Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Ideas for entry hallway

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Just wondering if anyone could recommend some ideas for my entry hallway as it is at bit dull at the moment.

Was thinking maybe a floating board with a mirror above it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Assume first pic is as you enter and the second as you enter from the garage

At the moment the abandoned slippers are the focus! So a change of habits may be a good start!

The doormat, if it can be placed inside the garage would visually work better.

A mirror: no, as what it is going to reflect as you enter? if placed on the right, then the door to the garage as you enter, or yourself leaving the garage (I know I often want something more uplifting than my own image
)

A bold piece of artwork you love would be more appropriate to draw your attention on the wall to the right before it narrows. Another artwork that ties in with this on the wall at the far end (past the fridge freezer?) draws attention and focus down as you enter. Of course this would have to work with what else is in the space.
4walls
Assume first pic is as you enter and the second as you enter from the garage

At the moment the abandoned slippers are the focus! So a change of habits may be a good start!

The doormat, if it can be placed inside the garage would visually work better.

A mirror: no, as what it is going to reflect as you enter? if placed on the right, then the door to the garage as you enter, or yourself leaving the garage (I know I often want something more uplifting than my own image
)

A bold piece of artwork you love would be more appropriate to draw your attention on the wall to the right before it narrows. Another artwork that ties in with this on the wall at the far end (past the fridge freezer?) draws attention and focus down as you enter. Of course this would have to work with what else is in the space.

Yes sorry, first pic is from the front door and second pic is from the garage.

lol yeh they're my wife's slippers, I myself am not a fan of them but what can ya do?

Doormat is now in the garage.

Instead of artwork, would baby photos look good there? Dont' really have any taste in artwork, so it could look worse

Would a little table suit that space? for keys etc? or a little corner glass shelf?
I'm sorry I got no ideas for your hallway but I really love your flooring! What is it?
I like things clean and clear in the hall.

Maybe a mirror, or a set of pictures (those ones that come in 3s - ocean scene etc). At most - maybe a half round table against the wall ?

You don't want to block the walk way/doors - and constantly have people bumping things.
I like the idea of a table similar in shape to what you posted, but keep in mind the security issues of leaving your keys in sight of the front door (we all do it, which is why theft of keys from home is the number one method of car theft).

The thing that sticks out for me is the nib of wall which sticks out and makes things narrower. I think a table would reduce the "harshness" of the change in width. If you wanted to go really abstract, a canvas print or similar which wraps around the corner may work. Would be difficult to find the right print and style though, and if not done right, would look pretty tacky.
Hi, check out Melsie68's hallway. She has some awesome art on the walls. Also you might find a narrow floating table or shelf a good option for your hallway...Floating will create the impression of more space in a small area and you will have the bonus of a bit of extra storage. I would envisage the shelving/table would not stick out further than the little nib wall down the long side of the wall.
Here's a bit of inspiration for you:

Great floating suggestion from treeseachanger.
Baby photos I would also say no. The hallway is a place of movement, your children are special to you and your visiting family and should take time to appreciate their photos from time to time, which would be better in a place more time is spent. Often a picture wall is done on the staircase, as you slow down on stairs. Personally I find that, especially with trying to organise children and schedules, that you are rushing in and out, so something special/detailed in this space will likely not get the attention it deserves.
thanks trees .
im eventually going to have a rug down there . I have skirting aswell . I love the idea of a floating shelves. Or maybe a console table .
alex_6169
I like the idea of a table similar in shape to what you posted, but keep in mind the security issues of leaving your keys in sight of the front door (we all do it, which is why theft of keys from home is the number one method of car theft).

The thing that sticks out for me is the nib of wall which sticks out and makes things narrower. I think a table would reduce the "harshness" of the change in width. If you wanted to go really abstract, a canvas print or similar which wraps around the corner may work. Would be difficult to find the right print and style though, and if not done right, would look pretty tacky.

That bend area in the hall also might lend itself to a "feature wall" approach. (Forget previous comments on feature walls. Although no-one will remember what I said about them ...
). Or even - dare I say it - wall paper. Could add some real zest to the "look" as you come in / walk along ?
IssyandOzzy
I'm sorry I got no ideas for your hallway but I really love your flooring! What is it?

Thanks! They're Milano Nero gloss... the supplier are Hynes

Everyone else, thank you so much for the ideas and inspiration..

Will have a think about it and see how we go
I'm surprised no one has also suggested a wall coat or hat rack...in whatever style you like to match your furniture, beach, rustic, trad, modern....every style is available..
Tress you have so many good ideas .love it
You can set up some LED downlights on the ceilings and you can even ask your electrician to set some LED tubes on the sides of the hallway. they look good but cost less. ask your electrician for a good LED company and set up on your hallway and make it look bright and classy
A dark large format artwork to match the floors wirh some cour or light to carry it through
Yeah, an artwork'd perfect there. And I also agree that generally it should be rather dark, but as it is shown on the photo above, it might be with some bright elements, them creating a contrast being the main theme of the artwork. Your hallway would make it look very visible, thus being a nice exposition space.
Check out works of Jan Lebenstein, I think they'd look brilliant. I am thinking about those more abstract - a bit of scrolling through Google Images is required to find those.
I think I would go opposite and opt for a bright coloured artwork
Yellow would look fantastic!

I have this storage bench from Masters and it helps tidy away our shoes

https://www.masters.com.au/product/100354244/closetmaid-3-cube-storage-bench-white
Related
23/10/2023
Alternative to hallway?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Might cheaper to changer your idea of what makes a home, have you considered building a porch?

21/10/2023
Hallway arch - hoping to make less ugly

Interior Decorating Lounge

at most it will have a short lintel which could be moved up just below the ceiling or even above. Above means you need to patch the cornice and might need to deal with…

9/02/2024
Long hallway lighting suggestions

Building A New House

What? It's a lighting question, the control joint is only needed at 12m centres, a bulkhead or change of direction will suffice as a 'break' in the ceiling, just make…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum