Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Paint colour to go with red bricks and terracotta roof???

Page 1 of 1
Please help me in my paint-choosing psychosis. I'm onto my 13th sample pot and going slowly mad...

The situation: Federation home, double brick, already painted so we have no option but to paint all the brick. South facing. Tall brick fence.

Driveway is now paved with secondhand red bricks (which I love). Roof is terracotta tiles.

I started off wanting light warm grey, but then found the south-facing aspect made EVERYTHING look greyer, bluer, and cooler. Or the bricks made things look pinker. So I have moved towards greige...

The "best colours" so far I have tested, are:

Wattyl Smooth Horizon (amazing with the bricks but too dark)
Dulux Self-Destruct (a bit too creamy and yellow)

Tried Smooth Horizon half but with the half-strength it again looked washed out and greyed. Tried Dulux Linseed - looks identical to Smooth Horizon half, haha.

Have just tried Kahlua Milk, which is drying.

I was thinking of using something like Wattyl Thunderbolt (dark warm grey) for the fascia and front door, and Wattyl Magic White or Dulux Natural White for the windows.

The dual killers seem to be the terracotta, but even more so, the south-facing aspect.

HEEEEEEEEEELP!
Guess I'm too late for this one??

Sorry...
Hi Michelle - yes a bit late, but thank you!

I went with my gut (and what the 19 sample pots told me, haha!) - Wattyl Smooth Horizon walls, Dulux Natural White eaves, gable straps, windows, doorframe, and, Dulux Organic gutters and fascia. Dulux Organic high gloss front door - didn't want to introduce another colour because of all the terracotta as well as a spotted gum driveway fence.

Almost finished and looking fantastic - will post a pic when done
Sorry.... Really happy you got it sorted though!
Hey dibdot what a beautiful house! I really like the colour it is. I have no idea what any of those colours are. Can you describe? Curious. Your house really is charming.

Related
26/01/2024
Terracotta roof draft issues

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi everyone I have a terracotta tiles roof When I climb inside the roof cavity I can feel that there is a draft inside the roof as the wind goes through the roof which is…

12/02/2024
Terracotta roof replacement

General Discussion

We're looking at replacing the roof of a heritage listed home so it needs to be terracotta tiles, wondering if anyone has any recommendations, hints or…

18/09/2023
Adhesive seals for western red cedar windows

Windows & Doors

I’m restoring all my 40yr old windows and I want to install seals around the casements. I’ve sanded back and oiled the frames with sikkens. My plan is to box up inside…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum