Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Restoring stain and varnish/finish to timber furniture

Page 1 of 1
Not sure where to post this topic, but wondered if anybody knows whether it is easy to restore a timber table that has had the stain and varnish/finish removed from it by accidental spillage of something (can't remember what it was). Whatever it was took all the colour out. The timber is an Asian darkish stained timber. Could the whole table rbe sanded back and re-stained/finished? (no idea whether it is varnished, it has a low sheen).

Any advice appreciated. I'm thinking the tables didn't cost enough in the first place to get them done professionally....

Thanks, Nina
You could re-do the entire thing but that's pretty time-consuming! Another option would be (if the mark is on the top) to just re-finish the top of the table, or you could try to just repair the patch.

If the timber has been stained basically black it probably has a Japan stain on it, which you can buy from Bunnings in the stain section.
Related
1/06/2023
Restoring old sliding windos

Windows & Doors

Thanks Chippy,I do have one that I levered out. I'll try to find a brand name on the windows then do some searching. Here is a photo where you can see how worn they are.

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

29/01/2024
Anyone know the process to stain axon cladding

Building A New House

The most definitive answer to your question James is this taken from the James Hardie Axon Cladding Installation Guide - i just happen to have it…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum