Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Colour Selection Options

Page 1 of 1
Hi all.

Firstly, thanks for the feedback on the timber door query the other day, I appreciate it !

Was hoping to get the opinions of the wider community for our elevation, bathroom and kitchen options. Will make this first post the elevation thread to avoid putting too much in at once.

This is the standard elevation:

And with a caboa timbergrain garage and matching front door (sorry for the poor effort...):

A more detailed pic of the elevation for reference:

We have chosen PGH Pistachio for the brick. Looks a bit like the original santorini block, with a pinch of grey...and much cheaper !:

The hard thing for us, is deciding the roof colours. We initially wanted monument, but as our house faces north, I was genuinely worried about asymetric heating, and the overall heat gain of a dark roof, especially since our house is steel - dont want to turn the house into a heater !

So we looked at woodland grey, but now also think it too may be a bit dark. The roof in the original elevation plan appears to be surfmist in the pictures, or perhaps shale grey. Our preference would be to go for something light grey, perhaps with a touch of brown to it as we think it would complement the brick and timber - but cant decide on a combination for roof, gutter, fascia and render portico / mouldings around the windows.

An idea of ours is to make the roof & gutters in dune
/shale grey
and then perhaps go a lighter shade for fascia. The trim around the windows would be the same colour as the roof, and the portico the same as the fascia. Window frames would be same as roof as well ?

Or would it look much cleaner if we just had one colour for the roof / fascia, and went a single colour for the portico / window trim ? If this were the case, would it look silly if the portico / window trim were darker than the roof ? We like this colour as a render (or something similar) :
would it look out of place with dune or surfmist as the roof colour ?

Appreciate any help that can be provided!
I’ll try and get to your post over the weekend, brain dead from work at the moment
I like the first image which looks like shale grey and classic cream.
Have you thought about paperbark?? Not for the roof but the trimmings?
Yeah, that might also be a good option.

We hit the road yesterday and saw a few display homes with the pistachio brick with a few different elevation options. Just wondering what you guys and gals think looks better ?

We were thinking of either:

1. Dune Roof, gutter & fascia with a dark rendered portico and trim around the windows

2. Woodland Grey gutter, dune trim & dune render / window trim

3. Dune roof, jasper gutter, dune fascia with jasper render portico / window trim.

We figure that if we go for a contrasting gutter or fascia to the roof, then it should be flowed through to the portico & window as otherwise it would be 5 seperate colours to the front (brick, roof, gutter, timbergrain, & render colour)

Given we have a trim going around the windows, do you think the front would look too busy if we had a contrasting colour run through the gutter (even if they were both the same colour ?) Or should we keep it simple - one colour for roof, one colour for portico / window trim, and let the timbergrain door and front door be the main "feature" ?

Appreciate your thoughts
I think that the gutter should be the same as the roof and the fascia should be the same as the window trim. The portico could be the same as the fascia/window trim.
As to the three pictures on colour choices, all three are actually quite nice, my home is similar in colour to the first one which I think is woodland grey and classic cream. I actually like the others also. I've seen homes similar in design to yours and from memory they have used colours similar to dune, just had a look at your first post again and I am drawn to the first image you have there of surfmist/shale grey with the classic cream combo!
Captain Morgan
1. Dune Roof, gutter & fascia with a dark rendered portico and trim around the windows

awesome. thanks michelle. My wife is now claiming #1 was her idea. She also thinks that a render colour about 3 - 4 tints darker than dune would be best (...any ideas what that colour might end up being, or something that would go good ?)
Dulux Stepney

Dulux Tristan

Thanks michelle.

We looked at those colours on the weekend and were wondering, are they too cool a colour to go with the dune roof and pistachio brick ?

Its awfully confusing, as we have a colourbond sample in our hand and it definately doesnt look as grey as it appears in the sample attached to the previous post.

In regard to portico / window trim, we were wondering if somethign like this would work (ignoring the sandy-coloured render...just looking at the darkish brown stripe):

Its from PGH's website - the brick is pistachio; the dark brown seems to go with it nice. Is it 'ok' to get a render that is the darkest part of the whole house ? Also, you mentioned in another post that it would create what you called a "Line"...what is this, and is it ok in our instance ?

We also thought that a brownish-grey would be the best combination, say something like 'Buckeroo' or 'Eagle Ridge' (Berger colours) or maybe Dulux Walnut Brown or Sandalwood or maybe String Deep even ?

we are just worried that a grey might contrast the roof and brick too much and take away from the timber panel door and entrance.

If we are off track here, please set us straight !

thanks.
C/Bond Dune

Dulux Stepney

Dulux Tristan

I’m not finished here; sorry I got stuck on the phone with a vendor and another real estate agent for the past 2 hours.

Will come back tomorrow some time.
OK, after putting all your selections together, what do you think now?

I would do the render in the Stepney and the trim around the house in the Tristan.

What do you think?
Thanks Michelle, we liked those colours....but a funny thing happened at our selections appointment last Friday. The colour consultant talked us into something different, and now we are kind of second guessing ourselves (gee whizz, what a surprise !)

What was suggested:

Roof: Dune
Gutter: Jasper
Fascia: Dune
Renderd mouldings to windows & keystone : Jasper
Portico: Dulux Toffee Fingers.
Windows: Anodic Grey

The rest of the house was as we originally posted at the top of the forum: Pistachio brick with Caboa panel-lift door, with matching-stained front door.

We lilke the idea of the Jasper rendered mouldings through the windows, but we arent certain of the jasper gutters. Do you think a second Jasper line through the house (ie ther gutters) is "too much"? Also, are we introducing too many colours by choosing the toffee fingers for the portico (should it also be jasper, or perhaps dune even ?)

We have seen plenty of display homes that have a contrasting gutter, but not many that have the rendered mouldings as well (that match the gutter). If anyone out there has any pics, it would be greatly appreciated !

Appreciate any advice or opinions.

CM
I haven’t forgotten you…..I’ve brought some work home tonight, never ends
Yes I think the new colours will work also.
Related
26/02/2024
Need help on wall colour selection

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, we have classic cream gutters, fascia’s, roller door and undercover carport. We are are going to paint the roof a terracotta orange colour. After some…

20/04/2024
Colour Selection: Comments / Feedback

Building A New House

I am building Enfield 201 by Mimosa Homes - York Facade Link: https://www.mimosahomes.com.au/new-homes/enfield-201/ I did my colour appointment last week. I am looking…

24/07/2023
Firstyle Tile Selection

General Discussion

Hi Kaiser85, We are building with Firstyle Homes. Our build has just started, slab pour is on Saturday (hopefully!). Their standard range is pretty good. We did our…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum