Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Help with colours for our extension

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We are building an extension which will include a kid's bedroom, master bedroom and ensuite and I need some help/advice choosing colours. The rest of the house (walls, ceiling and trim) is painted in the one colour called Cotton Canvas which is a sort of a light cream colour, the floor tiles are a light brown sort of colour and the carpet is a sandy brown sort of colour. But for the extension we were thinking of having white ceiling and trim and grey walls with darker carpet than we currently have. Obviously the paint colours will affect the colours for our ensuite tiles and vanity. So my main questions are:

1. Is it weird to change from our existing light/cream/brown colours to grey and white in the extension or should we try to find something that complements what we have in the rest of the house?
2. Our windows frames are aluminum Primrose, so would that look weird with white trim/grey walls or should we try to find something that complements them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Below is a photo of our current colours:

From a design eye, having the extension a different colour just highlights the fact that it IS an extension and IMO, will look very wrong if both parts of the house are different.

Try and compromise if you can, you either paint the extension a colour close to what you already have, or you re-paint the whole house in the new colours.

Sorry.......
Michelle
Try and compromise if you can, you either paint the extension a colour close to what you already have, or you re-paint the whole house in the new colours.

Thanks Michelle,

I spoke to my better half and she said she intends to repaint the whole house eventually. Depending on the paint colour we might need to get new carpets, but we can't do much with the tiles and window frames. Do you think a grey/white colour scheme would look wierd with our colour tiles and the primrose window frames?
Window frames are not easy or cheap to replace. IMO I'd look at a travertine/sandstone schemes or similar, which would blend with your existing frames. I am a fan of travertine cos it gives a really natural feel to the bathroom. And crisp white looks great against it as does black, if you choose a light travertine.

Example pic below:

fozzy
Michelle

Thanks Michelle,

I spoke to my better half and she said she intends to repaint the whole house eventually. Depending on the paint colour we might need to get new carpets, but we can't do much with the tiles and window frames. Do you think a grey/white colour scheme would look wierd with our colour tiles and the primrose window frames?

You can paint AL windows

Not sure about your tiles, you probably need to get a couple of sample pots in light greys and see how they all look.
Post me a photo here if you want me to have a look
Thanks
Related
27/03/2024
Forest adjacent with stonework -Colours for our second dwell

General Discussion

We are building a second dwelling and are currently selecting window and door frames. We want to blend into the forest and also bring out the stone work and the fake wood…

13/06/2024
What are our rights with our draftsman and the completion of

Building A New House

I second taking your plans elsewhere. They're yours (unless you ended up in one of those cheaper arrangements where you don't own the rights and the build will be tendered…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum