Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Another 'Help me Michelle' thread :)

Page 1 of 2
Hi Michelle,

After lots and lots and lots of thinking, we decided that we might need to go White for floor tiles. White walls with white floor tiles will got with any furniture ..

What are your thoughts ? I'd love to have a featured wall in each room and the family room ..

What kind of floor tiles should I choose ? The glossy ones or the non glossy ones ?

What do you think of:

Floortiles: Cool White (400x400)
Walls: Cool White
Kitchen Cupboards and overheard cupboards: Black
Stone benctop: Black
Splashback: Red
Carpet: Black/Dark Grey

Thanks
Michelle ?
I’ll have to come back to this iTalk…..this one may need me to ask you a few questions to be able to help you.

I’m off to mow my lawns, so I’ll be back in later today.
This is only going to turn into the house you showed last time..

We will have white porcelain tiles, I think this looks good. I don't like the sound of all black, then red. Why is this your preference? And black bench, just doesnt work for me. Maybe neutral cabinets with red glass - much better.

Anything does go with white, the red black white thing works only if you have it EXACTLY right.
S&P…thanks for pulling this back up for me, I had forgotten about it!

Here’s a tip from a decorators point of view.

I have had to decorate and design themes for many people using many different selections, NOW; a lot of them is NOT what I would have in my own home!

BUT……that’s not what I’m paid for, and my tastes don’t count, nor should they!

So I give 10 points to someone doing something different, and I don’t try and change their minds, I work with what they want and MAKE it happen for them.

So sit back S&P and watch the black, white and red theme unfold.
iTalk……I know there are a lot of people in here using a gloss ceramic tile for their floors, but I try and stay away from them. Mainly while I’m doing selections for clients, I don’t want to end up in court because my client slipped on a wet slippery floor.

You can have a nice white floor without going super glossy.
So my advise is to go a slip resident mat tile.

DON’T go a black carpet you will be very sorry for the lint and stuff that shows up on it, do a dark grey if you have to.

OK…..a full black kitchen….I might have to think about that one.
Red splash back, excellent!

What laminate or surface are you thinking of using as your benchtop?

NOW… to the feature walls….I need to know what furniture you have, most importantly what furniture you will be keeping or replacing, and with what, per room.
Can I stick my very unknowledgable nose in here?
Sorry Michelle.... just thought these pics might help....

iTalk, I found this on realestate.com. It sort of follows the theme you like, but the floors are a bit darker and matt and really practical. The carpet is also a dark taupe/charcoal that would be a bit easier to keep clean than black.

They haven't actually used black, but more charcoals/taupes. I must admit, the bathroom is absolutely beautiful!!!!

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rs ... 1235812731
Oh and can I just say... I'm guessing you would love this type of challenge Michelle! Certainly isn't beige.

Good on you iTalk for having your own ideas and taste. You have to live in your home. Do what you love. Michelle, will help you heaps!
Wow Jo what a find!

iTalk…..if you were to ask me about the kitchen this is what I would say.

A black surface will show ever mark and wipe of the dishcloth, it will be a nightmare.
Now this kitchen below is the way to go…..
Only you would do all black cupboards, with a white benchtop and red splashback.

Michelle,

Your inputs are appreciated, so thank you very much
. You've been great support and I will certainly look at this kitchen design.

I just posted a link here in my 'Bardot 29' thread. It'd be very much appreciated if you could look at our 180 dergree turn out in our floor tiles taste.

Here is the link, https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.p ... 687#174687

Thanks
joles
Can I stick my very unknowledgable nose in here?
Sorry Michelle.... just thought these pics might help....

iTalk, I found this on realestate.com. It sort of follows the theme you like, but the floors are a bit darker and matt and really practical. The carpet is also a dark taupe/charcoal that would be a bit easier to keep clean than black.

They haven't actually used black, but more charcoals/taupes. I must admit, the bathroom is absolutely beautiful!!!!

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rs ... 1235812731

Joles this is exactly what we had in mind
Thanks mate, this is a great find ..
Michelle
Wow Jo what a find!

iTalk…..if you were to ask me about the kitchen this is what I would say.

A black surface will show ever mark and wipe of the dishcloth, it will be a nightmare.
Now this kitchen below is the way to go…..
Only you would do all black cupboards, with a white benchtop and red splashback.

This is great Michelle, thank you
Your colours are looking fantastic! In the new Ikea kitchen catalogue they had a full black kitchen with white flooring and I thought it looked great. Your splashes of red will really had some wow factor!!

Joles that house looks stunning!

I agree that everyone has their own tastes, so iTalk go for it!

I will just have to wait and see if I like it! Great ideas Michelle - your very helpful!
I wouldn't go for white floor tiles, unless you want to mop them twice a day!
lisa_may_22
I wouldn't go for white floor tiles, unless you want to mop them twice a day!

You gotta do what you gotta do if you want the sparkly, modern and open feel in the house
(I will have white porcelain, so a bit biased!)
Plus, if you go for a white grout it will be a nightmare.
The more you mop it, the dirtier the grout will get.
I have a girlfriend who is a cleaning fanatic, and she made the mistake of white tiles and white grout, she ended up having to regrout it after two years.
Not if you seal the grout.
Looks pretty in the display homes, but not very practical. I'm glad it won't be me mopping the floors!
Please follow up in this thread
https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.p ... 687#174687

We changed our mind and now we're going Dark grey tiles with light grey grout
Related
22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum