussion

Have look at your house plans and you will probably find that brick articulation joint has been missed. Maximum allowable spacing is 6M or 5.5M for a wall with window…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum