Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

internal sky lights

Page 1 of 1
What do you guys think about internal sky lights?

My house is a bit dark so I can see they would be a good advantage to have, but I am yet to find anything that isn't UGGGGGLY.

The house is a turn of the century queenslander, so it needs to fit in with the age of the house as well.

I think sklights are great. You can get styles from minamilist modern to period stained glass and everything inbetween.

Don't forget to consider the effect on thermal performance (insulated shaft, ability to close etc).
Since you are in Queensland I would suggest that one consideration should be a design that can be opened and used as a vent.

These are fantastic for letting heat out of the top of your room in Summer and getting great flow through air.

Cheers,

Earl
Good idea!

Where would I look for some different designs?

Do lighting shops also do sky lights?
as82,

Lighting shops are not the right place to look. Try a web search with sky light as the keyword and restricted to Australia and I'm sure you'll get more retailers that you can poke a stick at.

Cheers,
Casa
Here it is...

http://www.velux.com.au/
Or a better product at a better price...

http://www.infolink.com.au/articles/Bre ... z48319.htm

Has been seen on eBay and in the Trading Post...

Looks good and marketed by Breezway in Australia...
That last one probably won't suit as our rooves are flat

Will see what I can find and will post back if I find anything suitable.

Thanks guys for the suggestions
So many wonderful product so little...
My parents in QLD recently put a skylight in and one thing they included was a flap door inside it that allows them to turn it off when they want to.
ie when watching TV bright light above them was not desired. They pull string and the flap closes the skylight off.
A great idea and it works well.
Steve
Skydome do kits for flat roofs
Related
15/06/2023
Internal sheeting of shed

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks. Yeh ideally that would have been good, but have progressed too far now. Hoping some well placed internal walls fixed up into the battens will provide some…

15/11/2023
Internal brick wall vs plasterboard - cost and acoustic?

Building A New House

Thank you alexp79 and gommeqld for your advice, that's very helpful, thanks

13/01/2024
Damp Internal Wall

General Discussion

You can use hairdryer

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum