Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

What colour for white gloss trims?

Page 1 of 1
In our spec they have written "builders white" for the gloss work on the doors and skirts etc but was wondering what colour whites people have used I want a really crisp white that will stay white over time and not yellow

What colour name have you all used for your white gloss?
MrBee
In our spec they have written "builders white" for the gloss work on the doors and skirts etc but was wondering what colour whites people have used I want a really crisp white that will stay white over time and not yellow

What colour name have you all used for your white gloss?

Ask builder whose pain he uses then go to their retail outlet and look at their whites to make a call.
We used Dulux colour Vivid White for our gloss skirting boards, doors and architraves. Very happy with it
HomeAngels
We used Dulux colour Vivid White for our gloss skirting boards, doors and architraves. Very happy with it

did it yellow at all?
MrBee
HomeAngels

did it yellow at all?

It hasn't yet. The paint is around 12mths old now.
Let me clarify somethign for you.
Oil based enamels, no matter which brand, will yellow if not exposed to some UV light, either direct or indirectly.
This yellowing is at its worst if the following conditions are met:
1. The white paint is untinted (vivid white) - no colorant means the white titanium dioxide is the only solids in the tin
2. The substrate is hidden from any sunlight - Some UV light is needed to keep the binder clear
3. The enamel is allowed to cure while acrylics are also curing in the same unventilated space

To combat this, builders add a slight amount of black to their white trim paint, called BUILDERS WHITE. If you need builders white, simply ask for dulux Lexicon quarter strength. This has just enough black pigment to fill the voids between binder and TiO2 delaying the yellow process significantly without any visual colour.
I can not stress enough, vivid white untinted oil based enamels should not be used inside except for window frames. If you must have stark white, you really should consider using a water based enamel and have it sprayed. You can also purchase spray packs of white water based enamels which are perfect for getting a great gloss finish with a guaranteed 'white for life'.

Also on a side note, ceiling white is actually not the whitest of whites, its actually a very very very light grey.
Id recommend you spray your doors with Dulux Aquanamel untinted!

looks brilliant.
Lexicon Quarter semi-gloss. Looks great!
Related
8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

15/01/2024
Black gloss enamel

General Discussion

This link might answer your question. I had the same issue and it turned out to be the roller. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painti ... %20coating.

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum