Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Help with dark grey for fence

Page 1 of 1
I've just painted a section of paling fence which is inside my carport. I wanted dark grey, to match the patterned concreted surface and the paving in the adjoining area.

I tried a sample pot of Taubmans Eagle Feather and it looked ok in a small area but now that I have painted the whole fence in some lights it looks very blue.

I usually end up choosing Dulux colours but there weren't any cards that were grey, which I found quite strange.

Can anyone recommend a warm dark grey colour that is not going to look blue or purple?
Hi mishb,
Take a photo of your patterned concrete slab then take it to the paint shop and ask them for recomendations regarding best choices takes a lot of hedaches out of try to match colours.
Regards
Heath
We used Dulux Malay Grey on exterior and in our media room and I love it:

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/ms_builder/P5180351.jpg

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/ms_builder/2010-04-08-1.jpg

Sorry, they are the best photos we have.

The shade slightly lighter is Dulux Tristan, which we have used in our kitchen (2pak) and its also a lovely colour...
Ms Builder…..your house looks really good, are you in yet?
I had your problem. Wanted dark grey, but not blue tinge...and not black.

Spoke to 2 guys at paint warehouse...they couldn't help me. I went to speak to the junior guy who said "have you heard of the newest colorbond colour?". He got the swatch out and it was just what I wanted. Not black, no blue tinge....just dark grey.

You might find a half strength would do you?
I have to say….most greys seem to have an obvious tint of another colour in them in Dulux.
atlas
I had your problem. Wanted dark grey, but not blue tinge...and not black.

Spoke to 2 guys at paint warehouse...they couldn't help me. I went to speak to the junior guy who said "have you heard of the newest colorbond colour?". He got the swatch out and it was just what I wanted. Not black, no blue tinge....just dark grey.

You might find a half strength would do you?

Do you know what colorbond colour it is? I've tried a colorbond colour called Woodland Grey which looked green.

ATM the fence has 3 different colours on it and none of them are right!
Ms Builder
We used Dulux Malay Grey on exterior and in our media room and I love it:

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/ms_builder/P5180351.jpg

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/ms_builder/2010-04-08-1.jpg

Sorry, they are the best photos we have.

The shade slightly lighter is Dulux Tristan, which we have used in our kitchen (2pak) and its also a lovely colour...

That looks good but I want it darker.
I think I am getting closer. I went to the Dulux inspirations paint place and the lady there showed me the whole colour book which starts with black and works up to lighter greys just with white added so they are pure grey, if that makes sense.

I chose a colour called Charcoal Light which is the right tone, but is a little too light. I'll go back and see if they can give me a darker version, hopefully it will be 4th time lucky!

It's much easier to paint the fence now that it has paint on it, if anyone has even painted a paling fence (the tricky 'backside' part with the cross bars), you'll know it's a dog of a job!
Charcoal Light was a bust, but I have now repainted the fence in Dulux Western Myall which is a winner, the colour is exactly what I wanted. If anyone is looking for a dark grey which doesn't reflect either blue or green it's worth checking out.
Related
24/10/2023
Dark Interior Tiles - Charcoal

Building A New House

Hi All, I am looking to go with tiles instead of laminate timber flooring throughout my living areas for my new build (Ashbury 29 - Henley). My whole colour scheme is on…

14/12/2023
Dark living room

General Discussion

sorry mate, not wasting more time on this. Youve completely missed the mark on some fundamentals and regardless of how many times i try and put it to you differently, you…

20/03/2024
Dark line marking in hardwood floor

General Discussion

Hi All. I'm currently resurfacing the hardwood floors and when removing the old layers that there's a long dark line running across the boards. Does anyone know what or…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum