Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Teenage boy's room

Page 1 of 2
I posted this in the wrong forum last night, meant to put it here. My brain was having a holiday yesterday....

I'm planning to chuck pretty much everything in my 13YO son's room and start from scratch. We'll be doing it on a budget, so IKEA will be the source for desk, bookcases, shelves and bedside table. Those will all be in black-brown. A new king single bed (just mattress and base for now, might add a bedhead later) and he'll be all set as far as furniture goes....

So now I need to find some decorative touches that will suit a boy. Bedlinen shouldn't be too difficult - he's way past the age of cartoon character quilt covers, so I'll probably go with a stripe or other bold pattern.

The room is painted in Wattyl Castilian with one feature wall in Blue Earth. Trims are in Pearly Gates, a slightly creamy off-white. Carpet is a kind of mushroom colour, fairly light really, and the window has a light beige roller blind.

This isn't his room, it's his brother's, but its the same colours:

I'd like to tie in the blue and the light brown tones, but keep things mostly light, especially given the dark furniture. Maybe something like this:

The linen shouldn't be a major headache. More importantly (and here's where I want some assurance that I'm on the right track...or tell me if I'm nuts, PLEASE
), I'd like to add an accent colour and I'm thinking perhaps red? Just an ottoman, like this, and maybe one piece of art that has some red in it somewhere....

Thoughts? Am I completely off-track with the colour? And any other suggestions are welcome anyway - I have to do the 16YO's room as well, and I'd like a different accent in there.
Put an XBOX and Telly in the room, thatts all they seem to care about

I do like the fuzzy box thingy..

Ohh and space to stick posters of cars !
Steveo
Put an XBOX and Telly in the room, thatts all they seem to care about

I do like the fuzzy box thingy..

Ohh and space to stick posters of cars !

Uh...thanks Steveo.
It's not what HE cares about that matters....
Hi kek,
I like the red with those two colours. And I like the red poof (is that what you call them? Ottoman thingys?) too. Though he better not spill his sweet fizzy drinks on it as I can just see you tearing your hair out cleaning it!
I do think though that you may need to be a bit careful with the furniture you choose - to keep it in style and not have too many colours (go black OR brown, just not a bit of both).
I also like the bedlinen in the picture.. very nice!
Maybe for the 16 year old's room make the accent colour navy instead of red?
2fk
TwoFatKitties
Hi kek,
I like the red with those two colours. And I like the red poof (is that what you call them? Ottoman thingys?) too. Though he better not spill his sweet fizzy drinks on it as I can just see you tearing your hair out cleaning it!
I do think though that you may need to be a bit careful with the furniture you choose - to keep it in style and not have too many colours (go black OR brown, just not a bit of both).
I also like the bedlinen in the picture.. very nice!
Maybe for the 16 year old's room make the accent colour navy instead of red?
2fk

Ha! No drinks allowed in my kids' rooms!
Pouffe, ottoman, call it what you like. He loves anything with texture, so I thought it was cute.

The Black-brown is only one colour, just one of IKEA's standard range. Looks like this:

Navy is a good thought, thanks for the suggestion. Of course, he'd want black. Black walls, black carpet, black bedlinen....
Ahh ok I see what you mean about the furniture now. I like it, it's still masculine without being "teenage boy black" (Dulux should add that name to their colour palette). What is it with boys and black anyway?

The colours and the textures look very nice, would like to see the finished product when you're done too

2fk
I have no idea about an accent colour but the furniture will be great! You can't go past that desk and storage combo, my niece has it in white. Love the colours in the linen you posted too, very nice with your colour scheme
TwoFatKitties
Ahh ok I see what you mean about the furniture now. I like it, it's still masculine without being "teenage boy black" (Dulux should add that name to their colour palette). What is it with boys and black anyway?

The colours and the textures look very nice, would like to see the finished product when you're done too

2fk

"Teenage boy black"
That one opened his wardrobe to show his grandmother and she couldn't believe that every single item of clothing in it was BLACK.

Will definitely post pictures when it's done. Might be a while, I have umpteen projects on the go - lots of planning so far, not so much doing.

House-To-Be
I have no idea about an accent colour but the furniture will be great! You can't go past that desk and storage combo, my niece has it in white. Love the colours in the linen you posted too, very nice with your colour scheme

You can come and check it out when it eventually gets done, HTB.

I may have to go on an excursion to IKEA on Friday....impatient, you know. I'd better not spend the landscaping money.

Oh, I just remembered he has a red lava lamp....that settles it: red it is!
Kek….have a look at the colour wheel. How can you miss it..its huge!

Colours either side of the blue or opposite will work well. Since you have 2 boys rooms to do, I thought you might like the colour wheel.
Thanks Michelle....

Wish I could afford to do this all at once, not little bits at a time. When I decide to do something, I want it NOW.
kek
Thanks Michelle....

Wish I could afford to do this all at once, not little bits at a time. When I decide to do something, I want it NOW.

Don't we all.....
kek

I may have to go on an excursion to IKEA on Friday....impatient, you know. I'd better not spend the landscaping money.

Look forward to it
I've been to Ikea twice in the past week, I enjoy wandering around in there

No don't spend the landscaping money, you've been waiting too long to get that done. Summer is around the corner

www.comeinside.com.au - huge range of discounted Linen, not sure if you'll find what you are looking for but you never know.
Nice stuff there...found two that were perfect, but they were both sold out in singls size...
Oh well, I'll keep looking.
Target have a manchester sale on that ends on Wednesday. All sheets etc. are 30% off. I picked up some already-reduced quilt covers and there was another 30% off. Ended up quite cheap.

Judie
Judie
Target have a manchester sale on that ends on Wednesday. All sheets etc. are 30% off. I picked up some already-reduced quilt covers and there was another 30% off. Ended up quite cheap.

Judie

Thanks Judie.... I might get a chance to have a look today.
No rush though, I haven't quite decided on the bed size: I'm thinking maybe king single. Don't really want to go double, but there's bound to be some serious growing over the next few years!
House-To-Be
kek

Look forward to it
I've been to Ikea twice in the past week, I enjoy wandering around in there

No don't spend the landscaping money, you've been waiting too long to get that done. Summer is around the corner

http://www.comeinside.com.au - huge range of discounted Linen, not sure if you'll find what you are looking for but you never know.

Our new quilt cover and bed cushions arrived from 'come in side ' today. woohoo.

kek
Nice stuff there...found two that were perfect, but they were both sold out in singls size...

kek are you sure you want single covers? you might be better off getting double or queen quilts and covers. Are your boys in standard single beds or king sized singles. I think a double quilt size is the one suggested for king singles if you aren't buying a dedicated king single quilt and cover.
kexkez
kek

kek are you sure you want single covers? you might be better off getting double or queen quilts and covers. Are your boys in standard single beds or king sized singles. I think a double quilt size is the one suggested for king singles if you aren't buying a dedicated king single quilt and cover.

I went looking for manchester yesterday (that was a frustrating experience....
) and got the same advice from the lady at Adairs. The elder one will be getting a double bed, and the younger a king single, so as it turns out, we need double quilts for both.

I did find a factory nearby that sells beds direct, and delivers free to the local area, so that was a win.
I'll be back to order the beds in a few weeks, meanwhile I'm going to pick up the linen I want. If I can find anything I like, that is. Target looked like Viking raiders had been through there yesterday.
to be perfectly honest for the double bed I'd be tempted to buy a queen quilt if you can get it at the same price as a double. More coverage on a bed that way.

And a double for the king single. Double quilts aren't as long. but they are what is recommended for KSS's. The KSS bed is longer in length than a double bed. My mum bought some KSS cotton blankets for our boys beds. But for quilts atm they have their old sleeping bags and standard single bed quilts.
I'm with kexkez, my DD got a new double bed for her birthday last weekend. She has a double doona on it and there is not much overhang. My sister said I should have gone for a queen. But she is still young so the double fits over her fine. In a few years time when her linen is due for an upgrade I'll get her a queen. I'm thinking with your older boy being older/bigger then a Queen would fit over him better. Doubles for KS definitely.

Come Inside is great for getting things cheaper but it's one of those sites that you have to check regularly. I got mine (Linen House) and DD's (Freckles and Roomur) linen from there last year cheap.

Kexkez, hope you are enjoying your new linen

Great find on the bed factory too Kek

There's also a nice Manchester shop up the Coles end at Westfields, Plenty Valley. Did you go there?
House-To-Be

There's also a nice Manchester shop up the Coles end at Westfields, Plenty Valley. Did you go there?

Well, of course.
I haunt that place.....my "little" 13YO boy loves it too - he has to feel everything. Velour, faux fur, feathers, anything with a soft texture.

I'll have the linen sorted very soon. Then the furniture, and the beds probably in a month or two.
It'll be nice to have something finished.
Related
27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

14/12/2023
Dark living room

General Discussion

sorry mate, not wasting more time on this. Youve completely missed the mark on some fundamentals and regardless of how many times i try and put it to you differently, you…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum