Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Would you or wouldn't you?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
I'm back again with yet another colour and tile question if any one could please help. I have just finally finished painting our whole house in half hogsbristle. I'm working on the bathroom at the mo..new toilet in, new taps, no more pink walls
. It's all very plain now
My question is whether or not to do a feature wall surrounding the mirror....we are stuck with the oh so beautiful bench top. My bath mat is a dark deep brown colour and other colours I have been putting through house (ornaments/art) are olive greens and a splash of red. Should I or shouldn't I and if so any colour suggestions??? I was thinking along the browns and greens neutrals????

in this photo you can see the old feature tiles ( i was also wondering if I can chip these out and put in new ones??? Anyone know if it can be done???)

Can you use some kind of tile paint or decal to cover the old feature tiles?
Hi englyn,
That's an idea, I wonder if tile paint would stick very well???? I also have no idea what colour I would paint over it with?
Hi Belle,
When we renovated our bathroom we put a large mirror approx 120cm x 120cm above the vanity, no splashback tiles, directly butting up to the top of the vanity. A full length flouro fitting sits on the top of this, leaving only 20cm of painted wall visible above it. Our mirror is white framed the way your mirror is. We only have a very small bathroom and this makes it feel more light and spacious (it's the brightest room in the house at night). There have been no major issues keeping it clean (I am not a clean freak) and it still looks good as the day it went in which is over 10 years ago now.

Next week we are having our new kitchen splashback tiles installed and I asked the tiler how easy it would be to replace a broken soap dish in our downstairs shower. He said it would be "no problem", so I assume your feature tiles should also be able to be removed as well if need be.

Seems you have the major hurdle of a paint colour sorted, I am yet to solve that dilema.
Belle, if the bathroom looks “very plain now” why are you adding brown to a brownish bathroom.

You should be injecting colour in there, its big enough to do so.
I would look for some wall art in bright colours.
Your floor mat could be orange instead of brown…..there’s lots of ways to add colour to the space without doing a feature wall in there.
Thanks Michelle...you're a gem. Adding colour without painting sounds great! I do love our hogsbristle colour...it's such an improvement on our lovely pink walls, but I'm generally not too good at working out how to add colour (which ones and where!). I can see the orange working really well, thanks for that! Would you say I should go for a burnt orange or bright orange...see here again i have no idea lol! This is probably a stupid question but would I buy towels in the same colour as the bath mat? Our ensuite is exactly the same!!! So I have double trouble hehe!

Kazza thanks for the info on the tiles and mirror. I would love to have a full length mirror across that wall - might talk to hubby about that idea.
Thanks for everyones help..love the ideas!
Belle
Thanks Michelle...you're a gem. Adding colour without painting sounds great! I do love our hogsbristle colour...it's such an improvement on our lovely pink walls, but I'm generally not too good at working out how to add colour (which ones and where!). I can see the orange working really well, thanks for that! Would you say I should go for a burnt orange or bright orange...see here again i have no idea lol! This is probably a stupid question but would I buy towels in the same colour as the bath mat? Our ensuite is exactly the same!!! So I have double trouble hehe!

Belle, any colour is going to work, it’s a very neutral room colour wise.
Don’t be scared, if you see a colour you like….(NOT BROWN)
then use it.

You will be surprised how many colours will go in there.
Thanks Michelle. I'm going to hve fun playing with colours.
Related
9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

18/01/2024
Would you consider these issues as defects

General Discussion

Hi It came to my attention after the handover that - The facade cladding on the face and the side are not straight. -The face tapers down by 50mm from left to right and…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum