Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Anyone painted with the Dulux metallic colours?

Page 1 of 2
We saw a media room in a display home painted in the Dulux metallic paint ... in the silver/grey colour. It looked fantastic ... but the display salesperson kept going on about how hard it was to apply and painters don't like doing it.

I guess what I would like to know is if anyone has used the paint or had a room/wall painted with it? If you had a painter do it did they charge alot more? Are you happy with the finish/look of the paint?
I'm interested to know if anyone has also.I know "Jazz and Brett" on here have and the wall looks fabulous but I am still not sure if it's the right choice for one of our walls. I was looking at the hazelnut one I can't remember the exact name and I wasn't too impressed with the sample pot as I reckon it looked more silver than hazelnut if that makes sense.

If anyone can find any photos or display homes etc using metallic colours that would be great.
Hmm ... will have to go and check Jazz and Brett's thread out again, I must have missed it. Thanks.
Dollar
I'm interested to know if anyone has also.I know "Jazz and Brett" on here have and the wall looks fabulous but I am still not sure if it's the right choice for one of our walls. I was looking at the hazelnut one I can't remember the exact name and I wasn't too impressed with the sample pot as I reckon it looked more silver than hazelnut if that makes sense.

If anyone can find any photos or display homes etc using metallic colours that would be great.

The media room I saw was done entirely in this paint, including the ceiling. It looked fantastic, except for the ceiling the paint job was very patchy. Unfortunately they don't allow photos and the salesperson follows you around the entire house, so can't even sneak one as I would have loved a photo of it.
Damn! Surely Dulux should have some real photos or places for people to view their paint on a wall.
I found a big dulux paint centre in town today (it wasn't lost, but I was
) ... I might drop in there (if I can find it again
) and see if they can show me some more real examples and give me info on the paint.
We used the green (Earth Edge?) in our bathroom, and were quite happy with the effect of Dulux Metalic paint. However, it was a pain to use, as it shows every texture, and it was difficult to get a consistent texture. In the end we went for a mish-mash of textures, and decided that was good enough for us.
Thanks swarles ... I love the green.
ooh I like the green too. I'm scared of the effects it will produce if we use it and do not apply it well. It could easily go horribly wrong. OR could always get a painter to do it.
We were hoping to use a metallic in our media room also - but were steered away form it by our painter - due to the difficulty in application....

Basically what he said is that it looks good on a small sample as they can spray it evenly, but once it comes time to apply it to a large area it is not so easy in reality.... we really loved the idea of it, but just couldn't risk it.....

Would too love to see any results from those, esp success stories, so I can admire from afar!
It sounds like a colour that I definitely wouldn't apply myself ... I hate painting 'normal' colours, let alone anything that requires me to be extra careful

That would explain the patchy ceiling work at the display home .... bit tricky.

I'd really love it in the media room but I don't know if I'm prepared to take the risk
Take the risk. It's only paint...can always be changed if you really hate it.
Dollar

lol ... as long as it's not as hard to get rid of as the suede effect that I got sick of at our last house.
Dollar

This is what I thought, but apparently it is quite hard to loose the effect, and will still almost show thru after normal applications......

I have to say I would proceed with caution and knowing there is a possibility you may be disappointed.......
I spoke to our builder about the paint today and he said they finished a build a few weeks ago and they painted the media room in the grey/silver metallic that we are wanting. So I'm going to see if the owner of this place will let me have a look ... no harm in asking.
RaryGirl
I spoke to our builder about the paint today and he said they finished a build a few weeks ago and they painted the media room in the grey/silver metallic that we are wanting. So I'm going to see if the owner of this place will let me have a look ... no harm in asking.

Oooooh I hope so!!!

And if you can sneak some pics in too even better!!!! Then post for us nosey's
Any photos would be awesome!
lol ... I'll try ... not sure how some guy will like a strange woman coming into his home taking photos.
I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what he says.
Hehe, I'm sure you're not (that!) strange!!

Hopefully they will be obliging - dying to see, as I wanted to do the silver too!!!
Exciting!!!
You could always spray it
that way it will not have brush or roller marks
Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

31/01/2024
Assistance with Exterior Roof and Brick Colours

Building A New House

Hi all, I am currently building through Simmonds and stuck deciding on my exterior cement roof titles and brick colours. The front and fascade of the house is a pretty…

5/02/2024
Provincial style hone external colours

Building A New House

The Dulux colour consultants are awesome. If you show them the photos they should be able to figure it out for you straight away

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum